driving in the USA

cool chris

cool days, cool times, coolchris
Hi again,
Was just wandering what it was like to drive in the USA. I changed my uk paper driving licence to the new photo one, so that has relaxed me some what, but i'm getting confused about when i can turn while at a red light. Also are there plenty of road signs in the orlando area, I fear that i may get lost from sanford airport to international drive .

if anyone could help please do.

thanks cool chris:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Turning right for an american is like turning us turning left, ie a nearside turn where the passenger side of your car is "hugging" the kerb. If you are at a red light which are usually at crossroads and you are intending to turn right you can usually treat the red light as a give way and proceed if nothing is coming.
There are exceptions to this and if so there will be a sign under the light stating "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED"
The rule makes a lot of sense to me.

I find driving in the US easy. The roads and lanes are much wider.All the cars are automatic.People don't seem to speed as much or cut you up. I am sure there are bad and inconsiderate drivers there but I haven't come acoss many :D
On multi lane roads it's legal to pass either side so tou can pick a lane and stay in it.

Road signs are very different
Destination names are rare on signs. You need to know in advance the number of the roads you will be taking and the direction (ie West) you intend to travel and the numbers of any junctions where you will be changing roads/direction.
The sign for your turnoff is sometimes right at the sliproad.
At crossroads the road nname suspended above/under the lights is the road you are crossing not the road you are on.

Ken

I agree with Ken, we always found driving in the US quite easy. It is usually pretty well signposted. It's great being able to treat a right turn as a giveway unless otherwise stated - I think that should be brought in here - some chance!
The only tip I would give is to bring change for in the car for the drive to your hotel ie dollar bills to start or fives in case of tolls, the first year we went we hadn't realised this and there was some poking about in our bags to find some change :eek: HTH

Having small change for the tolls is an excellent tip - and one that I would give is get a map now - and just try to familiarise yourself with your route. It really is easy peasy - even I drove out in the USA - but getting the map beforehand really does help.

I got a Rand McNally one (plastic backed) from Amazon.

There are no roundabouts to worry about either! :) :) :)

Thanks all,
the change is a great tip, as to the map i have just bought an upgrade for my eMAP global postioning system (GPS) to help me but i will be buying a map.

cool chris:smooth:

cool chris

Just to reinforce what the others have said, that driving is easy and a pleasure in the US.

Traffic lights. Its pretty obvious but worth mentioning. Some lights have a green and red right turn filter as we do here.

Also.......beware the "box junction". Instead of a roundabout they have a four way junction where the first to reach his stop line has right of way. I've had a few close shaves, probably with other tourist's, where they go straight across your bow's as you are turning left :mad: everybody is supposed to stop before proceeding.....I'm really glad that we have roundabouts....I cant imagine the carnage that we would have over here with that type of junction.

I think the only junction of this type that I have come across in Orlando is at the very top of I Drive adjacent to the "Beltz" outlet.

Have a great day

Paul :cool:

I have always found driving in Florida to be quite enjoyable.

I avoid the express lanes at tolls (where you throw the money into a basket) for the first day or so - until I have got used to the size of car and my left arm throwing has improved. Nothing more embarassing than missing the basket!

Exceptions to the turn on red rule are signed quite clearly.

One warning though - at stop signs/give ways, you MUST come to a complete stop. Even if the route is clear.

With the new UK photo card licence, you have to carry the counterfoil (the paper section) part with you.

On my first trip to the US I got a ticking off my the local police for reversing into a parking bay - hadn't thought about it, but number plates are often only on the rear of the cars.

Navigating around is fairly simple, signposts around Orlando are pretty good, but it does help to brief yourself with a map prior to setting off. Although less relevent for Orlando, many of the areas you may drive through have road and street numbers - forming a grid. This makes getting from a to b an absolute doddle.

I agree with most of the earlier posts - driving in the US is generally much easier than out here. I must admit I was very apprehensive the first couple of times I was out there - but now I've driven in the US/Canada 6-7 times - it is becoming second nature.
I've found other drivers more considerate, no tail gating, and the wider roads and more lanes gives you more "personal space".
I agree, planning ahead helps - certainly being clear on which roads to take the first day or so (once you've got over the initial day - you'll be re-assured it is no big deal!)
My tip is - when you collect your car - spend some time familiarising yourself with all your controls & knobs - make sure you are seated comfortably, mirrors correctly positioned etc. Don't drive off until then - most of the rental staff are happy to spend time with you - keep asking them any questions and as many times - they won't mind.
Enjoy........

If you're really concerned about driving in the US and want to be swotty about it, you can go to the Florida drivers' manual. Most of it is pretty basic, but it might offer some helpful hints. Also, Triple A is the US's version of the RAC or the AA. A lot of the info is "member's only," but you can get some stuff without being a member. (One of the zip codes at WDW is 32830.)

Hope this helps, and keep an eye out for pedestrians! :D

:smooth: Driving in the USA is good (when you get use to it).
you are allowed to turn right on a red light:eek: unless the sign says you cant just be carefull to look to see if its safe.:confused:
if somebody is behind you they may well remind you with a toot on the horn:teeth: .There are no roundabouts in florida so getting on and off the highways is done by going round in a circle which can confuse you as sometimes you look as if youre heading the wrong way.Signs I struggled with on the first few occasions because some are very small and are at the road junctions which give you no warning before you have to turn.
My advise is take you time ,concentrate and teach the other half to read maps (mine can't:mad: )
It is very enjoyable
keep safe

Paul

.... when you come to traffic lights that are flashing amber, this does not mean that they are going to change to red. It means proceed with caution (as the policeman explained later). DH drove slower and slower, expecting them to turn red, and we ended up with a rear shunt!

Ann.

Hi
If you go into the virgin holiday's web site, there's a step by step guide to driving in America.
Jean

hiya chris,
last year we went to orlando,2 weeks on i/drive and the 3rd week
at longboat key in the gulf,for 2 weeks we went everywhere on public transport,which was excellent,the reason..i was very worried about driving in the u.s.....the 3rd week we had to get a hire car just because of the distances involved......within 10 mins it was if i had been driving there all my life,it was so easy,we went over the route the night before,marked the relevant junctions,i just wish i had hired my convertible at the beginning of the hols,next year we plan a fly drive,do the keys,back up the gulf coast,week at the parks.

enjoy your hols

mike:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter