Driving on Christmas Day!

cassmat

Mouseketeer
What will be open, I know the service center near Kingston is, or was last year, but what about once we are in the United States? I am a little concerned, plus hubby said if the weather was going to be bad on Christmas Day, we would leave On Christmas Eve, which is a huge problem, what would we do with the gifts??

We have left before on Christmas Day, I remember we ate dinner at a Denny's. I think if you are travelling a major route you will be able to find something open, just because there are a lot of people travelling then.

It depends on the ages of any kids, what to do leaving on Christmas Eve. Maybe if they are really little you can have Christmas early, they probably wouldn't know the difference. If they are old enough then they will understand. For those in between stages, I guess you could bring some with you and maybe leave big stuff behind and have someon leave them under the tree after you have left.

The problem will be that you could have trouble crossing the border with wrapped packages.

...from a NJ guy who's travelled over (what seems like) every square inch of the North American continent...I have this to offer if travelling on Christmas day...

a) once you cross into the US, rest assured that gas stations etc...will all remain open, with most open 24 hours at major interstate exits

b) even if the stations themselves are closed for "service". most major gas chains (Mobil, Shell, Exxon etc...) leave the pumps on for you to simply swipe your credit card and get your gas (I'm not sure if they do this in Canada yet)

c) Best bets for you if you cross from Kingston/401 to I-81 South in NY are to exit at Arsenal St, Watertown (half hour south from border) or Exit 29 N Syracuse (100 miles south from border)...these are major gas/food/lodging exits and these places always remain open all the time.

d) your concern about things being open in the US is ironic to me as I have the same concern when travelling in Canada...love those wide open spaces, but when you need gas, you need gas!!

Happy motoring!

and I know we stopped at a Tim Horton's that was fully open with rest room, etc. on 401 somewhere past Guelph & before Windsor. Real helpful I know!

Got gas at Windsor near border with a Wendy's there. A Shell station?

We think we didn't stop for dinner just TimBits. We had turkey sandwiches with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter