Driving with TT-stop over recomendations and tips needed

We take our TT from Maryland to WDW and take our time. Our first stop is always the Lazy Acres Campground in Fayetteville NC. Not far off I95, quiet, pull throughs, nice swimming pool to cool off and unwind for an hour, a lake for Bass fishing. Folks that run it are helpful. Low cost. Have had only positive experiences.

We live on large wooded property nearby as well. As long as our dogs stay home, they are fine. We don't take them to O'Leno at all because of the deer ticks. They have lots of warning posters about them, but people don't tend to think they are just generic warnings like any park has. In reality, its a serious problem there.

Okay, that IS creepy! I honestly don't know if there are trails. Maybe there are some weirdos around. I may have to rethink going there again.

When we were there, we had my daughters camper out on a shake-down trip close to home since she just got it. Turned out the toilet was leaking, which doesn't work for a grandma like myself. I have to pee like 4 or 5 times a night. Thankfully, we were right next to the bath house. Went in a 4:00 am one night. As I opened the door, I heard a stall door shut and lock, so I know there was another person in there too. Right as I walked in, there was a woman on the floor, in front of the sinks.

She was in in the position that Muslims pray (don't know how else to describe it) except her arms weren't outstretched. I asked her if she was okay and she said yes, she was just not feeling good. I asked her a couple more times if she needed help and she declined. I knew someone else was in a stall because I had heard it shut and lock. The first stall was empty, so I quickly used it ... couldn't hold it. No feet were showing on the floor in the back stall, so whoever it was was propped up on the toilet.

At that point, I was pretty sure it was a man in the other stall or the feet would not have been hidden. I went back out to the sinks and had to step around the floor woman's hair to wash my hands. While making a bunch of noise with water and dryer, I leaned down and whispered in her ear, asking if she needed me to call help. She still said no, she was fine.

I hightailed it back to our camper and locked the door. Pretty creepy stuff. I still don't know what was going on. Maybe there is a homeless population there? Since you saw people coming out of the woods randomly, and my late night bath house encounter, I'd guess that may be the case.

What a shame because it's a great place to kayak with the manatees.

Wow....that’s so strange. We didn’t see anyone at night, but the camper was locked up tight. Perhaps a game weekend? Too much imbibing due to our losses this year maybe

Our O'Leno days will be fewer as our son graduated in December. We couldn’t quite figure out where the ticks were coming from. We’ve never had them on our persons, and only our last visit did they have ticks. They’re a long hair breed.....so it’s quite a bit combing through looking for them.

Hi Pam, We're from your area, just a bit north on the other side of the Canadian border, Kingston Ontaio. It's 1,405 miles to WDW for us. We're retired and we take our time on the trip.

Our preferred route is I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 - it bypasses the Baltimore/Washington area altogether. Our usual first night stop is either Harrisburg East Campground at Harrisburg PA or Western Village RV Park at Carlisle PA. The second night it either the KOA at Wytheville VA or the KOA at Statesville NC. Our third night is usually Coastal Georgia RV Resort at Brunswick GA. From there it's only a couple of hours to WDW so you get there early for check-in and set up.

You could go I-90 to Erie and I-79 south to I-77 and face Pittsburgh traffic, or you could head south on I-390 and connect with I-81 near Harrisburg. I'm not familiar with the roads in that corridor to Harrisburg.

If you're more aggressive than we are, or in more of a rush, the KOA's at Wytheville or Statesville could be a good half way point for you, whichever way you go.

That's my 2¢ worth!

:offtopic:
CDN the next time you are coming thru let me know, your first night stops are about 20 mins from us.

For the original OP, if you take the 77 route down, Ft Chiswell is in VA, we stay there all the time, and then the KOA at exit one in GA, also a great place. We have also stayed at Green Acres in SC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!