Droid Show and Tell

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
Show me the droids!

What kind of droid did you build at Mubo's? What's it named? What's its story?

Kicking it off:

This is R6-O98 (also known as the Noisy Child), who I built last January. I knew going in that I wanted to build an R series because they're classic, because they drive more easily, and because they offer more opportunities for customization. Though I'd looked at pictures beforehand, I didn't make a plan for what he'd look like, wanting to let the Force guide me and put him together however felt right. I did decide the second half of his designation before my trip, though: O98 refers to my first visit to WDW in October 1998. I did my research ahead of time to be sure I could tell the different dome types apart so I could identify which R-series I'd built. He's got the orange resistance personality chip, which I like to say is a case of Mubo selling me used goods and causing me to end up with a droid that dragged me into the fight.

On my next trip in September (fingers crossed I don't have to cancel) I'm thinking about buying a pack each of white and black panels to mix and match on his front. I'm, uh, also considering building an R5 sibling for him, but I'm trying to talk myself out of it since I'm already planning to build a second droid to celebrate running the WDW Marathon in January (fingers crossed on that one, too). But I'm planning to build an R2 in January, so it's different, right?

I dig it. I passed on building a droid or a lightsaber on my last visit, but I kinda wish I had. I really think they are cool and like the customization options. Well, if I can ever go back (sigh) I will be getting one or the other for sure!

I haven't built one yet, but when I almost booked a slot I could not decide which type to get. I like the classic R2 style, but love BB8 as well. If the R2 style is easier to drive I might go with that. I like that you had part of your droid planned and let the rest be up to the force. Maybe I would know for sure once I got inside the building!

I haven't built one yet, but when I almost booked a slot I could not decide which type to get. I like the classic R2 style, but love BB8 as well. If the R2 style is easier to drive I might go with that. I like that you had part of your droid planned and let the rest be up to the force. Maybe I would know for sure once I got inside the building!
The good news is that you don't have to decide until you arrive and pay. And maybe you'll just have a gut feeling when you get there! I haven't actually driven one of the BB units but I based my "easier to drive" comment on the general consensus I've read in reviews and reports. I also felt like the BB unit wouldn't give me as many options to customize; as far as I can tell you really only get to pick the head and the sphere and you're done.

Love these droids. Have reservations for 2 to build in September (1 for me and 1 for DD). Do we still need reservations though with the lower capacity? I might cancel so we aren’t obligated to a certain time if we can just walk in and build.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!