Drop factor: Journey to the Center of the Earth vs Gringotts?

Laineyrose

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm a BIG wuss and can't deal with drops. I did Gringotts in Universal Orlando for the sake of my love for Harry Potter, it was just within the range of my acceptance of a drop.

I also rode the Seven Dwarfs mine train, and I was so spooked and terrified and shaking it ruined the entire Magic Kingdom day for me =( Luckily there was a second day planned to Magic Kingdom so I was able to enjoy Magic Kingdom on the second visit.

I really wanted to try Journey to the Center of the Earth, but the drop at the end looks terrifying and long!!! I've tried looking at youtube videos, but it's dark and very hard to see.

FYI, I'm a grown adult. I'm not sure why but I can't deal with drop rides. I'll all for trying it out, but I'm afraid that it would ruin my visit to Disney Sea and I'm only there for 1 day.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Is the Seven Dwarfs mine train at WDW the same as Shanghai? If so and if it scared you, then you should definitely avoid Journey.

I found the mine train at Shanghai to be extremely tame (and quite dull after hearing it hyped so much). It's nothing like Journey.

I'm going to go with a no for Journey. I've not been on Gringotts, but have been on 7 Dwarves in MK. I went on Journey in '09 and it starts really slow and boring and then suddenly feels more coasterish. It was more intense than 7 Dwarves, but not what I would consider intense. Can you go on Splash Mountain? My daughter and I felt like the drop on Splash in TDR was "better" aka longer and bigger than in WDW but it could also just be a visual. I also thought overall there were a few more drops on TDR Splash.

Sorry I've never been on gringotts so i can't compare them. However I would say that it is very comparable to splash mountain. I would consider journey a dark ride with a drop like splash at the end. Not a rollercoaster at at all.

However I would say that it is very comparable to splash mountain. I would consider journey a dark ride with a drop like splash at the end. Not a rollercoaster at at all.

I agree with this comparison. Although the ride vehicle is similar to Test Track/Radiator Springs (in its mechanics, not how it looks), most of the ride is slow-moving ... until the end. The vehicle accelerates up a "corkscrew" track and then has a drop which could be compared to Splash Mountain.

But I would try to find a way to experience it, for the sheer level of detail. The only comparison I can come up with is the portion of the Universal ET attraction in which you visit ET's home planet, only with a darker tone. (How often do you see a Disney attraction that's more "extreme" than a Universal attraction?) Perhaps try to get a Fastpass timed for the end of the day?

Likewise, I take it that the Tower of Terror is a non-starter for you? (Note that the Japanese version has shoulder belts.)

The Splash drop is much more intense, I'd say the Journey one is comparable with the big one in the dark in Big Thunder Mountain.

Journey is honestly one of the best Disney rides I've ever been on and I'd really recommend giving it a go.

Forced perspective and a couple of other imagineering tricks make it seem like a much larger drop than it actually is. IMO Journey was less intense than Radiator Springs Racers.

Journey is not intense at all, not nearly like Splash. This is a purely fun ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts