DVC for family of 6?

tcbdlb

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow DVCers,
This is my first post and would like to know if DVC makes sense for my family. We currently have a 2 1/2 yo and my wife is expecting triplets in Jan.!!
Would it make sense to buy into DVC? I have done research in the past and we are both Disney Fanatics but would probably not be able to go until sometime in 2003 and then probably every other year to Disney/Orlando.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Travis

I'm still too new to DVC to be able to offer any advice about whether it would be right for you.

Just wanted to say congratulations on your rapidly expanding family :) Triplets and a 2 1/2 year old? Does that mean you'll be in need of a vacation, or that you've been taking too many vacations already? ;)

Thank you for the congrats. We are experiencing exhiliration and shock at the same time!

It's a little of both, this happened while on vacation!!

One of my primary reasons for considering DVC in 1994: we were a family of 5, and the most affordable lodgings were for a maximum of 4 people. This probably has changed since many nice off-site locations have opened that offer larger suites at a reasonable cost, but as for the on-site locations, I think DVC is a winner in the long term.

Also, I have always encouraged families with young children to consider joining. My main reget about DCV (other than not knowing about it until 1994), was that it was not there when my kids were pre-school age. We could have went more often and at any time of the year since school would not have been a concern.

My main advice would be to limit your expectations of DVC to what is printed in the contract and to ask ANY question you have by calling the guide at the 800 number. You can not call him/her too many times, and there are NO stupid questions. I'll bet you can not come up with a question that none of them heard before.

I hope you make the decision that is best for you, but I can't help saying that any family with triplets deserves some R&R at a DCV each year.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hmmm, let's see: have you read Doc's DVC 'frequently asked questions' page?

http://www.disboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1571

I would start with that. I would say that it might be a good match for you, if a) you love Disney World, and b) think you would probably be able to make it down every other year or so. Just keep in mind that when your triplets get a little bit older, you will probably have to get 2BR accomodations, so count on using up more points each stay. By the way, I found out recently on these boards that supposedly, children are both free into the theme parks until age 3, and they eat for free at many WDW restaurants as well. So with that in mind, we're trying to schedule as many DVC trips as possible before my DS turns 3! :D

Congrats, and wishes for good health for your wife and babies.
Yes, I would think that you are a good match for DVC. Being a disney fanatic, having a young family, and a large family are all great reasons to join DVC.
We are a family of 7. We joined when BWV opened. Our oldest was 15yrs and our youngest was only an infant (at the time we bought.) We had been going to Disney every year for years and buying at BWV was perfect for us. We now go more often and stay longer. The best part about the villas ( 1 bdrm and larger) is how much more relaxing it is when you have young children. You no longer need to pack for more than a few days because you have a washer/dryer. You can enjoy coffee and serve up some cereal /toast/ eggs before heading to the parks ( no more hassle of trying to get through a breakfast with toddlers, who just don't want to wait !)
Now that the kids are older, we usually eat our meals out, but it was great to have that option back when they were younger. I think DVC offers so much for young/large families, my only regret is BWV wasn't built sooner so I could have bought in and saved some $$$$$

First of all Congratulations and best wishes for a happy and healthy pregancy!!!

DVC is great for larger families. We are 5 and joined in October. It is so much more comfortable with the little ones. We would have to get 2 hotels rooms to accomodate us as the girls get older and there are no guarentees that the rooms would be connecting!!! With a 2 bedroom, each girls can bring a friend (of course when they get older!!!!!!).

Good luck! Don't forget to let us know the outcome of the pregnancy!!!

JonHM said:

Just keep in mind that when your triplets get a little bit older, you will probably have to get 2BR accomodations, so count on using up more points each stay.

Actually, they will need to plan for a 2 BR now, not when their triplets get older. A Studio or 1 BR will only hold a total of 5 people (4 + 1 child <3 ) and they will have 6 (2 adults, 1 child, 3 children < 3). Plus, with 4 kids, they're gonna want a bedroom all to themselves ;).

Travis,
Just had a baby and good luck to you!!! Are you sure you will be able to afford the DVC? (just kidding) Three kids at once, I thought I was getting no sleep.

If you do buy DVC, make sure that to take into account the size of the future accomodations, not what you need now. The previous poster was right. We have added on twice, and may do it again (you never know). You will need at least a two bedroom and should consider that even if you don't use it for the first couple of years.

Also, look at the point charts and see what time of year you will typically go. This too will help you plan the amount of points to purchase.

We really think that the chance to change the size of you room and when you can make these reservations is a great feature and I'm sure that you will agree.

Best of luck, and have an uneventful pregnancy and I hope things go well for all of you.

Congratulations and good luck. Wow - triplets. We have 2 year old twins so we at least have a flavor of what you will go through.

Unless you have a great deal of money to spend on hotel rooms DVC is the cheapest way to stay on site at Disney in my opinion. We bought before the kids were born and have never regretted it. Being able to put the kids down in a bedroom and have couple time in the living room is the greatest. Just like at home except you are AT DISNEY!!!

Disney fanatics... family of 6... plan to visit at least every other year... sounds like a good possibility to me. :D

You didn't say whether two rooms at the All Stars, a Cabin at FWC, an offsite villa or seeking discounts/private DVC rentals would work for you or not. If not, and you would plan to spend the money on two moderate rooms onsite or a suite/villa onsite anyway (and can afford DVC), then DVC would probably work quite well for you. Remember to look at the points you'd need for a 2-BR and consider your school schedule in the coming years as you look at your points charts. That will affect your vacation needs for the next 18-19 years or more. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas.

We would rather have the availability of the separate living areas particularly the kitchen and means to save some money regarding dining expenses. Granted we want to enjoy the WDW cuisine but this way we have the option to sleep in and grab a quick bite in our room.

I am not familiar with renting points but may be a more viable option than purchasing. This way we wouldn't feel obligated to use our points(based on such an expensive purchase, ie, I don't buy cars to park them in the garage) and would avoid the annual dues altogether.

I really appreciate your help, any and all ideas are welcome!

Most people that rent thier points are typically looking to recover at least their annual dues on those points, plus a little (or a lot) - so I wouldn't suggest that renting points would be a good alternative to buying. Besides the fact that there's a certain amount of risk with point rentals, you can never be certain that you'll be able to pick up all the points you need.

Let's take a look - figure you want to rent 200 points; at $10/point (right now), this is going to run $2000. That's basically a downpayment on DVC and the dues on 200 points worst case (right now) would only run $800.

Renting points might be a good way to try out a resort, or extend a vacation if you already own points, but it's not really a cost effective alternative to actually owning.

I have to agree with Firefighter Mickey. Renting is a good way to check out the resorts, but buying is still the better value. You can either bank points for use every 2-3 years, or rent out any extra points to help recoup your maintainance when you aen't going to use them yourself. We wish we would have done this when DVC first came available, but we weren't too smart about it and waited until just after the free pass option ended. Haven't quit kicking ourselves yet, and that was over 4 years ago!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter