DVC for moderates and values?

tb1972

DVC since 2012
Last week while sitting at the Geyser Point bar, the bartender indicated that Disney is planning to include moderates and values in DVC. I'm not sure there's truth to this? I'd heard a rumor about Caribbean Beach DVC but not sure that's factual?

The photos of the Riviera look very plain and sterile like a Holiday Inn. I don't see any imagination with the theming like other DVC resorts.

There is nothing in that article that says anything about it being a moderate. With the rooftop restaurant and all that planned I think the general consensus is it will be deluxe like the others.

It may or may not be, but there has been talk of it.. on this board, in the past. This is where that little search box is handy.

I don’t believe Riviera is going to be a moderate. I would be very surprised if Disney started making moderates and values into DVC properties because they don’t have all the amentities that the DVC resorts have. The Riviera is modeled after a resort called “The Riviera” in south France. It is/was the “playground” of the rich. I don’t believe it would be plain or lack theming of any kind, just be based on the Riviera in France. Please correct any of my information if it’s wrong.

I don’t believe Riviera is going to be a moderate. I would be very surprised if Disney started making moderates and values into DVC properties because they don’t have all the amentities that the DVC resorts have. The Riviera is modeled after a resort called “The Riviera” in south France. It is/was the “playground” of the rich. I don’t believe it would be plain or lack theming of any kind, just be based on the Riviera in France. Please correct any of my information if it’s wrong.

Why not have moderate DVC's? And yes, they're coming. As mentioned by the OP, CBR might be the first. There's a lot to know about how they'll work, but the demand is there for them.

Yes, the little search box IS handy for looking up the general consensus on a topic that has been tossed around for several months.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/riviera-resort.3631646/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-riviera-resort.3618463/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-riviera-resort.3618463/

Isn't it neat the way that works... :rolleyes1

I think we will see DVD taking over areas around the moderate and value resorts, and turning them into Deluxe DVC resorts. Especially at the resorts that don't have high occupancy rates. I don't see DVD diluting the DVC brand or lowering pricing on new resorts, but what really will make a difference will be the point charts for reservations.

Riviera is not moderate. With its rooftop signature restaurants and independent gondola station, it will be sold as very high end, perhaps approaching Grand Floridian. It will have a buy in and points per night to match.
There's no logical reason why DVD would build moderate DVC. It could only be sold at less than deluxe, and it would thus be a massive income hit, as they sell each one in 2 years, and then immediately start another.
Value and moderate guests would also spend less probably when there.
Also trade outs- how would that work. They'd never start saying the points would have lesser value, so people buying value DVC would be booking up the high end resorts.

^Like the above, I do not believe it will be sold or touted as a moderate. There is no indication they are going to make the rooms smaller like a moderate or have no grand villas. If there is anything "moderate," it might be that its point per night cost may be a tad lower than Poly or VGF. although even that is questionable when you see they are emphasizing a new top of the building restaurant and being next to a skyway station where you can get a gondola either to Studios or Epcot.

^Like the above, I do not believe it will be sold or touted as a moderate. There is no indication they are going to make the rooms smaller like a moderate or have no grand villas. If there is anything "moderate," it might be that its point per night cost may be a tad lower than Poly or VGF. although even that is questionable when you see they are emphasizing a new top of the building restaurant and being next to a skyway station where you can get a gondola either to Studios or Epcot.

I would agree with this. I was under the impression that Disney is moving away from the Value/Moderate/Deluxe distinctions for their cash hotel rooms anyway. I think DVC resorts have differences in location and age reflected in the point chart and direct buy-in cost. With the restaurant with fireworks viewing and gondola, I'm also not sure the point chart will be less than Poly. With the aging monorail, the gondolas may run much more efficiently :P

Well shoot.....if the bartender said it....that's far more reliable than a bus driver :joker:

Disney does not make DVC "value" or "moderate". They would not be able to charge the same buy in price, they would have to have lower points usage, and imagine the outcry of current members of higher prices resorts if "lower" class moderate owners booked their "deluxe" resort?

Value or moderate DVC could only work if it were an entirely new section of ownership. Like, an entirely new DVC group separate from the original. Original DVC resorts not interchangeable with old DVC resorts. That's just an entire headache and hassle that seems far too unrealistic. The above comments make more sense. Turning a value or moderate property (or part of that property in this case) into a deluxe resort and selling it as DVC.

"Is Disney's Riviera Resort the first Moderate-class DVC property?
Absolutely not. While it is being constructed on land that formerly housed Moderate hotel rooms, expect Disney to go to great lengths to separate Riviera from Caribbean Beach. It will be a Deluxe destination like other Disney Vacation Club properties...with prices to match."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!