Dvc.... is it for a lifetime or capped out?

We purchased two resale contacts (200 points each) at BLT. We couldn’t be happier! We don’t necessarily go every year, but close to it.

As our girls got older, a 2 bedroom became a necessity. We like our space, they like their space, and two bathrooms (some have 3) are a must.

It’s hard now to stay somewhere that doesn’t have a kitchen (we eat breakfast in the room and bring our own snacks to the pool). We also love having the washing machine and dryer. We pack for half of the trip and do laundry. It’s so easy...throw a load in when we wake up, throw it in the dryer when we leave for the day. We also wash while we shower.

We have stayed in a Grand Villa at BLT with family and a 2 bedroom at VGF. Those have been our favorites. Next up is a 2 bedroom savanna view at AK!

We have absolutely gotten our money’s worth out of DVC, and I don’t see us selling any time soon.

Last edited:
I completely understand getting tired of it for some people. I’ve gone since I was 5 years old every year with my family and then again once I had our first daughter and can’t get enough of it. I can’t wait to experience it with my grandchildren and love seeing older couples by themselves there enjoying the experience in a different way. But I can tell you right now that my husband isn’t a fan like I am so I’m not sure the investment is worth it if we can’t go other places. I personally have no desire to do a Disney Cruise. We cruise a lot and I’d much rather go on other cruise lines. I thought you could vacation anywhere not just Disney?
It’s super confusing about when the resort opened and how long you have before it expires. So the older dvc’s Could be expiring very soon. Do they still pay the same as the newer ones like the Polynesian villas? And are they going by when the resort opened or villa opened? If resort then contemporary only has about 10-15 more years?

The Contemporary is not a DVC resort. However, Bay Lake Towers right next to the Contemporary is.
Some DVC resorts such as Boardwalk Villas and Old Key West will expire in 2042. So, 24 more years.

The newer ones will go longer. When I purchased 17 years ago, that was a plus for me - I felt that it was enough. I still feel that way.

You can buy DVC as a resale for a less expensive price than retail from Disney. It is still expensive.

You should read and ask questions on the DVC boards. Take your time.

It has saved me money, but it is specific for all, as we don't all have the same budgets and needs and wants. I used studios for years but now with grandchildren I need at least a one bedroom for my own sanity. A single room for more than 1 night in a deluxe - barely manageable! At Pop Century - not for me! Yet families stay there all the time. Your mileage will vary.

I researched it for probably two years and made spreadsheets to determine cost effectiveness before we bought. We ultimately bought 100 points resale for about $80/point at Saratoga Springs (lower maintenance fees but never stay there). We are a family of 5 and really like staying onsite and with a kitchen. We recouped our cost easily. For years this was the best vacation spot for us, and we went almost every year. We also stayed at Disneyland and Hilton Head on those points. We would have never been able to pay cash at those rates. If southwest starts flying to HI, we may use them for Aulani.

Now that our kids are older, we are not going as often, we are focusing on the rest of the world. It is possible that we will sell ours by 2020. At today's prices, we will make a tiny profit. I imagine, worst case scenario, we will get our purchase price back, so we will have had all these trips for just the cost of the maintenance fees (between $400-500/yr for us).

So, for us, it was a great deal. But I don't think it would be for everyone, and I certainly would think twice about paying the full fees directly from Disney.
I heard SW is going to be flying to Hawaii.

Reale will save you money, but you will no get any perks. Disney took that away about a year ago.

I bought 250 BWV points in 1999 @$65/point. Never regretted it! I’ll be 82 when it expires, so safe to say it’s pretty much the rest of my vacationing life (who knows!). Already have gotten more than my money’s worth. Just came back from 6 nights in a BWV studio, boardwalk view. Love it!

I bought BWV resale (from a real estate firm) for $65/point in 2012 after going to WDW 24 times in 8 years. I never thought our family of 5 would outgrow it but we did very quickly. After just 2 family trips DVC my oldest said she had had enough. I still go. I'm not ready to give it up but we did buy too late.

Be sure you look into purchasing resale. And be sure you look to see if renting points would work for you.

Also be sure you stay in a villa in the resort you purchase at before buying. I stayed at BWI 6 times before buying there but it is NOT my favorite DVC. I prefer BLT or AKV Kidani over BWV.

hmm, have to think about it

tenor.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter