DVC Points Swap for Cruise

Not sure about swapping but I have dealt with David's before in renting my points and they are a reputable company. One things for sure I will never use points for a Disney cruise again. You just don't get fair value for the points. Next time I will rent my points through Davids and pay cash for the cruise. The only time I used points for a cruise I could have rented my points then used the cash to pay for the cruise, pay for my airfare and still had a couple hundred dollars left over for spending.

Not sure about swapping but I have dealt with David's before in renting my points and they are a reputable company. One things for sure I will never use points for a Disney cruise again. You just don't get fair value for the points. Next time I will rent my points through Davids and pay cash for the cruise. The only time I used points for a cruise I could have rented my points then used the cash to pay for the cruise, pay for my airfare and still had a couple hundred dollars left over for spending.

From what I can tell, David's is doing this for you by giving you the dollar value of renting your points and converting it to a cruise for you. He claims that a cruise that normally would take 282 DVC points, he can get for you for 201 DVC points. This makes better use of points. We have never taken a cruise and most likely will not take any, or at least many more. We will have an excess of points in 2017 so I thought this would be a good time to try one. Even so, I don't want to waste points either! He also says your reservation will be basically a cash reservation, which I am hearing has fewer restrictions than when booking through DVC and no fees? I will check into this more next week, but hoping to hear if anyone here has looked into this.

It sounds appealing. I am more interested in longer cruises, like Transatlantic.

We used points to cruise last year on the 4 night Dream on September 7th. Had a great time so we called to reserve the same cruise in the same room in 2016. Over 30% more points required for the 2016 cruise over the 2015 cruise. I called DVC to ask about it and they said that DCL sets the point value for cruises. Some simple math showed that renting points to David's is the way to go. It was a better deal (cruising) when we joined in 1997

Hmmmm interesting.
We have used David's before with great results. We then use the cash for the cruise.
Fantasy 7 day 2 people 516 points
Sold 300 points to cover 3300$ price tag.
Saved 216 points for next time!

I contacted David's about this and will likely use them to book my cruise. In short, they are eliminating a step by booking the cruise for you instead of sending you a check for renting out your points. They look into the cash amount the cruise would cost and then convert that into the number of points you need to give them to rent. The point savings will obviously vary upon what you choose (room type, category, part of the ship, length of cruise, which ship, and so on) so you need to check with them directly on your particular cruise. On one example I asked about, the cruise would have cost me around 300 points booking through DVC, but using David's would only cost me around 200 points. They told me another example where someone this morning saved 54 points on a cruise.

So it looks like if you are the type that wants to make your own reservations and control the process, then you probably wouldn't want to do this. Instead you would rent out your points and let them send you the money. If you don't mind them making the reservation for you, then their offer is something you should consider.

I contacted David's about this and will likely use them to book my cruise. In short, they are eliminating a step by booking the cruise for you instead of sending you a check for renting out your points. They look into the cash amount the cruise would cost and then convert that into the number of points you need to give them to rent. The point savings will obviously vary upon what you choose (room type, category, part of the ship, length of cruise, which ship, and so on) so you need to check with them directly on your particular cruise. On one example I asked about, the cruise would have cost me around 300 points booking through DVC, but using David's would only cost me around 200 points. They told me another example where someone this morning saved 54 points on a cruise.

So it looks like if you are the type that wants to make your own reservations and control the process, then you probably wouldn't want to do this. Instead you would rent out your points and let them send you the money. If you don't mind them making the reservation for you, then their offer is something you should consider.

I'd think that using David's to simplify the process would also be giving up cancellation or any refund possibilities on the cruise too, much like booking a DVC stay thru them.

We used points to cruise last year on the 4 night Dream on September 7th. Had a great time so we called to reserve the same cruise in the same room in 2016. Over 30% more points required for the 2016 cruise over the 2015 cruise. I called DVC to ask about it and they said that DCL sets the point value for cruises. Some simple math showed that renting points to David's is the way to go. It was a better deal (cruising) when we joined in 1997

The prices for Disney Cruises went WAY up in 2016 for some reason. We had one booked for 2015, but had to cancel due to our baby. We were going to rebook for 2016, but the price increase was just too much, particularly now that we needed a third in the room.

But what you were told was true, the reason why the point requirement went up is because the cruises all went up in price.

I really like this idea, we have taken 4 Disney cruises on points, and will save some points with this service, thanks David, for making it easy for us.

Not at all. The same DCL cancellation policy applies and your money is sent to you if you no longer want to sail.

~ David
Great to know! Definitely think it is a great option to offer members!!!

This is actually an old idea, posted about 10 years ago by gblast123 (banned person) both here and on the "other mouse board".. He took a lot of flak for offering to pay for a cruise if people gave him the points.

I know this is an older thread. But if you went through this way would it eliminate the need to pay taxes on rented points to IRS?

I know this is an older thread. But if you went through this way would it eliminate the need to pay taxes on rented points to IRS?
Technically I doubt it but it'd make it even more difficult for the IRS to track. Since I haven't used them, I don't know if David's sends out a 1099 but I read somewhere that one broker was doing so. If they do I would assume they would send out one for a rental turned to DCL as well.

Technically I doubt it but it'd make it even more difficult for the IRS to track. Since I haven't used them, I don't know if David's sends out a 1099 but I read somewhere that one broker was doing so. If they do I would assume they would send out one for a rental turned to DCL as well.
David's is based in Canada, so they don't issue 1099's. That obviously doesn't change the owner's legal responsibility to report their income.

David's is based in Canada, so they don't issue 1099's. That obviously doesn't change the owner's legal responsibility to report their income.
Thanks, I know I saw that one was, wasn't sure which one was or wasn't. I agree, it doesn't change the responsibility. I guess one question is whether it would come under a rental or barter situation. I'd presume a rental and then using the proceeds for the cash option.

Thanks, I know I saw that one was, wasn't sure which one was or wasn't. I agree, it doesn't change the responsibility. I guess one question is whether it would come under a rental or barter situation. I'd presume a rental and then using the proceeds for the cash option.
Regardless, the fair market value of the bartered item is still included as income. That might actually make a trade worse. Can you adjust the costs basis of the bartered item the way you can when you rent out points?

Regardless, the fair market value of the bartered item is still included as income. That might actually make a trade worse. Can you adjust the costs basis of the bartered item the way you can when you rent out points?

Good to know..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter