DVC QUESTIONS

The money lost on missing a couple of trips on points is minimal. If one is truly informed about the process and resort, they'll make a better decision. But if I were going to buy without true knowledge of on property or the intricacies of the timeshare, I'd want to buy the cheaper options of SSR, AKV or BLT so I could turn around and resale for a loss of around 10% rather than the much higher loss (% & $$) of a retail purchase.

I would also suggest renting DVC or at least exporing the resorts you are interested in before buying. DVC isn't right for everybody, so best to test drive it.

Some other important notes:
  • DVC works best for people able to plan 11 months in advance, or at least 7. Once you hit 7, even in lower season, things start getting dicier, even with 1BRs.
  • If you are hoping to book at 6 months or less regularly, buying points direct is foolish unless you're buying only a 50-point contract. You will never see benefit from Home Resort if you are trying to use DVC as a last minute booking.
  • Each resort that comes online makes 7 month or less bookings harder.
  • Booking short-term for fall is a losing proposition without extreme split stays, stalking and waitlist intimacy
  • Unit configurations are not those of typical hotel units, and should be reviewed for suitability.
  • Housekeeping is not daily.
  • Dues are an annual expense and go up each year. You may skip a year of travel, but you never get to skip dues.

These are all great answers. I do recommend renting a few times at the resorts you have an interest in, and while you are there go check out some of the other DVC resorts. Do some calculations of what purchasing would look like for you over a 5-10 year period; such as all the associated costs in purchasing, annual dues, expected number of trips and and what types of accommodations you would expect to use. Compare your calculations to what you would do in the same 5-10 year period if you didn't own DVC. If the value is there along with the your enjoyment of a resort (once you visit); I think it would be worth considering purchasing.

Awe you all are awesome!! I'm not purchasing anything yet and I'm still trying to find a good time to go. Hopefully we will see what Disney is like the 1st of May. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere to stay on site this Dec. The vacation wasn't last min but finding a DVC resort was last min. I was initially just going to walk around the resorts when we got there but I do agree with everyone it may be better to stay on site. Hopefully trying to rent points will go through!! Also I haven't seen a lot of April UY dates via resale. If going to Disney in May works for us then I think April would be a good use year since we also like to go the end of Aug or beginning of Sept. That would give me enough time to bank if I needed. Any reason why they don't come available too often?

Awe you all are awesome!! I'm not purchasing anything yet and I'm still trying to find a good time to go. Hopefully we will see what Disney is like the 1st of May. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere to stay on site this Dec. The vacation wasn't last min but finding a DVC resort was last min. I was initially just going to walk around the resorts when we got there but I do agree with everyone it may be better to stay on site. Hopefully trying to rent points will go through!! Also I haven't seen a lot of April UY dates via resale. If going to Disney in May works for us then I think April would be a good use year since we also like to go the end of Aug or beginning of Sept. That would give me enough time to bank if I needed. Any reason why they don't come available too often?

Depends on the resort. At some resorts, April is an uncommon UY. Example, Poly: http://dvcnews.com/images/multithumb_thumbs/b_1200_800_0_10_images_stories_poly_Poly_Use_Year.png

It's probably too late to rent points for December.

It can be. Proportion depends on resort. DVCNews has them for all sold out resorts.

February is a pretty common UY for most resorts, if you are flexible.

Last edited:

UY is assigned when DVD first sold the contract, almost nothing to do with what the buyer wanted so popularity has nothing to do with it. For some reason DVD sells more of some UY's compared to others. At BLT it seemed that they sold February for the longest time.

:earsboy: Bill

Hey everyone,
Still haven't bought. Still researching and still going to stay at DVC next year to see how I like it but in the meantime I have another question. Let’s say I own 200pts. 100 at SSR and 100 at BWV. At the 7 month mark I want to use my 200 points at VGF but VGF let’s say cost 250 for the week. Am I able to borrow from my next years points? And if so, which bucket would they borrow out of if I owned at 2 different resort?

Hey everyone,
Still haven't bought. Still researching and still going to stay at DVC next year to see how I like it but in the meantime I have another question. Let’s say I own 200pts. 100 at SSR and 100 at BWV. At the 7 month mark I want to use my 200 points at VGF but VGF let’s say cost 250 for the week. Am I able to borrow from my next years points? And if so, which bucket would they borrow out of if I owned at 2 different resort?

Yes, you can borrow. You get to pick the bucket.

Hey everyone,
As noted, yes assuming they re in the same master account. There are ways to do it if they are not but it's more complicated.

Yeah it would be the same. I want everything as easy as possible!! Reservations not included since I know they can be a hassle sometimes ( give or take the time of year )

Hey Everyone,

So I have another question about borrowing. If I have 100 points UY Aug 2017 and I use all the points in 2017 before Aug UY 2018 can I borrow any points from UY Aug 2018 to go on a another trip before UY Aug 2018?

Thanks again :) ( p.s still haven't bought )

Hey Everyone,

So I have another question about borrowing. If I have 100 points UY Aug 2017 and I use all the points in 2017 before Aug UY 2018 can I borrow any points from UY Aug 2018 to go on a another trip before UY Aug 2018?

Thanks again :) ( p.s still haven't bought )

Yes, all 100. Once pulled out they can not be put back into 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter