DVC rooms feel deluxe?

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I’ve been waiting to purchase DVC just waiting for the right contract but reading posts on the boards is making me second guess this. I was really interested in DVC for being able to stay at the deluxe resorts that I could never afford to pay out of pocket for each trip. However, I feel like I keep seeing posts of owners complaining that the DVC rooms don’t actually feel deluxe (I know they aren’t all technically categorized as “deluxe”) but is this true? Are the DVC rooms at these resorts less deluxe feeling than the regular rooms at the DVC resorts? If this is the case I’d rather just save the money and keep booking at AKL out of pocket and mixing moderate stays in in between.

Thanks!

What is "deluxe" to you? I feel like it's really subjective - but I think deluxe for Disney is a resort that has a lot going on, the room is nicely furnished with cute touches, balcony, the pools are really nice with a slide at least at one and a quiet pool option, and that there is a great selection of on site food options (both quick service, lounge and table service) AND with some great transportation options.

I have always felt they were comparable. Of course, the big piece is being able to stay in larger units when you take others.

The only missing for some is the second bed vs. the pull out. But I have never found that as an issue.

I think they do tend to be a little less than the cash rooms, but it varies. As a general blanket statement that is correct in my opinion. (By not by far and large)
I did not buy for the "deluxe" room, I bought in for the "deluxe" RESORT.

2 contracts in and I am still mixing in stays at the moderates.

ETA:
It seems to me that Disney refurbish there cash rooms with greater frequency

You can definitely see lots of room photos online to compare room designs, which do differ between DVC and hotel wings of the same resort. There are some resorts where I think the DVC rooms look nicer (e.g., I like the Copper Creek design better than the Wilderness Lodge design), and other resorts where I think the opposite (e.g., Boardwalk Inn vs Villas)--but that is so subjective. Also, a lot of how nice the room is depends on how recently it was refurbished, so sometimes will depend on timing.

For resorts that have both DVC and non-DVC rooms, sometimes the location is essentially the same (e.g., In Jambo House, there are regular and DVC rooms in the same building), and sometimes DVC has a totally separate building (e.g. Bay Lake Tower, Kidani). That can make a difference as well because the separate building will have its own lobby, pools, dining etc. -- which can create a different "feel" for the resort overall.

The biggest differences from my perspective that may make DVC seem less "deluxe" are (1) studio rooms tend to have one bed and one pull-out couch instead of two beds; and (2) you don't get housekeeping daily. Others don't care about housekeeping, but I feel that is a pretty big drawback of DVC--I don't like to have to worry about making beds, replacing towels, or taking out trash on vacation.

IMO the DVC rooms are just as nice if not nicer than the regular resort rooms. All are updated on a regular basis, 5 year soft goods reno, 10 years hard good reno. Do some of them have wear and tear, sure but not any less than I've seen in regular hotel rooms. I've never been in any room that I felt was run down and I've stayed at every DVC resort on property multiple times. I think what you will find with DVC members is that we are very passionate about our membership and if we see something that disney is doing that devaluates our investments we get very vocal about it. Also because we pay to have the resorts kept at a certain level we have very high expectations. I dont see this as a bad thing but I can see where someone like you might take that as things are falling apart. I can tell you without a doubt DVC is the very best decision that we ever made. I can remember as a young adult walking by BC/YC saying wow, I'll never be able to stay at a place like that. 10 years later, we've stayed there more times than I can count. If you are unsure, try renting some points from David's and try it out for yourself, then you'll know if it's for you or not.

They are decently furnished and decorated, but they are definitely not what you would expect from a 5-star hotelier. They are Deluxe because they get you to the Parks in ~5-15 minutes

If you have ever stayed at a non-Disney deluxe hotel or even business class, the rooms and room amenities are far superior to those offered at any Disney resort.

With Disney, you get a room. They're fine. DVC units often have sofa beds and slightly banged up furniture, versus the resort-side units where you get actual beds and slightly banged up furniture.

Disney definitions of things are different than the real world. Disney are not providing luxury experiences at any of their accommodations. DVC is a timeshare, which is an additional factor in that. A DVC unit is a bit closer to a Marriott extended stay unit than a Motel 6, but it's no Four Seasons.

Unless it has changed weren't DVC rooms getting soft goods every 7, hard goods every 14 (which was originally 24) years?

The only DVC we have stayed in so far was AKL, Kidani Village in a Savannah View studio. IMO, it was not as nice as the Deluxe rooms. I do agree with what is said above about the RESORT being Deluxe, you do share all the amenities (pool, dining, location etc.) with the entire Resort. I also agree that Disney's definition of Deluxe is a little different than outside of the Disney bubble. We love our Marriott timeshare and regular Marriott hotel stays and have found the DVC fold out couch is no comparison to the Marriott. DH and I can sleep on the Marriott no problem, but even my easy-going DS4 wasn't comfortable on the Kidani pull out. We do all like the new Murphy beds though!

It sounds like you really enjoy AKL! Owning at AKV could really save you versus you cash stays, if you like the DVC rooms as much as the regular. We are still interested in purchasing DVC as well, knowing we will enjoy Murphy beds or OKW and Poly with two regular beds most. Try DVC first and see what you think! Best of luck to you!

Not Deluxe - although Disney Deluxe rooms aren't deluxe either. Deluxe would mean not having broken drawer pulls, torn curtains, and half the lightbulbs out. It wouldn't involve pull out couches. But its been a while since I've stayed at a cash Disney resort, they may have fallen to the "not replace the lightbulbs" and "torn curtains" standard. But I'm not complaining - I'm a BWV owner who gets to walk to Epcot for what is a very reasonable amount in dues plus I book a one or two bedroom - and the kitchen and washer dryer are far more important than if all the drawers sit on their rails.

My experiences with DVC property rooms.

BCVs- yes just as nice
AKVs- yes just as nice- (but I did get into a CL studio)
HH- different feel, kinda like moderate level somewhat, but bigger
SSR- different feel, kinda like moderate level somewhat, but bigger

My experiences with DVC property rooms.

BCVs- yes just as nice
AKVs- yes just as nice- (but I did get into a CL studio)
HH- different feel, kinda like moderate level somewhat, but bigger
SSR- different feel, kinda like moderate level somewhat, but bigger
This is really interesting to hear how it varies by resort!

The DVC rooms are usually decent, some better than others. As to "Deluxe," just be aware that until about 12 years ago, the rooms were not called "Deluxe." Then, literally overnight, the Villas were generally renamed the "Deluxe Villas," and the studios were renamed "Deluxe Studios" rather than just "Studios," in DVC's ad materials and room designations, despite that absolutely nothing changed inside any of the rooms.

DVC rooms are not deluxe imho - they don’t have the trappings of a deluxe room based on my experience (although from the photos Copper Creek esp the cabins have high end touches.) In some ways, DVC are less deluxe than a standard room since the studios and 1 BR don’t even have two regular beds - and sleeping on a pullout is not what most consider deluxe, although many clearly don’t mind. (I Don’t consider having a kitchen a deluxe amenity because I don’t want to cook on vacation. ) What DVC does enable you to do is share the amenities of a deluxe resort and possibly do so more affordably than otherwise, although whether DVC is a smart move financially in the long run depends on when you bought in, what dues will be like in the future and a host of other factors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter