DVC rooms feel deluxe?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been waiting to purchase DVC just waiting for the right contract but reading posts on the boards is making me second guess this. I was really interested in DVC for being able to stay at the deluxe resorts that I could never afford to pay out of pocket for each trip. However, I feel like I keep seeing posts of owners complaining that the DVC rooms don’t actually feel deluxe (I know they aren’t all technically categorized as “deluxe”) but is this true? Are the DVC rooms at these resorts less deluxe feeling than the regular rooms at the DVC resorts? If this is the case I’d rather just save the money and keep booking at AKL out of pocket and mixing moderate stays in in between.

Thanks!

I would suggest that the next time you go to Disney that you go to the resorts you are interested in and ask at the reception if you could see some of the DVC rooms. IMO Studio's are like a typical hotel room. 1 Bedrooms and above is where you notice the difference. Typically the space you have is similar to 2 hotel rooms and with a two bedroom is similar to 3 hotel rooms. If you have a family you really appreciate the extra space. The bigger rooms are more like apartments. There is also a big difference in the quality of rooms at resorts. IMO I wouldn't classify some of the older resorts as Deluxe... but I would put VGF, VGC and BLT in this category.

You can definitely see lots of room photos online to compare room designs, which do differ between DVC and hotel wings of the same resort. There are some resorts where I think the DVC rooms look nicer (e.g., I like the Copper Creek design better than the Wilderness Lodge design), and other resorts where I think the opposite (e.g., Boardwalk Inn vs Villas)--but that is so subjective. Also, a lot of how nice the room is depends on how recently it was refurbished, so sometimes will depend on timing.

For resorts that have both DVC and non-DVC rooms, sometimes the location is essentially the same (e.g., In Jambo House, there are regular and DVC rooms in the same building), and sometimes DVC has a totally separate building (e.g. Bay Lake Tower, Kidani). That can make a difference as well because the separate building will have its own lobby, pools, dining etc. -- which can create a different "feel" for the resort overall.

The biggest differences from my perspective that may make DVC seem less "deluxe" are (1) studio rooms tend to have one bed and one pull-out couch instead of two beds; and (2) you don't get housekeeping daily. Others don't care about housekeeping, but I feel that is a pretty big drawback of DVC--I don't like to have to worry about making beds, replacing towels, or taking out trash on vacation.
Actually after the Last Vegas mass shooting, Disney now requires that mousekeeping checks your room every day. They have always refilled our coffee packs and emptied our trash. The only thing left out is making your bed, we straighten out beds every morning out of habit so no biggie there!

What looks elegant and stately today may look like a Hampton Inn tomorrow. Owners have no say in renovations and renovations usually remove the theming from the vllla. What you see in CCV today will not be what it looks like in ten years. Plus total renovations don't happen as often as hotels; same with soft renovations since owners pay for the renovations. Once the villa is sold to owners and there isn't any more builder inventory, every operating cost come out of the owners' pockets. Only OKW will have two real queen beds in the studio and the second bedroom for two bedroom villas. Other resorts will not have two real beds in the studio and only dedicated two bedroom villas have two real beds in the second bedroom. No matter what anyone says, a sleeper sofa is not nearly as comfortable as a real bed.

What looks elegant and stately today may look like a Hampton Inn tomorrow. Owners have no say in renovations and renovations usually remove the theming from the vllla. What you see in CCV today will not be what it looks like in ten years. Plus total renovations don't happen as often as hotels; same with soft renovations since owners pay for the renovations. Once the villa is sold to owners and there isn't any more builder inventory, every operating cost come out of the owners' pockets. Only OKW will have two real queen beds in the studio and the second bedroom for two bedroom villas. Other resorts will not have two real beds in the studio and only dedicated two bedroom villas have two real beds in the second bedroom. No matter what anyone says, a sleeper sofa is not nearly as comfortable as a real bed.
At least they seem to be switching the pull out with murphy beds now....and those are real beds. Very excited to try it out at SSR!

This is what concerns me about DVC - we would gladly give up a full kitchen and even a living room to have 4 comfortable beds to sleep on - but even in a dedicated 2BR you don’t get that.

This is what concerns me about DVC - we would gladly give up a full kitchen and even a living room to have 4 comfortable beds to sleep on - but even in a dedicated 2BR you don’t get that.
That’s a great point. I agree with you that I’m more interested in a comfortable sleeping space rather than a kitchen. For me, half the fun of Disney is eating in the restaurants.

I have always thought the DVC rooms, and resorts were built a bit “on the cheap” as compared to the cash hotels. I remember the first time I opened the slider at VWL... “What is this flimsy thing?” is what went through my head.
As far as maintenance & housekeeping, I have also found the hotels to be superior.

I would edit my previous post, but that may be unfair seeing as though I have a “like” attributed to the post. I will add here instead...

The Villas at Grand Floridian, in my opinion, doesn’t even look like the resort. It looks like an appendage box that doesn’t resemble the shape of the resort.

The 2BR are fantastic for a family of four, 2 adults and 2 older children. Plenty of room, good beds and if you stay in BLT, 3 showers! Depending on the relationship 6 Adults could manage easily. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in a room with 9 people, but you could in the 2BR. When our kids were younger we stayed in 1BR. The Sofa and Murphy beds are comfortable, only draw back is they are a bit small for adults.

The 2BR are fantastic for a family of four, 2 adults and 2 older children. Plenty of room, good beds and if you stay in BLT, 3 showers! Depending on the relationship 6 Adults could manage easily. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in a room with 9 people, but you could in the 2BR. When our kids were younger we stayed in 1BR. The Sofa and Murphy beds are comfortable, only draw back is they are a bit small for adults.
Indeed the rooms may work very well for your needs, but the question is are they as “deluxe” as the hotel side.

Indeed the rooms may work very well for your needs, but the question is are they as “deluxe” as the hotel side.
I think the standard is variable across DVC. I wouldn’t describe any of the older resorts as Deluxe. From BLT onwards the specification has gone up. VGF and VGC would fit into that category.

More homey than deluxe. I particularly find the 1 and 2 bedrooms to be homey and comfortable. But I generally don’t find non- DVC Disney hotel rooms to be deluxe either. The one exception for me personally was out 2 stays in the deluxe club level suite at CSR. It was newish, good view, and I like the location and the new tower building overall. It’s been awhile (10 years or so) since we stayed there but I also considered the Waldorf Orlando suites to be deluxe.

I don’t just look at the room. Decoration isn’t a big deal to me, room size is a bigger factor. My big points are location - easy access to parks, views, transportation, restaurants. My home resorts are Boardwalk and VGC. They check those boxes for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter