DVC strategy for 2021 - can someone sense check please?

Tony

Mouseketeer
OK I posted a few weeks back and was going to follow that up, but the thread seems to have vanished!

I have banked 160 points from this year to use next. We have a March UY but owing to school stuff can only really travel in August.

Questions obviously looming over what happens next, but my thinking is that I should - when the booking window opens - use my banked points to make a short reservation for August 2021. I won't touch the 2021 points as they can be banked into 2022 but only if not used then cancelled.

That means I can then make a judgement call, say around April/May 2021 as to whether there's any point in persevering and hunting out flights, or if I look to cancel the reservation and either sell the points via a broker (if there's any demand at all) or swap into RCI.

Does that seem to make sense? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

Makes sense to me. It’s a good way to possibly keep your trip while also safeguarding against the unknown. Here’s hoping it’s all sunshine and roses next summer and you get to go.

Makes sense to me too. It's exactly the same as my plan. I have 250 points to spend by next October (teacher too so can only go in July/August) so will book my 2 resorts at the 11 month mark then wait and see. If I'm not happy about going/not allowed to go by March/April, I'll rent them out via an established site.

Makes sense to me too. It's exactly the same as my plan. I have 250 points to spend by next October (teacher too so can only go in July/August) so will book my 2 resorts at the 11 month mark then wait and see. If I'm not happy about going/not allowed to go by March/April, I'll rent them out via an established site.

we're planning to go in july/august 2021, so i have to book in a few weeks.
we're going for 3 weeks and intend to use 2020 (which i've already banked), 2021, and the 50% of 2022 points we're allowed to borrow.
here's hoping everything's normal by then.

Remember you can use the 2021 points to make a reservation and if you cancel 31 days or more before arrival those 2021 can still be banked. Its only points that are used and canceled less than 30 days from arrival that can not be banked.

Remember you can use the 2021 points to make a reservation and if you cancel 31 days or more before arrival those 2021 can still be banked. Its only points that are used and canceled less than 30 days from arrival that can not be banked.

That's great - thanks for the tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter