DVC

Thank you everyone. I’ll research some more and look for where I can rent. I figured DVC would be a hard sell once they get you there

It's not that it's a hard sell, in the sense that some other timeshare developers do a hard sell. They won't make you feel like you can't leave, and they won't follow you out into the parking lot.

To me, the problem with the presentation is the .....trying to find a polite way to put it...misrepresentations that you'll sometimes hear from guides. They'll probably tell you that availability isn't a problem, you can book anywhere anytime you want. If you mention that you're considering resale, you'll probably hear about all the horrifying evils that will befall you if you don't purchase direct from Disney. They'll try to talk you into the resort that management is currently telling them to push, which may not be the right resort for you at all. They'll tell you about the "special deal" you're getting, which is usually the same deal everyone else gets.

Just remember that the guides are salespeople, and they have a serious financial interest in getting you to purchase the resort they want to sell you, right then and there. Don't feel rushed. By all means, do the presentation, but take your time with your research and your decision afterwards.

I don’t think I’ll do a tour.

To get anywhere close to the $$$'s you are budgeting the purchase would have to be resale. SSR will be the closest fit for an onsite WDW resort especially since you wouldn't normally plan until after the home resort priority window closes at 7 months and you can then book at any location that still has availability. But the SSR standard views plus the lower cost of resale contracts there does actually come fairly close to your budget.

I'd agree to take some more time and read and investigate and make certain it will be a good fit and that you have a good understanding of the system, how to use it and what you can get.

Thank you for all the information. I do stay on site. I did contact DVC and they’re sending me a DVD. Looks like they will do a tour? I don’t think there’s a way to stay if you’re not a member? I would like SSR or AK. Up front I would like to spend $20K tops, then no more then $1,000-$1,500 a year tops. Don’t know if this will be possible.
As noted, there are plenty of ways to stay. If you don't have on site experience and/or timeshare experience, you really should have both prior to proceeding. Renting privately or through a broker is much cheaper and doing so for 1 or 2 stays won't delay savings much and could save you a a ton of money and aggravation.

You need to understand how DVC works before you buy. You do not need to do a tour. If you want to buy direct from Disney, you can do it over the phone.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the advice and information I’m going to do some more research. I’m planning on a solo trip in October, so I’ll check things out then.

I caution you about the tour, Disney is very very good at selling their timeshares. Before you know it you will be buying a resort that you may not care for, a UY that doesn't do you any good, more points than you need, at a price that is really high. You will be thanking them for taking advantage of you and feeling bad that you neglected your family and didn't buy years ago.

:earsboy: Bill

I still find it funny when I toured in November (and they knew we were staying at BRV on rented points for the second time) that they pushed Poly over CCV. They didn't care that we loved WL, they obviously wanted to get Poly sold out.

It didn't matter anyway, we were already in the resale process and went on the tour purely to take a look at the CCV units and get the gift card. It was super convenient since we were already staying at WL and we did it before the rest of our room woke up :-)

I still find it funny when I toured in November (and they knew we were staying at BRV on rented points for the second time) that they pushed Poly over CCV. They didn't care that we loved WL, they obviously wanted to get Poly sold out.

It didn't matter anyway, we were already in the resale process and went on the tour purely to take a look at the CCV units and get the gift card. It was super convenient since we were already staying at WL and we did it before the rest of our room woke up :-)

You get a gift card to take a tour? You mentioned ‘rented points’? I looked for ‘rentals’, I don’t know if it’s me, but renting a DVC from someone appears more expensive then a resort?

You get a gift card to take a tour? You mentioned ‘rented points’? I looked for ‘rentals’, I don’t know if it’s me, but renting a DVC from someone appears more expensive then a resort?

It depends on what you're comparing the cost of a rental to. Compared to a value room? A DVC rental will definitely be more expensive. Compared to a deluxe? For a studio, it should be less expensive to go with a DVC rental, though it isn't always.

Renting DVC points, or essentially a reservation, is generally more expensive than using points you own, but less expensive than making a regular hotel reservation through Disney (unless you’re booking a value room).

There are a pros and cons to both. Renting you generally can’t cancel or modify and have to pay up front. Owning you have thousands of dollars invested and are responsible for using the points efficiently each year.

For the gift card, the promotions vary but sometimes they’ll give you a gift card and fastpasses for people doing the tour who are not already members. It might depend on how you sign up for the tour. I did it in Magic Kingdom and scheduled it for the next morning. I didn’t ask about the gift card but they offered it when I inquired about the tour at one of the DVC kiosks.

It was convenient for me because I was already staying at WL, and wanted to see the CCV rooms, but I probably wouldn’t have done it if it were somewhere else.

I did the tour when I visited Disneyland in January. I thought it was valuable to see the model rooms (Aulani studio and 1 bedroom) and of course, just taking a break after a few hours in the park (being offered a $50 gift card and four anytime fast passes didn't hurt either). I will say that I am very fortunate I had spent some time on here and other DVC forums before I went. To be fair my guide was not dishonest, however, he was prepared to downplay my concerns with very carefully worded responses. If I hadn't done the reading on here beforehand the subtlety of his responses would have totally slipped right past me. My guide was pushing very hard to buy at Aulani. I kept raising my concern that I was buying to stay at Disneyland, and how I had read the 11 month home resort booking window was very important to stay VGC. While he did concede that VGC was very busy during peak times, he said since I was obviously an off peak traveler (this being January) booking at 7 months wouldn't be an issue for me. On this point (and others) he said that I had been misinformed about what I had read on the forums and that his job was to get me the "right" information.

Overall I will say the presentation was value added, and believe it or not I actually like the guide. However, I would heed everyone's advice to read as much as you can on here and other sites before you go. With thousands of dollars at stake (and hundreds/thousands of dollars in yearly MFs) this is not something you want to go into unprepared.

Renting DVC points, or essentially a reservation, is generally more expensive than using points you own, but less expensive than making a regular hotel reservation through Disney (unless you’re booking a value room).

There are a pros and cons to both. Renting you generally can’t cancel or modify and have to pay up front. Owning you have thousands of dollars invested and are responsible for using the points efficiently each year.

For the gift card, the promotions vary but sometimes they’ll give you a gift card and fastpasses for people doing the tour who are not already members. It might depend on how you sign up for the tour. I did it in Magic Kingdom and scheduled it for the next morning. I didn’t ask about the gift card but they offered it when I inquired about the tour at one of the DVC kiosks.

It was convenient for me because I was already staying at WL, and wanted to see the CCV rooms, but I probably wouldn’t have done it if it were somewhere else.
And I'd think of it as an investment in education to make a better choice going in.

My next trip is in October so I’ll read up as much as I can before then. This might not be for me, being that I’m going to be retiring and if the break even is almost 10 years. This might be better for the younger generations but I’ll research as much as I can anyways. I know how much it costs me to go 3x a year and staying at a moderate or value resort, I guess I’ll start there with the numbers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts