DVC'ers who have children & how they use their points?

We only travel on school breaks since DW and I are both teachers and DS and DD are still in school anyway. We always do a 1 BR when with them since we need the space. Once they are in college and no longer travel with us, we plan on doing studios and using points for cruises.

My usual babeling bullets:

:dance3: We got lucky. In our Georgia school district we have gone to "year round school". They start 1-Aug, but, get a break in mid-sep and Presidents week! The mid sep is a fantastic time!

:mad: Out perfect dates end this year! Our oldest starts college next year! We are now worried - will he want to go? College kids seem to have better things to do with their time!

pirate: On the young college kid - my feeling is - if he does not want to go - then so be it! More points for me!

:love: When we bought I realized in my mind the beauty in how our DVC ownership/usage will evolve over time:

1) It has been great for the kids while they were young.

2) When they get in college - I see us giving them our points to have a week to spend with their college friends (I will publish the dates well in advance so you all stay away!).

3) Eventually my Grandchildren will think of me as the greatest Grandfather walking the planet! 5 Years ago I invested in their future vacation pad!

:santa: Lastly, I would love to purchase a contract for my kids to own. I am thinking hard of starting them out with a 25 to 100 point contract when they graduate from college. That is my thought at least!

:eek: When I kick, my kids will still love me! They will spread my ashes on DVC property!

So, I personally think DVC will grow with your family through the years! :thumbsup2

bom_noite, you make excellent points. The flexibility of DVC really "sold" us. Although our youngest is 19mo, we dream of one day taking a parents-only vacation. Looking down the road, we'd love to spoil a grandchild or six. And if CRV becomes a reality, we're already considering getting 2 smaller vs. one bigger contract, in order to spread the magic among our children. It truly is a plan that can change to meet the needs of a growing family. We've also considered that we could, say, give the use of points as a wedding or graduation gift to one of our nieces. Oh, wait--I think I'm going to need more points! Let me get the checkbook out...

We're seriously looking into DVC but I'm struggling with how we're going to do this because we tend to go to WDW during the times our kids have off from school. It appears that we will need more points for those time periods as opposed to going in the "off seasons"

I don't know what to do. We would most likely stay in a studio and the most would be a 1 bedroom.

So is worth it ....could we make it work with our point usuage. We'll be buying either 160 pts or maybe 200 if we can. Or is DVC just not for us right now? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! You all have been so helpful on here!!

When we decided to purchase our membership, we calculated the points we needed on the weeks we were most likely to travel and that is during school vacation. Pick a week that you think would be around the general time you are apt to visit, calculate the number of points you will need in order to vacation like you normally would and see how much it would cost. If you visit at least every other year, it will probably be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter