DxDDP: Exactly how do you share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They actually can see the make up of the party. Twice last week the server handed me their scanning device and I was able to see how many kids and adults were listed on my reservation. The only restaurant that questioned me about paying for more adults than I had listed was Hollywood and Vine. It was eventually allowed after checking with a manager but I just listened to a podcast where this is a regular thing there and some guests have NOT been allowed to.

What podcast ?

They actually can see the make up of the party. Twice last week the server handed me their scanning device and I was able to see how many kids and adults were listed on my reservation. The only restaurant that questioned me about paying for more adults than I had listed was Hollywood and Vine. It was eventually allowed after checking with a manager but I just listened to a podcast where this is a regular thing there and some guests have NOT been allowed to.

Ahhhh....so maybe they are beginning to make the change. So what was not allowed? Using child credits for adult meals or buying a meal for someone not on your plan?

Ahhhh....so maybe they are beginning to make the change. So what was not allowed? Using child credits for adult meals or buying a meal for someone not on your plan?
Im not sure. I had 2 kids and 1 adult in that room and I had 2 adults in my dining party that day. It was the first day using our ddp so technically I had plenty of "adult" credits to purchase a meal for another adult even though the credits are pooled. The second adult was in a room with a ddp as well, she just doesnt use magic bands so we were sharing credits. Only H&V questioned us however.

I don't believe I'm allowed to say here
If it's not your podcast, and you don't been fit from it in any way except the information/entertaiment aspect, and you have no business relationship with it, and (especially) you are not advertising or promoting it...you might be able to name it :)

You can use your dining plan credits to purchase a meal or snack for anyone you wish. They don't have to be on your reservation; they don't even have to be staying on property. They are your credits and you can use them to bless anyone with a meal.

The kid thing is the one problem. QS and DxDDP credits are not distinguished by adult and kid (at least at this moment, they are not). So you can use a kid's credit to purchase an adult meal at QS and with any DELUXE credit. The regular DDP does distinguish the TS credits, so you CANNOT use a kid's credit to purchase an adult meal at a TS restaurant with the regular DDP.

However, the pdf for all dining plans still states that kid credits must be used on a kid's meal. They are not enforcing this with QS and DxDDP, but they could at any time decide to enforce it either at the point of sale or by fixing the system to distinguish between the two.

You SHOULD be okay. Reports are that with the DxDDP, the servers have no idea what the break up of the party is that purchased the plan. We don't use it, so I have no personal experience, but what you want to do has been done by many, many people reporting back here.

This still worked for us just recently (the week after Thanksgiving). Credits were all pooled on the DxDP, no difference between adult/child credits. Servers never questioned when we had more adults than listed on reservation, for the few times friends joined us. We had all intentions to spend the credits appropriately over the week like you are (correct number of adult and child meals purchased in the end), but in reality, all the meals ended up being "adult" meals, because the servers encouraged us to order adult meals for the kids each time (best guess is it ends up giving them a much larger tip - and that it did! Those tips really add up, especially at signature restaurants if you're getting apps, entrees, drinks, and dessert each. Expect to pay an extra hundred+ dollars in tips alone). However, even if you order an adult meal for the kids, you're still limited to a non-alcoholic drink for that meal purchase, obviously. Only alcoholic drinks with meals for actual adults. We had no problem getting extra plates for each person and sharing all meals family style.

Just back from a week with DxDP, 2 adults and 3 children on reservation. We were traveling with 7 other adults and went in with the intention of using our 15 daily pooled credits to pay for one table service a day for all 12 of us. First off, like eeyoresmom said on their scanning devices, they and you can see the makeup of your party, and your specific dining plan when you go to put in your pin. We had absolutely no questions asked and actually seemed to please the waiters when we told them it would be all one check at: T-Rex, Crystal Palace, The Wave, Teppan Edo, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tusker House, and 1900 Park Fare. Our first hiccup was 50's Prime Time, our waiter told us that sharing credits was technically not allowed and it was going to be enforced after the first of the year, but he checked with his manager and we were able to do it. Next hiccup was Hollywood and Vine, where the manager eventually allowed it and same for the Edison.

Just back from a week with DxDP, 2 adults and 3 children on reservation. We were traveling with 7 other adults and went in with the intention of using our 15 daily pooled credits to pay for one table service a day for all 12 of us. First off, like eeyoresmom said on their scanning devices, they and you can see the makeup of your party, and your specific dining plan when you go to put in your pin. We had absolutely no questions asked and actually seemed to please the waiters when we told them it would be all one check at: T-Rex, Crystal Palace, The Wave, Teppan Edo, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tusker House, and 1900 Park Fare. Our first hiccup was 50's Prime Time, our waiter told us that sharing credits was technically not allowed and it was going to be enforced after the first of the year, but he checked with his manager and we were able to do it. Next hiccup was Hollywood and Vine, where the manager eventually allowed it and same for the Edison.

So was it indicated if sharing in general was the issue or using “child” credits for adult meals, or both?

As for enforcing the no sharing...was that restaurant location specific, or was the server implying a system wide enforcement was coming ?

Also interesting that H & V keeps getting mentioned in all this. There is a podcast that singled out H & V as problematic for sharing.

our waiter told us that sharing credits was technically not allowed

Interesting. The wording that prohibited using your credits for those not on your plan was completely erased from the PDFs about 3 years ago. So, technically, there is nothing anywhere that says you can't do so. They can't enforce a "rule" that isn't there anymore.

So was it indicated if sharing in general was the issue or using “child” credits for adult meals, or both?

As for enforcing the no sharing...was that restaurant location specific, or was the server implying a system wide enforcement was coming ?

Also interesting that H & V keeps getting mentioned in all this. There is a podcast that singled out H & V as problematic for sharing.

They specifically said that credits could only be used for those parties on the room reservation and indicated it would be everybody system wide. After going to “check” with his manager, he said they had checked with our resort and got approval and mentioned they were surprised that we had no trouble at T-Rex, Crystal Palace, or the Wave. (They found this out I guess from the resort as we did not tell them)

Interesting. The wording that prohibited using your credits for those not on your plan was completely erased from the PDFs about 3 years ago. So, technically, there is nothing anywhere that says you can't do so. They can't enforce a "rule" that isn't there anymore.

The manager at H & V said that on all DP brochures, websites, etc, it specifies that credits are non transferable.......that’s probably going to be the technicality they use.

The manager at H & V said that on all DP brochures, websites, etc, it specifies that credits are non transferable.......that’s probably going to be the technicality they use.

I think I could argue that technicality. I'm not transferring my credit to someone else for them to use at a separate time. I'm using my credit to purchase a meal for a friend. If I'm using my money to buy a meal OOP for a friend, I'm not transferring my money to them. I'm purchasing a meal. The credits are the same.

There used to be specific language on the brochures that said you could not purchase meals for anyone not on your plan. They will have to put that language back if they want to enforce this.

OP - I have shared DDP in precisely the way you described in your OP and it worked well for us. We generally do it that way instead of family style because different folks in our family like different things. We also switch up who shares with who/who eats apps based on what each person likes on different menus. We have also shared more family style but tend to prefer the way you outlined.

I didn't find it particularly complicated. At each restaurant I would just ask each person what they fancied and then mixed and matched until we got the correct correct number of apps, entrees and desserts.

At Turf Club, my kids shared an app. I had 2 apps for dinner while my DH, DD, and DS had an entree each.

I think I could argue that technicality. I'm not transferring my credit to someone else for them to use at a separate time. I'm using my credit to purchase a meal for a friend. If I'm using my money to buy a meal OOP for a friend, I'm not transferring my money to them. I'm purchasing a meal. The credits are the same.

There used to be specific language on the brochures that said you could not purchase meals for anyone not on your plan. They will have to put that language back if they want to enforce this.
I assume there is literature specific to the 2019 plan...Wonder if it mentions sharing ?

I assume there is literature specific to the 2019 plan...Wonder if it mentions sharing ?

I bet not. THe plans were too restrictive so people stopped adding them to packages. Once that happened I bet that Disney lost more than meals revenue.

This week, although not delux DDP we were told to choose a snack option if we did not want a beverage. WE never thought to ask, but many places offered the information. At Flame Tree, we already had our hot drinks, it was pouring! Anyway, I did not want a drink and asked for the cupcake if possible, and was told "We are not really supposed to, but its raining! So go for it!" Personally, I think that Disney is relaxing a lot of the restrictions to keep folks buying that plan.

Here's a link to the 2019 DxDDP: https://www.wdwinfo.com/2019DisneyDeluxeDiningPlan.pdf

The very fine print at the bottom of page 1 does have the "not transferable" that the PP was told at H&V, but that's always been there, and in my opinion transferring is not the same as buying a friend a meal.

Here's a link to the 2019 DxDDP: https://www.wdwinfo.com/2019DisneyDeluxeDiningPlan.pdf

The very fine print at the bottom of page 1 does have the "not transferable" that the PP was told at H&V, but that's always been there, and in my opinion transferring is not the same as buying a friend a meal.
It seems to be included in the topic of dealing with unused credits at the end of your stay. So I agree that it isn’t really referring to sharing ?? Hmm??

It seems to be included in the topic of dealing with unused credits at the end of your stay. So I agree that it isn’t really referring to sharing ?? Hmm??

Since I'm awake and the rest of the house isn't, I have time to look around on this. The 2015 pdf has the non-sharing language. Here is the 2015 QSDP pdf:

http://www.yourmagicalvacations.com/sites/16596/pdf/2015quickservice.pdf

See the third Mickey bullet? It was very specific. And the non-transferable is still there as well (in the blue space in the middle), so sharing and transferring are not the same.

Since I'm awake and the rest of the house isn't, I have time to look around on this. The 2015 pdf has the non-sharing language. Here is the 2015 QSDP pdf:

http://www.yourmagicalvacations.com/sites/16596/pdf/2015quickservice.pdf

See the third Mickey bullet? It was very specific. And the non-transferable is still there as well (in the blue space in the middle), so sharing and transferring are not the same.
You’re one step ahead of me . I was thinking of researching the same. It’s going to be interesting to see what actually starts happening in the new year. I hope there is some early feedback as we have a trip planned early Jan when/where we had hoped to share a few credits.

Just as another data point. We did this in May party of 7, three with DxDDP. We used 5 credits at several restaurants and still brought leftovers back to the room most of those meals.

They specifically said that credits could only be used for those parties on the room reservation and indicated it would be everybody system wide. After going to “check” with his manager, he said they had checked with our resort and got approval and mentioned they were surprised that we had no trouble at T-Rex, Crystal Palace, or the Wave. (They found this out I guess from the resort as we did not tell them)

Do you have anybody idea why they had to check with the resort on this?? We are going in Jan on DxDDP and we’re planning to share some of those credits with my parent who will only be with us part of the time. Our agent linked us as “traveling with” on our reservations.... wondering if that had something to do with needing the resort.....

I’m really worried about all I had planned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter