DxDP Cheaper for split room situation?

newdisneygirl08

Earning My Ears
If my math is correct and reading about how the credits are pooled for adults and children....I can't think why I wouldn't do DxDP instead of DDP. Please let me know if I am missing something or if the 1 additional credit per day will make a large difference.

2 rooms, 1 room with 2 adults and 1 child, another room with 2 adults, 7 nights.

Get the DxDP for the 2 adults and 1 child so we have 9 meal credits per day. (cost for DxDP approximately $1918)
If we did DDP for both rooms, would have 5 TS and 5 QS credits per day. (cost of DDP approximately $2295)

I hope to do CRT and additional character meals, not sure if any other signature meals (likely not). I would likely share (if allowed) at many TS meals with my daughter (the 1 child). We may still use some of the credits for QS meals if needed. But with the DxDP being cheaper...not sure that would really hurt us. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for all information - or let me know if my math/logic is off somewhere...I have been reading all the dining plan info on here for too long and may have confused some items!

You aren't missing anything. This seems to be a popular way to use the plan, ever since Disney started allowing credits to be used to purchase meals for people not in the room/on the plan themselves.

And you can absolutely share meals with your daughter at any menu-service restaurant, with the sole exception of Via Napoli in Epcot. That's the only restaurant that consistently disallows sharing for dining plan guests. And of course you can't share at per-person priced meals like CRT or buffets. Everywhere else, you will be fine sharing.

Thanks in advance for all information - or let me know if my math/logic is off somewhere...I have been reading all the dining plan info on here for too long and may have confused some items!

Your math is correct. I agree that it seems like a no-brainer to go with the cheaper option if you're going with a dining plan. It's a lot of food. I would determine where I want to eat and what I want to eat at each of those places and still do the math just to be sure. My gut says the DxDDP will be the cheaper option for you, but I don't know how you like to eat on vacation.

Your math is correct. I agree that it seems like a no-brainer to go with the cheaper option if you're going with a dining plan. It's a lot of food. I would determine where I want to eat and what I want to eat at each of those places and still do the math just to be sure. My gut says the DxDDP will be the cheaper option for you, but I don't know how you like to eat on vacation.

True....I need to price out the meals/plans more to finalize if any dining plan is worth the money, thanks!

I don't necessarily need much, but the 2 adults in the other room will be our 2 sons - 18 and 22. I think they will help get our money's worth....and I won't be giving them an eye if they order steak or shrimp at every meal! However, this also means we need to dine together if we split up for rides, etc. as they wouldn't have the dining plan credits on their MBs. Which...I think is a good excuse to get back together as a family anyway!

One things I did not see you mention is that when you are at an non buffet/fixed price like CRT you get apps for each credit. So when sharing a credit with your daughter it will be an app, meal, and dessert, and one drink so maybe only oop for her drink if she wants something other than water.

Yes u are correct. We did this in November. Me and daughter (4yo) stayed in one room and got Dxddp. My mom and dad stayed in another room without Plan.
We used our 6 TS Credits/day to pay for all the adult meals and then paid out of pocket for daughters much cheaper kids meals.

The waiters were fine splitting our check between credits and cash however we wanted. You can really maximize the DXDDP this way by strategically using the credits for the most expensive adult meals and paying cash for the cheap stuff.

For my family using a DxDDp on one room and no plan on the other will be the better option for my group if we can continue to share credits. However I am planning to pay very close attention to reports as we get closer to our travel dates.

We will be 2 adults and 2 teens in a studio and 4 adults and 4 children (under 10) in a 2 bed. Thinking of getting DXDDP for the 2 bed only and pooling the credits with all 12 of us. From what I have read that appears to be allowed? Also are the adult and child credits shown separately or just pooled into one? We will all want to eat together.

You aren't missing anything. This seems to be a popular way to use the plan, ever since Disney started allowing credits to be used to purchase meals for people not in the room/on the plan themselves.

And you can absolutely share meals with your daughter at any menu-service restaurant, with the sole exception of Via Napoli in Epcot. That's the only restaurant that consistently disallows sharing for dining plan guests. And of course you can't share at per-person priced meals like CRT or buffets. Everywhere else, you will be fine sharing.
Not sure where people think they cannot share @ Via Napoli
I ordered and paid for an additional diet soda and ate some of my husband's pizza, I would love to see anyone in Via Napoli tell me I must order a meal and I am not permitted to eat some of my husband's paid by me meal...
Girl pleeze! You can share, I've done it every year for 4 years

Am I correct with this...?

If I buy Deluxe Dining Plan for one room holding 1 adult and 3 kids I can use them to buy table service meals for 4 adults?

TIA

Not sure where people think they cannot share @ Via Napoli
I ordered and paid for an additional diet soda and ate some of my husband's pizza, I would love to see anyone in Via Napoli tell me I must order a meal and I am not permitted to eat some of my husband's paid by me meal...
Girl pleeze! You can share, I've done it every year for 4 years

When using DDP credits at Via Napoli you aren't permitted to share an entree, it's one meal per person, when paying cash sharing is permitted.

Am I correct with this...?

If I buy Deluxe Dining Plan for one room holding 1 adult and 3 kids I can use them to buy table service meals for 4 adults?

TIA

As of today, yes, that is correct. However, please know that the pdfs still state, "kid's must order from a kid's menu, where available," and Disney could decide to enforce this at any time. We all thought they would do it with the alcohol addition, but they didn't. With the summer "kids eat free" promotion, they may decide to fix their system and enforce it, but who knows.

As of today, yes, that is correct. However, please know that the pdfs still state, "kid's must order from a kid's menu, where available," and Disney could decide to enforce this at any time. We all thought they would do it with the alcohol addition, but they didn't. With the summer "kids eat free" promotion, they may decide to fix their system and enforce it, but who knows.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter