• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early Check In?

Reminisce71

Earning My Ears
We are heading for DW on Feb. 7 in the evening. We are driving all night and will probably be there around 10 am Saturday. Where to go till check in?? Can we check in early?

We are staying at ASMu.

Also we plan to go to see the beach and have had Treasure Island recommended to us. Any other place good?

Thanks!

When you get to your hotel, you can check in but your room probably won't be ready. The CM will give you a business card with a phone number you can call from any Disney phone and check on your room's status.

Meanwhile, you can leave your bags with the bell captain (I'm not sure if there is one at your hotel, but there will be somewhere that you can leave them) and explore your hotel. There are always locker rooms near the main pool with showers so you can change into your swimsuits or you can catch a bus to Downtown Disney and walk around there.

Once when we got to our hotel at Old Key West early, the CM gave us a discount pass for the surrey bikes-something we probably wouldn't have done on our own and it was fun! Ask at the desk when you check in if there's anything going on today in your hotel.

Keep trying your room, though. Once at Wilderness Lodge our room was ready at 10:30 a.m. which is really unusual.

Sorry I can't help you out with Treasure Island. Have a great trip!

Susan

:D :D

I've had good success with calling the front desk of the resort about three days before arrival to request early check in. We've been able to get into our room as early as noon, when the person in front of us in line had to wait until 5. They won't guarantee anything, but it's worked for me.

BTW, we've done the same thing a couple of times (driving all night) and won't do it again. You're so wiped out by the time you get there that it's a lot harder to enjoy yourselves. The last couple of times we drove we started EARLY in the morning, drove until about 9 at night, got a motel (in Georgia), and drove the last few hours the next day.

Go ahead and check in and get your room key/ticket/etc and head to the parks. We have checked in as early as 6AM, and the room wasn't ready until 4PM. We did the parks, went swimming, and had something to eat before our room was ready. If all we did was check out the hotel, we would know every in and out before the room was ready.

Thanks!

We are going to try the early check in and at least do some exploring in the meantime!

We have to drive all night due to our youngest son, he is 2 1/2. He hates long drives and cries the whole time. We think he gets carsick. We are taking a vcr this time too. Hopefully that will help him.

We are used to driving this way. lol We go to NY to visit my dh's family and DW is only a couple of hours farther. We take turns driving three hours and it seems to go quickly.

Reminisce,

I can't really help with the check-in thing as we are able to do a one day(long!) drive. I however noticed the child car sick thing. My DS did get car sick even as a toddler. Just a couple things that worked for us were :

Letting him nibble on crackers or other salty snacks at will without overloading him with a full meal. If he will drink it, keep his sipppy cup filled with ginger-ale. Avoid sweets as they often make the sick feeling worse.

Put his car seat in the middle of the back seat and stop at least every two hours if he is awake and let him get out and get some fresh air.

Keep a window cracked just a bit at all times. This seems to help more that anything!

We did not use medication quite this early but you can check with your Dr. about giving him a little dramamine or an antihistimine can also help with the motion sickness.

Also if you think he gets car sick use CAUTION with rides until you see how he will react to them. We learned this the hard way when DS was two. Get the picture. We now at 10 give him non-drowsey dramimine but that' s not an option for a toddler. We just chose rides with great care.

This is lots that you did not ask for but maybe it will help somehow!!

Jordan's mom

On our Sept trip we checked in to AKL around 9 am and got our room.
We were really suprised.

We have checked in early before and have never had the room ready this early. Maybe an hour or so, but not at 9 am.

Definately check in. If your room isn't ready, leave your bags with Bell Services and start the fun!

My sister has a three year old that always gets car sick on trips. My sister is pregnant and was going through the whole morning sickness thing when someone mentioned to her to use Sea Bands. They are wrist bands that you use for motion sickness. I am not sure how they work, but I know they go on the wrists and apply pressure to a vein or something that takes away the motion sickness. It worked for her morning sickness. But the best news is that she let the 3year old use it for their traveling over Christmas and it worked for her too!! No motion sickness and she slept in the car and when she woke up (which is when she would always get sick) she was fine.

I have tried dramamine and benadryl on my children and find that always makes them feel worse. I know I feel worse after taking that stuff even if I do sleep for a while.

Just thought you might want to give it a try before your trip to see if it helps your son. YOu can get them at any drug store. They are usually by the pharmacy counter and they cost about $15. My sister said the only thing that might be difficult for a two year old is getting them not to play with them. She said they don't hurt them but they do have to be in the right position to work.

Hope you have a great trip. Build in some time for you to take a rest after you get to Disney. You will not want to do alot of the parks while being tired after a long drive. We have a 15 hour drive and have done that and regretted not taking some rest time on the day we arrive. Just a suggestion.

HAVE FUN AT DISNEY

Thanks for the car sick suggestions! We will have to try those. Poor guy is miserable and so is everyone else in the car with him. lol

We are planning to just hang out the day that we arrive. Here is a rough idea of our plans.

Friday-Heading to Fl. Drive all night in 3 hour shifts.

Saturday-Arrive early, check in then do some monorail riding and resort hopping. Just take it easy.

Sunday-MK

Monday-MK

Tuesday-Hang out. Play mini-golf, go to the petting zoo, the campfire at FW. ect.

Wednesday-Move Off Site and go to the Kennedy Space Center

Thursday-Hang at the Beach all day and whatver else we feel lke doing.

Friday-Head to Atlanta and go through the Cabbage Patch Hosp.

Saturday-Head to Nashville to meet FIL.

Sunday-Drive home to Indy.

Our goal is just a nice relaxing time. No pressure and taking our time. Most of the activites can change days or whatever due to rain or our whims.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter