Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

Although I hate to move this meme-worthy thread, that really has nothing to do with Theme Park planning because it was cloudy in Orlando, it's going to TP Comm.

Alrighty, then, TP Community...
-------------
Knock-Knock.
Who's there?
Eclipse.
Eclipse who?
Forgot already, eh?
-------------

Biggest surprise for us is that it stormed terribly and was overcast until just about 20 minutes before "totality" time.
Then the skies cleared.
It was 100 clear skies during the "main event" until about 5 minutes AFTER "totality."
Then, the clouds rolled back in, and a storm has been raging continuously here for a couple hours after the eclipse event.
Lots of lightning and down pour.

Last edited:
My front steps were at about "98% total" due to our location, and it was quite dramatic
(as it went very, VERY quickly from "somewhat dark"
to nearly "total moonless midnight dark.")
Of course, it went very quickly the other way after about 2 minutes.

We made no special effort to see it other than just step outside for about 5 minutes.
I had a pin-hole punched in a sheet of cardboard and projected a very small image on a
sheet of paper.

Litte effort, and got a nice result...
but, nothing that I'll "remember forever." ;)

Little effort here. Never did track down glasses. Stepped outside prepared to burn my retinas (kidding) and the neighbors offered to loan us their glasses for a moment. The best part was that short time you could see the corona without glasses. I thought it was pretty cool. Without that though, it would have been pretty lackluster. Just amazed the weather cooperated.

Lol, it is hot as heck, or hot at Orlando, here today so there were lots of those Columbia cooling shirts out here.

Amazing feat of nature we had quite a few big clouds till right at totality. The moment it came the clouds disappeared and we had perfectly clear skies for the rest of the day

Lol, it is hot as heck, or hot at Orlando, here today so there were lots of those Columbia cooling shirts out here.

Amazing feat of nature we had quite a few big clouds till right at totality. The moment it came the clouds disappeared and we had perfectly clear skies for the rest of the day
Unfortunately for us in Charleston the weather was pretty lousy. Lots of thick clouds and rain. We drove North within the totality band but it just never cleared enough. My kids saw the crescent with their eclipse glasses from the car while we drove - when the sun decided to peek out for a few seconds - they liked that. We finally pulled into a parking lot to experience totality. Now that was very cool - even had some thunder lightning and rain thrown into the mix! Wish we could have experienced the entire viewing of the eclipse but you just can't control the weather. 2024 here we come.

IMG_6495.jpg IMG_6494.jpg Well we survived the eclipse! There were lots of people going into the gift shop and asking if they had any solar glasses for sale which I knew they didn't hence why we showed up with our welding glasses ( which passed thru security with no issues) and then there was quite a bit of overcast during the event. My husband and my oldest son watched it intermittently but really the rest of us went on rides instead, we did allow the glasses to be shared with a couple of other families who wanted to view the cloudy eclipse. Epcot had a sign posted about the eclipse which I took a picture of . Overall it was a great day and now we're ending the night swimming in the pool!

:worship::worship::worship:

At "98%" location as well .............. snooze. Can't believe all the craziness around here to get glasses, even today a 4 hour line formed at Library. DS built a large pinhole box (head inside) and he was excited about old fashion way. I was shocked that it never got any darker than the green/yellow glow before a storm ... at 98% :confused3 Nope. Very underwhelming. I can't believe the varied differences within the same projected view.
Agree-folks with 100% seem overwhelmed with what they saw-ANYTHING less than 100% was very anti-climactic.

That just shows how powerful the Sun is-that just a little sliver of it can bring forth so much light to Earth.

Last edited:
Good luck!

We are going to an event at a winery in Ellijay (not quite in the path of totality), leaving the house at 11:30AM (it's a 1 hour 10 min drive with no traffic). I'm hoping 140 and 575 won't be as bad and we can make it...hopefully everyone will be going up 400 since those counties will be in the path of totality!

How did you do? We saw totality so that was awesome. Only took about 2.5 hours to get up there. 7 to get home. Still worth it.

Agree-folks with 100% seem overwhelmed with what they saw-ANYTHING less than 100% was very anti-climatic.

That just shows how powerful the Sun is-that just a little sliver of it can bring forth so much light to Earth.

I know.. that is totally amazing!

How did you do? We saw totality so that was awesome. Only took about 2.5 hours to get up there. 7 to get home. Still worth it.

Eh it was somewhat underwhelming - still cool and interesting, just not exactly what I was expecting, even though we were at 99.89% totality.

I agree with others. Unless you were in 100% totality, it might not have seemed that special. BUT WOW!!! We were as close to the midline of totality as we could get and had 2 minutes and 39 seconds of totality and it was dramatically and remarkably different than just a fraction of a second before totality. It suddenly became purplish dark and there was a 360 degree sunset at the horizon where the non-total areas were around us. The moon was a full velvet black over the sun. The corona was SO AWESOME! Pictures and videos just don't do it justice.

I loved the view from Salem. Temperature was perfect and the skies were clear. The corona and streamers was a special surprise.

Getting there was easy... leaving meant a 3-5 hour congestion back to Portland. A shortage of Greyhound drivers on the West Coast did not help the situation. Many were hostage for 3 to 7 hours waiting for the next bus.

Last edited:
2m34s totality where I was and it was amazing! I had tears in my eyes. I have to get my pics off of my camera tonight, but here's a sneak peek.

Attachments

• IMG_9312.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9314.JPG
    IMG_9314.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9315.JPG
    IMG_9315.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
It was really cool here but we had 100% for over 2 minutes. Considering how it looks at about 80% yeah, I'm shocked Disney acknowledged it. At most it looked like partial cloud cover when there was no cloud.
What I found cool was the sunset and sunrise sky. We have enough clouds on the horizon that it looked incredible for 5 minutes. And the drastic temp change.

I suspect we were somewhere near you, based on what you said about the clouds, and we thought it was amazing too. Seeing the bats come out during totality made my 9yo's whole summer (this is a kid who named the bat that sometimes finds his way into my house) and 2m 30s was long enough for older DD to get some really cool photos. But after seeing the eclipse from start to finish, I'm surprised Disney made any changes based on the degree they experienced down there. We had a similar percentage up here in Michigan and my husband and son both said they didn't even notice anything happening.

ETA: In one of the articles about photographing eclipses, we ran across a writer/photographer who said that rather than being a check mark on a bucket list, experiencing totality makes you want to see it again and again. I think he was right. We'll definitely be making the (thankfully shorter) drive into the 2024 path of totality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter