ECV in-park rentals vs outside company

yesdnil

#momlife
Hello! Looking for recommendations on ECV rentals for my next trip.

Details:
- 9 day, 8 night stay. 5 park days (no park hopping)
- 2 of us will need ECVs on park days, but use other mobility aids on non-park days

I'm leaning toward using Disney's scooter rental service rather than an outside service since we won't need them for the whole stay, and I don't want to deal with maneuvering them around our resort or on transportation.

Questions:
- If we arrive right at rope drop, how long will we need to spend at the ECV rental location?
- How difficult is it to transport a cane or a pair of forearm crutches on the ECV?
- Any other sage advice for an ECV first-timer?

I can just help you with the cane-mine is a folding cane, so I just fold it up and keep it in the basket all the time (except when I'm using it). I've rented both in parks, and off-site, and scooters were always available, even though I always arrived at least an hour or two after rope drop. It was during the F&W, which I think is a pretty busy time. The main advice I have is be sure you drive VERY defensively. People don't see you and walk into you all the time, especially with the popularity of cell phones and the MDE app.
Did you know that in-park rentals are lots more expensive than off-site rentals? When I rented in parks, I rented for 3 days and paid $150. Last time I rented off-site for 5 days and paid $163 and had the scooter whenever I wanted/needed.

Honestly, if you are staying on site, I definitely would recommend renting ECVs from offsite, not only will they be substantially cheaper (about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price), but the resorts are HUGE and really taking them on and off the transportation isn't bad, most of the drivers will assist you.

Honestly, if you are staying on site, I definitely would recommend renting ECVs from offsite, not only will they be substantially cheaper (about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price), but the resorts are HUGE and really taking them on and off the transportation isn't bad, most of the drivers will assist you.
I mean, I've been to the parks several times before and after becoming disabled, and I'm familiar with the size of the resorts, and familiar with transportation, which actually was very much a hassle with my manual wheelchair on my last visit.

The main advice I have is be sure you drive VERY defensively. People don't see you and walk into you all the time...

Oh, 100% this. In my wheelchair, people would just dart out right in front of me, as if I was a stationary object. No one understands that it's hard to stop that fast, and I'm sure it'll be even worse with a motorized scooter! I actually had a woman walking toward me decide to suddenly turn and walk directly in my path with about 4" of room for me to try to stop, and she fell on top of me, which was very painful for me, and probably her as well! I've also had people run into me while I'm completely stationary because they aren't watching where they're going.

I used an ECV from offsite this past March, my 1st time using an ECV. It was the 3 wheel type that can be dismantled. Mine was very easy to use and easy to turn, etc. I was very glad I did not choose to use the in-park ones. I had never noticed the difference before but this time I did and the in-park ones were very big in comparison and didn`t seem to be as easy to maneuver.

Parks can and do run out of ECVs so if you go that route have a backup plan.

Honestly off site is cheaper and provides use at your resort. If it’s just transporting them, as others have pointed out, you can always find assistance.

Oh, 100% this. In my wheelchair, people would just dart out right in front of me, as if I was a stationary object. No one understands that it's hard to stop that fast, and I'm sure it'll be even worse with a motorized scooter! I actually had a woman walking toward me decide to suddenly turn and walk directly in my path with about 4" of room for me to try to stop, and she fell on top of me, which was very painful for me, and probably her as well! I've also had people run into me while I'm completely stationary because they aren't watching where they're going.

GMS (Gold Mobility Scooter) is $163 for 7 days & they have lighting UNDERNEATH the scooter that is very bright & brings attention to you. Will it stop stupid people from doing stupid stuff.....no but if you ever find something that does, let me know about it!!!

GMS (Gold Mobility Scooter) is $163 for 7 days & they have lighting UNDERNEATH the scooter that is very bright & brings attention to you. Will it stop stupid people from doing stupid stuff.....no but if you ever find something that does, let me know about it!!!
Wow, I just checked out their site, and I love that! It's way cheaper than the other sites, and that under lighting system is smart! Reviews look great, too. I think that's the way we'll go...

Does anyone know if the scooters can go on those little boats that travel between ft wilderness, wilderness Lodge, and MK? Last visit in my manual chair, I had to transfer to the boat and then my husband collapsed the chair and brought it on board. I don't know if they have a procedure for ECVs or if we need to take alternate transportation for that

Does anyone know if the scooters can go on those little boats that travel between ft wilderness, wilderness Lodge, and MK? Last visit in my manual chair, I had to transfer to the boat and then my husband collapsed the chair and brought it on board. I don't know if they have a procedure for ECVs or if we need to take alternate transportation for that
on the boats where you had to fold wheelchair can not take ECV but the larger boats to either can take ECVs and I have done this to the Fort and a couple of times stopped at Lodge on the way.

Typically the boats there are scheduled so that every other boat is a "bigger" boat that you can drive an ECV on to, and not the smaller launches that will only take ambulatory passengers who can make the step into the boat. (and your equipment must fold down to be loaded)

I think the last time we had to wait for a bigger boat, it was less than 30 minutes. When we stay at WL or FW, we often take the boat from MK over; it's a really lovely trip!

Typically the boats there are scheduled so that every other boat is a "bigger" boat that you can drive an ECV on to, and not the smaller launches that will only take ambulatory passengers who can make the step into the boat. (and your equipment must fold down to be loaded)

I think the last time we had to wait for a bigger boat, it was less than 30 minutes. When we stay at WL or FW, we often take the boat from MK over; it's a really lovely trip!
Perfect!! We're staying at CCV at wilderness lodge this time, so it's definitely a route we'll need to take a couple times

I have always used BP Mobility. (About 5 years now.) They are friendly, prompt and were especially helpful when we needed to extend after Hurricane Matthew. The scooters I receive are in great condition. Although, one time, I did get a scooter with a funky wheel and they, within the hour, brought a new one back to me. I has always rented the Victory 10 3 wheel as it seems to have a great battery life and super maneuverability. I highly recommend them!

Hello! Looking for recommendations on ECV rentals for my next trip.

Details:
- 9 day, 8 night stay. 5 park days (no park hopping)
- 2 of us will need ECVs on park days, but use other mobility aids on non-park days

I'm leaning toward using Disney's scooter rental service rather than an outside service since we won't need them for the whole stay, and I don't want to deal with maneuvering them around our resort or on transportation.

Questions:
- If we arrive right at rope drop, how long will we need to spend at the ECV rental location?
- How difficult is it to transport a cane or a pair of forearm crutches on the ECV?
- Any other sage advice for an ECV first-timer?

At Disney it is on a first come first served basis. So if you get there late one day you might be out of luck. If you are going at a crowded time of year then I wouln't chance it. We rented and EVC for my FIL and found it very easy to deal with on the buses and around the resorts. We stayed at OKW that trip. They called us from the HH to let us know it had arrived. I went there to get it. Drove it to our unit. When FIL and MIL arrived it was there waiting for them. At the end of the week we called the rental company to let them know. We returned it to the HH and they picked it up there. Really very painless.

I have always used BP Mobility. (About 5 years now.) They are friendly, prompt and were especially helpful when we needed to extend after Hurricane Matthew. The scooters I receive are in great condition. Although, one time, I did get a scooter with a funky wheel and they, within the hour, brought a new one back to me. I has always rented the Victory 10 3 wheel as it seems to have a great battery life and super maneuverability. I highly recommend them!

Do you know if BP mobility scooters have the squeeze-type handles to control speed (like Buena Vista), or the type like Walker has where you push a little lever? The Walker handles really hurt my thumbs.

Keep in mind Gold Mobility is an in person vendor. This means you must set up an appointment to get the scooter and drop off the scooter.

Also, your park days at Disney need to be all in a row for the 5 days or you will have to pay for extra time whether you use the scooter or not all days.

4 wheel scooters are considered to be more stable while the 3 wheel is easier on maneuverability like with making turns.

Keep in mind Gold Mobility is an in person vendor. This means you must set up an appointment to get the scooter and drop off the scooter.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I was looking around their website and it looked like there was an option for them to drop off/pickup at the resort

Can you explain what you mean by this? I was looking around their website and it looked like there was an option for them to drop off/pickup at the resort

They will meet you at the resort. They can’t utilize Bell Services for drop-off/pick-up. Only 4 vendors have “featured vendor” status with WDW for that. Vendors are listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!