ECV inside restaurants? Wheelchairs to transfer? Unable to walk at all.

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Dear All,

as usual very grateful for any advice assistance. This entire experience will be a new one for me. I am no longer able to walk and am only able to use one arm fully.We have many of our most favourite restaurants booked but I’ve suddenly started panicking... I cannot work out how I will be able to get to the tables. As I will be in a hired ECV, a chair is too much for myfamily members to push constantly in that heat and I cannot manually propel. I will need to get all the way to the table... are there chairs at restaurants I am able to rather unceremoniously transfer into? Can I drive up to the tables in the restaurants and either be lifted (By family) to a seat and then my wife move the ECV away?

I am truly dreading this trip, it has been our happy place of a million memories for more than 15 years of annual or more trips, I just don’t want to spoil what we have of our wonderful memories but being a burden or having the embarrassment of a clumsy transfer I can’t manage and these become the new memories.

I am so sorry I don’t mean to sound negative this is just a lot to deal with and it’s so new still. I have been bed bound pretty much for 14 months so the idea of going to Disney this summer with my wife and kids is both exciting and massively intimidating too. Anyway, any help on this or general advice for someone who’ll be permanently ECV travelling and cannot stand or walk about but wants to try and so everything possible to keep it normal in the parks and resorts for my kids, would be most appreciated. Thanks guys ☺

Sadly, I don’t know if you’ll be able to drive the scooter inside some of the restaurants because of tight spaces. I’d talk to the person at the check in station at each restaurant to see what can be done.

I have never had an issue. It will help if you note it in your ADR. There's an option to notify the restaurant if there are special needs. I'm not sure if you can make the notation in an already-made reservation by using MDE or the website, you may need to call.

Dear All,

as usual very grateful for any advice assistance. This entire experience will be a new one for me. I am no longer able to walk and am only able to use one arm fully.We have many of our most favourite restaurants booked but I’ve suddenly started panicking... I cannot work out how I will be able to get to the tables. As I will be in a hired ECV, a chair is too much for myfamily members to push constantly in that heat and I cannot manually propel. I will need to get all the way to the table... are there chairs at restaurants I am able to rather unceremoniously transfer into? Can I drive up to the tables in the restaurants and either be lifted (By family) to a seat and then my wife move the ECV away?

I am truly dreading this trip, it has been our happy place of a million memories for more than 15 years of annual or more trips, I just don’t want to spoil what we have of our wonderful memories but being a burden or having the embarrassment of a clumsy transfer I can’t manage and these become the new memories.

I am so sorry I don’t mean to sound negative this is just a lot to deal with and it’s so new still. I have been bed bound pretty much for 14 months so the idea of going to Disney this summer with my wife and kids is both exciting and massively intimidating too. Anyway, any help on this or general advice for someone who’ll be permanently ECV travelling and cannot stand or walk about but wants to try and so everything possible to keep it normal in the parks and resorts for my kids, would be most appreciated. Thanks guys ☺
I forget the name of special needs help line but I would call them and make sure all table serve ressies have the fact of not being able to walk listed. also time I needed ECV to table it was a CM who had to move the ECV but that CM also brought it back when finished. it has been that long so I don't remember which ones we ate at. because of ADA rulings most have a way for you to get to a table but some are back ways. Hoop Dee Doo you have to enter thru Trails End and they will most likely bring your whole group in that way

Dear All,

Take a deep breath. It's going to be OK! 🙂

I know... this is a LONG reply, but hopefully it's all helpful!

First of all, as others here have said, use the My Disney Experience app to make sure that all of your table service ADRs have been noted that you will need accessible seating. That's all you have to say "Need accessible seating". And although I have never been into the Brown Derby at HS with my personal mobility device, I have been in quite a few - far more than 50% of the TS dining venues at WDW, and I have always been allowed to drive to the table, and then (if needed) the device was removed until the meal was completed, when it would be brought back to me by a family member.

Letting the TS ADRs know in advance that you need accessible seating means they will typically place you just inside the door, or right off of a main "corridor" within the venue where you should be able to easily transfer. Again, as others have said - just be sure to let the podium know exactly what your needs are when you arrive for the ADR.

Remember that if you are staying on property, you will want to make sure that you have an accessible room booked for you - that will make the transfer in and out of bed MUCH easier, as well as give you grab bars for the bathroom.

You can discuss this, and any other specific needs you may have for the Resort by calling Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com

Since you have the use of one hand/arm, you may want to let Disabiltiy Services know that you will need the grab rails to be on that side for safety in the Resort bathroom. Some rooms have the grab rails next to the toilet on the right side of the commode, and others have it on the left side. If that is important, be sure to tell them NOW, rather than hoping and praying you get the right "side" room when you arrive.

If you have personal mobility equipment at home, and you are flying to WDW, remember that all US airline carriers will fly any of your medical equipment for free - including any personal mobility device (scooter, Rollator, wheelchair, CPAP, etc.) but do reach out to the airline and let them know exactly what kind of equipment you will be bringing so that they can tell you what their particular policies and procedures are.

If you need any medical supplies delivered to your hotel room, do let the front desk know that you will be getting medical supplies delivered during your stay, and what method (Fedex, UPS, Amazon, etc.) and ask that the standard package fee be waived since it will be for medical supplies. (Disney doesn't have to waive the fee, but it is my experience that they will if you tell them you are getting medical supplies)

Remember that if you need a bit more of a break than sitting on the ECV provides, First Aid will be your friend in all 4 of the Parks. You can go there to cool off, and even lie down for a bit if they have a cot available. They also have (generic) Tylenol 🙂

Remember to discuss the trip in advance with your medical team, and take their suggestions to heart, especially regarding things like sun exposure (some drugs can cause real problems with prolonged sun exposure - you don't want to come home with a 3rd degree sunburn!) and be sure to bring an ample supply of any prescription drugs.

Plan your cooling strategies ahead of time; remember sunblock, a wide brimmed hat and SPF clothing will all be important. Cooling towels, and free ice water from all of the Quick Service spots will help also! Pay special attention to the "tops" - the tops of your ears, shoulders, arms, hands, legs, and feet will all be getting prolonged exposure to sun as you sit in the ECV.

Let's talk a bit about actually driving an ECV at WDW.

(Below this, I'm using "you" and "your" to refer to you, and your family)

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Don't worry if y'all park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing".

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry.

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

Remember that you won't park it outside your hotel room - it goes in your hotel room every night to full recharge - and I know it goes without saying that you don't ever want leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't want to grow legs and "walk" away...

There is plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to park & charge a standard scooter.

Disney Springs merits a quick mention - because it's open to the public with no admission, there is a greater chance that someone *might* try to take it on a joyride, but simply taking the key with you every time you leave it solves a lot of that kind of nonsense!

There should be no problems using the scooter there, either. You can even use the water taxi system to get from one end of the Springs to the other with the ECV.

Now, let's talk about buses. And ramps. (and Monorails and boats, too - they use portable ramps to get on and off)

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙃

At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine 🙂

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

When it's time to drive off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

Boats: All of the boats, except for the little launches at Poly & WL, are accessible. Most of the boats will have a portable ramp that a CM will place for you to drive on and off the boat. The exception to this is at WL; the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on.

Monorail: You will see the same portable ramps at the Monorail stations that we use at the boats. A CM will tell you which car to drive to, and will place a ramp for you. Sometimes, you get lucky, and you drive on, and drive off - but there will be times when you have to back off down the ramp. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, and take your time for safety.

Skyliner: You will be directed to a special area for loading where the Skyliner cabins are stopped at all stations (except for Riveria, and that should *not* be attempted by a novice driver because they can't stop the line there)

The Skyliner cabins are all a direct drive-on; no ramp is needed. Once the ECV is in the cabin, the CM will place wheel chocks to prevent the scooter from rolling across the cabin during flight. When you arrive at your destination, your cabin will be sent to the HA loading area, and the CM will enter the cabin to remove the chocks, and you will back straight off the Skyliner. Again take your time, and keep your wheels straight.

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed - this may be indicated on the controls by a "turtle" - and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety.

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift)

- You can always practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc.

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider. (or as our family says, "one seat, one butt" 🤣)

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security. In your case, you will most likely need a helper; let the security staff know that your helper will be working with you to handle your belongings.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

- If you can, practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively.

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

Let us know if you have any more questions about ECV use at WDW! You'll have a great trip - you have LOTS of memories waiting for you! 🙂

off the top of my head:

50s prime time and Sci-Fi were very accessible. I can transfer but Sci-Fi has car tables that you can wheel right up to. Le Cellier wasn't too bad. BOG was crowded but doable. the one with the aquarium whose name escapes me ATM there were a lot of disgruntled people in ECVs who had to wait extra long past their ADRs because only a few spots are accessible if you can't do stairs or transfer. plus table size is a concern there as well.

Everything will be fine. I have not been able to transfer from my ecv for the last few trips (last August, 2019). I have sometimes had to wait for,a better accommodating table (scoot er cannot stick out in an aisle, walkway). When you make reservations, before you "reserve" on line, there is a "special request", check that box. Once "inside" scroll down "for allergy" section. Next section, asking for wheelchair accommodations, just check box. When verifying reservation, wheelchair request will show.

I'm not sure if you have your own ecv, but I have rented from Gold,Mobility (there are lots of third party vendors, but not sure what they carry. I personally have used the 3 wheel, captains chair (my Cadillac) ecv. It will turn 180 degrees, pushing you near table (sitting at actual table) and then there is a lever to pull the chair up closer to the table. I found this exceptionally comfortable and accommodating.

(They ability to push the actual seat forward, not only is great with table seating, but anytime I would transfer from chair to bed and personal hygiene needs).

I've wondered about this also. CMs have always told me at restaurants that I'd have to leave my ECV and walk. ALWAYS! I did, although increasingly like a drunken person, but now my disease has advanced to the state where that may not be possible. The only time I've seen an ECV in a restaurant was at Yak and Yeti once. However, all the info here really helps. And mamabunny, once again thanks especially for all your help.

I've wondered about this also. CMs have always told me at restaurants that I'd have to leave my ECV and walk. ALWAYS! I did, although increasingly like a drunken person, but now my disease has advanced to the state where that may not be possible. The only time I've seen an ECV in a restaurant was at Yak and Yeti once. However, all the info here really helps. And mamabunny, once again thanks especially for all your help.

When you get to the TS venue, tell the CMs at the podium that you can not transfer. If they say something like "All ECVs have to stay outside" then you can explain that you are no longer able to walk at all, but choose to use your personal mobility device, and if they need any further clarification, ask to loop in a manager 😬

(And, you are welcome - I'm so glad I can help you any little bit at all! 🙂)

I bring my own ECO and have taken it into many restaurants and quick service at Disney. The CMs have for the most part been very helpful, but there are restaurants just too crowded with tables to get a scooter into for meals. Only one they told me no entry was BOG, but they offered a manual wheelchair for my family to push me into the table. At most restaurants I ride in, then either my family or the server take it outside and park it. I always request wheelchair access so they know i will need an easily accessible table.

If they'd let me at least park it near the check-in, I could probably get to the table. But on my last trip, Narcoose's made me park outside and Ale & Compass made me park in the hotel lobby, and those extra steps to walk make it difficult.

On our recent trip, the only restaurants we had issues with were Be Our Guest and La Hacienda de San Angel. At Be Our Guest, they were adamant that the ECV could not be brought into the restaurant, and they did not have a transfer wheelchair available. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

At La Hacienda, we could drive the ECV into the restaurant but there was not space to park it at the table, so we did the transfer from ECV to chair, then the cast member took the ECV back outside and parked it for us (and were VERY nice doing so).

If you're down to one usable arm, is it in your budget to get a power wheelchair rather than an ECV? It gives you quite a bit more mobility without so much strain, especially in your shoulders.

If you're down to one usable arm, is it in your budget to get a power wheelchair rather than an ECV? It gives you quite a bit more mobility without so much strain, especially in your shoulders.
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say so as I have no experience with power chairs.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say so as I have no experience with power chairs.
DW has Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy, so while she can still do an ECV now, we are planning soon to get a power wheelchair. They tend to be a bit more expensive to rent and significantly heavier, but the joystick control on your good arm's hand can make all the difference in the world over the course of a long day. ECV's require your arms to be held forward whenever they are in use - I'm not sure about your situation, but for many who are losing arm and shoulder mobility, this is an unsustainable strain. Power wheelchairs require no shoulder motion (hand-only) and can turn almost in place, making it much easier for your 'zero transfer' situation.

Would you consider renting a power chair instead? They are designed to support the non-ambulatory moreso than an ECV. With a zero turn radius chair you would have little trouble putting your seat up to a table in most restaurants at WDW.

Scootaround rents the Whill ci, a power chair that weighs 115 pounds and can be broken down to 3 pieces.

it has a controller that is more like a mouse than a joystick. Very easy to use.

I’ve owned mine for a year and a half. I love it.

The only problem with renting a power chair at WDW (as @SueM in MN and others have noted here before) is that often the rental companies will not rent to you unless you have a power chair at home. They may ask you what specific make/model you own so that they can rent you a chair that is most like the one you use daily.

There is a *much* steeper learning curve to using a power chair than there is an ECV. Driving an ECV is a lot like driving a car (or a riding lawn mower for that matter!) and driving a power chair is a whole different skill set. I know, because I spent February learning to drive my beautiful new purple Fold & Go chair (Named him Figment, or "Figgy" LOL), and I am still kind of surprised at how very different it is than my previous personal mobility device.

Unless the person considering using a power chair at WDW has some good solid experience under their belt, I would not suggest trying to learn at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter