Ecv riders I hate to get in your business

Hmm...one person in this story was rude. The other peformed a criminal action (assualt). Is the point that you acted like a jerk? Because that's the point that I would have gotten if I had witnessed the incident.

Agree 100% ^

As to #4 that was no accident and since you waited until it was crowded what if you accidentally hit someone else - especially a child?

I am hoping that Rusty Scupper had a rough night last night and these posts of his/hers are just a result of that and not real world incidents........

1) When I use an ECV, my crutches are usually bungee-corded to the front basket.
2) I overheard such a comment about my ise of an ECV.
3) I slowed down an dlet the person pass.
4) Then, when the foot traffic got heavy, I accidentally drove into the back of their leg.
5) I excused myself saying that, "Sorry, I am handicapped."
6) MAYBE they got the point.

Just gross.

I've had severe mobility limitations since childhood due to rheumatoid arthritis. I resisted getting or using a powerchair for decades because I feared what people would think of me. Then I finally broke down and got one. That first day out in public I was so busy going off enjoying myself in places and traveling distances I hadn't been able to do in forever (I literally felt like Anna on the morning of the big coronation ball) I didn't have time to waste on what people might say, look or do.

In my experience, I think a lot of the negative attitude people in Disney parks have toward scooter/ECV users has to do with the machines themselves. Especially the huge park rental ones. They are clunky behemoths with poor speed controls, imprecise steering/braking systems and huge turning radiuses. Combine that with some inexperienced drivers and blatantly naive pedestrians and accidents will happen. The offsite rentals can be better as long as they are properly maintained. People must realize these things do not stop on a dime, nor can they make sudden minute turns. It's also a bad habit of pedestrians to see empty space at their eye/chest level and assume the way is clear. That leads many to stray into the path of a wheelie and create a potential accident situation. Injury and frustration builds on both sides. That makes people mouth off. Anger can make us all appear really ignorant and stupid.

A few years ago I made light of it all in a blog post about my made up "EPCOT F&W WHEELIE GAME RULES". That's how I deal with it. Humor brings laughter and understanding but also miraculously diffuses anger. My rules are thus:

OBJECT OF THE GAME: Navigate EPCOT'S Food & Wine Festival on wheels with full drink in hand.

OBSTACLES AND POINT AWARDS & DEDUCTIONS...
SIDEWALKERS: pedestrians who "think" they are walking in a straight line but are really gently gliding toward their left or right, whichever brings them directly into your path. +1 point if you successfully avoid hitting them.
SLOWWALKERS: pedestrians who progressively slow down their pace until a snail will easily beat them in a race. +1 point awarded for every second you patiently tolerate their pace. -1 point if you break cover and zoom around them.
DEADSTOPPERS: pedestrians who suddenly stop dead in their path regardless of who or what may be behind them, usually to take a photo which may also involve some backwards blind steps. +1 point for not hitting them.
DARTERS: Usually pedestrian children who suddenly and without any reason or forethought run across all traffic assuming they alone are invincible. Keep your eye out for empty strollers parked nearby. If you hit a darter you lose all points because this is Disney and no one is allowed to hit a kid. I think Tinkerbelle actually extracts happy thoughts from your memories as a punishment.

Since then I've added CELLPHONEWALKERS: pedestrians looking at their phones while walking in a massive game of chicken. They will aim straight for you so just slow down or stop completely. Enjoy your drink while you wait for them to realize they are walking into a solid wall. It's quite amusing.

If you make it to your destination without spilling a drop, down your drink and get another. You deserve it. Extra points awarded if game played after dark. Triple points on weekends when it's crowded and the proportion of intoxicated persons goes up.

Bottomline, people can say and do a lot of stupid things in public. Ignorance pretty much explains 90% of the use of Twitter and YouTube comments. Life is too short to credit it. If you are, then you're probably like me and letting your own inner demons amplify the noise and make you feel bad. We all have insecurities. We all think we can do better. So try not to give more power to those demons than they deserve. I look very physically disabled. Sometimes makes me jealous of people who don't look it. It can get very unsettling when people assume you have absolutely no intelligence or independence because you look off. I think one reason I'm able to brush off that kind of ignorance so easily is a lesson my mom taught me when I was very small. She said most people never see a person like me and have absolutely no knowledge to draw on. It's my chance to educate them. Wouldn't I love to know what it's like to be an astronaut or a dolphin?

Hope it helps. and if it doesn't hope you at least chuckled a bit.

A few years ago I made light of it all in a blog post about my made up "EPCOT F&W WHEELIE GAME RULES". That's how I deal with it. Humor brings laughter and understanding but also miraculously diffuses anger. My rules are thus:

OBJECT OF THE GAME: Navigate EPCOT'S Food & Wine Festival on wheels with full drink in hand.

OBSTACLES AND POINT AWARDS & DEDUCTIONS...
SIDEWALKERS: pedestrians who "think" they are walking in a straight line but are really gently gliding toward their left or right, whichever brings them directly into your path. +1 point if you successfully avoid hitting them.
SLOWWALKERS: pedestrians who progressively slow down their pace until a snail will easily beat them in a race. +1 point awarded for every second you patiently tolerate their pace. -1 point if you break cover and zoom around them.
DEADSTOPPERS: pedestrians who suddenly stop dead in their path regardless of who or what may be behind them, usually to take a photo which may also involve some backwards blind steps. +1 point for not hitting them.
DARTERS: Usually pedestrian children who suddenly and without any reason or forethought run across all traffic assuming they alone are invincible. Keep your eye out for empty strollers parked nearby. If you hit a darter you lose all points because this is Disney and no one is allowed to hit a kid. I think Tinkerbelle actually extracts happy thoughts from your memories as a punishment.

Since then I've added CELLPHONEWALKERS: pedestrians looking at their phones while walking in a massive game of chicken. They will aim straight for you so just slow down or stop completely. Enjoy your drink while you wait for them to realize they are walking into a solid wall. It's quite amusing.

If you make it to your destination without spilling a drop, down your drink and get another. You deserve it. Extra points awarded if game played after dark. Triple points on weekends when it's crowded and the proportion of intoxicated persons goes up.

Bottomline, people can say and do a lot of stupid things in public. Ignorance pretty much explains 90% of the use of Twitter and YouTube comments. Life is too short to credit it. If you are, then you're probably like me and letting your own inner demons amplify the noise and make you feel bad. We all have insecurities. We all think we can do better. So try not to give more power to those demons than they deserve. I look very physically disabled. Sometimes makes me jealous of people who don't look it. It can get very unsettling when people assume you have absolutely no intelligence or independence because you look off. I think one reason I'm able to brush off that kind of ignorance so easily is a lesson my mom taught me when I was very small. She said most people never see a person like me and have absolutely no knowledge to draw on. It's my chance to educate them. Wouldn't I love to know what it's like to be an astronaut or a dolphin?

Hope it helps. and if it doesn't hope you at least chuckled a bit.
I so needed this before my last trip. Although I would have lost too many points "breaking cover" and dashing around slow people. And Cellphone Walkers. Agh. I've started yelling "Look Up" at them. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it draws attention to others around them, then everyone can watch them walk into me. The best one was when a group of friends, obviously tired of the person constantly staring at their phone, allowed him to walk into the front of the scooter. I was sitting there with the key out. Guess what? You can't be motoring without the key.

I will say, that I never, not once, spilled my drink.

Unfortunately the CELLPHONEWALKERS are a HUGE problem, and Disney encourages it with how much they allow/encourage you to do on your cell phone-now you can mobile order food. Imagine-order food while walking blindly walking into someone. I'm here now with an ECV, and I'm constantly being walked into by people who just walk into me while looking elsewhere, 90% of the time they're looking at their phone. Then they give ME the dirty look after they walk into my scooter.

Cellphone walkers are the WORST. And Disney does encourage it - order your food, check your fastpasses, find wait times, etc. all on your phone. Last trip at EPCOT I saw one guy blindly walking with his phone - never once looked up - and a person on an ECV who never once looked in front of her. She had her head turned left, talking to her friend the whole time. She was unknowingly drifting right coming one way( I guess a Side Rider?). He actually was going pretty straight, but coming the other way on her right. It was like my brain was in slow motion. I could see the collision coming when they were still several feet away from each other but it couldn't process to my mouth in time. CRASH. Had either one actually looked the direction they were going, it would have been avoided.

@BroganMc Bravo!!! This is BRILLIANT and we are totally keeping score next time we find ourselves at Epcot during any festival! LOL

I propose you need to add another category, maybe - INSTAGRAMWANDERERS. They are a subspecies of the CELLPHONEWALKERS. The INSTAGRAMWANDERER is typically the female of the species, although there are some very prolific males afflicted with this condition as well. Not unlike a zombie, the INSTAGRAMWANDERER will lurch from side to side as they walk around the World Showcase, in a very random pattern - always in search of new walls to stand in front of, and "Insta" from. Purple walls, and certain striped walls at WDW are known magnets for these unpredictable creatures. INSTAGRAMWANDERERS are often accompanied by long-suffering mates who obligingly snap photos of the INSTAGRAMWANDERER in front of picturesque scenery, objects or events. They are also notable for travel in large herds of similarly-aged females who are often (somewhat/slightly/totally) inebriated, and clad in apparel that says "Drinking My Way Around the World" or something similar.

I'm going to propose these point values - but you are creator of the game, so if we need to change them, that's cool! ;)

+1 point for every INSTAGRAMWANDERER you can successfully navigate away from

- 1 point for every INSTAGRAMWANDERER Instagram Post you accidentally show up in!

- 2 points if an INSTAGRAMWANDERER spills their drink on you...

and BONUS POINTS: +5 points for making it all the way around World Showcase during Illuminations without running into one or more INSTAGRAMWANDERERS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!