ECV transportation questions

MulanMom

MK is my happy place!
We've had a trip planned preCovid for 12/19-12/26 to celebrate a special event. We rented points for an OKW grand villa so we have much invested and cannot easily cancel and reschedule. I've been reading up on current conditions at WDW and have some questions for the experienced folks on this board.

WDW has always been a good vacation destination for us of late because it's friendly to folks with disabilities. And although still accommodating, there are some post COVID changes that are concerning. First, I'm worried about bus transportation. In the past, we've been able to work around the limitations by taking the bus at off-times, using the monorail or boat transportation. With the limited park hours and the Epcot monorail not running as well as some of the boats (from OKW to DS, for example), it places us in the position of being more dependent on the buses. In the past, we've run into the occasion where buses have been full or already had 2 wheelchairs/ECVs on, but that was usually the exception. Now, with the reduction in the number of parties/people allowed on the bus along with the ECV not having boarding priority, I'm wondering if we will be looking at 1-2 hour long waits at busy times to get on a bus. OKW has 5 bus stops. Returning from the parks is not a big deal. We can wait. However, getting to a park will be a different story.

My questions:
1) If anyone has been post COVID, how has your experience been with the buses?

2) As a back up plan, I'm looking at possibly either using Mears accessible taxi or Minnie Van...or renting an accessible van. Using the taxi service may be less expensive over the week, but during Xmas week, will we be waiting just as long for the taxi to show as we are for a bus?

3) If a bus arrives at a stop and has room for us but people are seated in the seats that are usually folded up to accommodate the ECV, will bus driver make them move?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!

As to your back-up plans: I don't believe the Minnie Vans are running at this time. If you call and then wait for a taxi, you could be waiting for a while, depending upon where an existing vehicle is.

Especially at high-trafficked bus stops at popular times at the resorts, there is often a CM to help with bus issues and call for an additional bus, especially if there is a backlog of ECVs/wheelchairs.

Usually, drivers will ask people to move. At least for now, there are limited numbers of parties per bus, each assigned to a different zone. My expectation would be that zones that can accommodate ECVs or wheellchairs are left open until last (or there is an ECV/wheelchair). Different divers may use different emphasis to encourage people to move. There does have to be somewhere for them to move to.

I have often found it helpful to go to the first stop at whatever resort I'm staying at and board the bus there. We often stay at CSR and know the different paths to El Centro well.

DH and I were there in July for re-opening. I use a manual wheelchair, not an ECV. Unlike “normal” times, it was rare that there was someone else in a wheelchair or ECV in line with us. For the most part (but not everywhere-it’s inconsistent), you will get in regular queue. A lot of locations have a transportation CM there. When the bus pulled up, often the transportation CM would count parties back to us and tell the driver to leave Zone 2 or 3 open. The guest ahead of us would be seated in other zones and then we would board.

As to your back-up plans: I don't believe the Minnie Vans are running at this time. If you call and then wait for a taxi, you could be waiting for a while, depending upon where an existing vehicle is.

Especially at high-trafficked bus stops at popular times at the resorts, there is often a CM to help with bus issues and call for an additional bus, especially if there is a backlog of ECVs/wheelchairs.

Usually, drivers will ask people to move. At least for now, there are limited numbers of parties per bus, each assigned to a different zone. My expectation would be that zones that can accommodate ECVs or wheellchairs are left open until last (or there is an ECV/wheelchair). Different divers may use different emphasis to encourage people to move. There does have to be somewhere for them to move to.

I have often found it helpful to go to the first stop at whatever resort I'm staying at and board the bus there. We often stay at CSR and know the different paths to El Centro well.
Thank you, SteveMouse! I forgot about the transportation CMs being at stops in the AM to help facilitate. Eases my mind a bit!

DH and I were there in July for re-opening. I use a manual wheelchair, not an ECV. Unlike “normal” times, it was rare that there was someone else in a wheelchair or ECV in line with us. For the most part (but not everywhere-it’s inconsistent), you will get in regular queue. A lot of locations have a transportation CM there. When the bus pulled up, often the transportation CM would count parties back to us and tell the driver to leave Zone 2 or 3 open. The guest ahead of us would be seated in other zones and then we would board.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hope they are doing the same in December!

I'm not sure you can compare July with the holiday season of Christmas. I believe the Christmas season will be busier.

I can tell you have a low tolerance to waiting for transportation; so, I would rent a vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter