Eess-ah-ee-ahss?

In Spanish the letter "I" is pronounced like the name of the letter "E" in English. "A" is pronounced like "ah". Most of the time words are pronounced in a way that is easily predictable to anyone who knows how to pronounce the vowels.

So Isaias is pronounced like: e-sah-E-ahs. (At least that was what I learned the first day in 8th grade Spanish class. Considering how hard it can be to predict the pronunciation of some English words, that came as a blessed relief!)

i don’t pronounce it well, but it does look like we will get the remnants of it 🥴
NOT looking forward to that. I hope everyone stays safe . 🌈❤️

This just feels wrong. If someone familiar with Spanish is having an issue with a Spanish name, it’s not a good choice of name to use for a storm. Personally, I feel when dealing with something that can cause a national emergency it should have as simple, and easy to pronounce, a name as possible. The name can be Spanish, or French, or any language you like, but don’t make it something difficult to pronounce and/or understand.
I agree. I get Idea of naming hurricanes with Portuguese / Spanish names as a symbol to the original and Effected areas but one should name them as simple and easy to understand as possible as the names are used in all emergency / warning messages and calls.

It’s kind of like naming your kid a name that passes the IKEA” name Test. . Basically you want to name that everyone can pronounce. A good test is having a name that at IKEA they can pronounce to announce over the speaker system if your kid wants to be picked up from kiddyland.

I agree. I get Idea of naming hurricanes with Portuguese / Spanish names as a symbol to the original and Effected areas but one should name them as simple and easy to understand as possible as the names are used in all emergency / warning messages and calls.

It’s kind of like naming your kid a name that passes the IKEA” name Test. . Basically you want to name that everyone can pronounce. A good test is having a name that at IKEA they can pronounce to announce over the speaker system if your kid wants to be picked up from kiddyland.
THe only problem is... How do you pronounce IKEA? ;-)

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ikea-pronunciation-267419

Considering there’s over 50 million Spanish speakers in the USA and a lot of these hurricanes go over Spanish speaking countries and islands it makes sense to have some Hispanic names. It’s a simple name for a big portion of the population that it effected.

Considering there’s over 50 million Spanish speakers in the USA and a lot of these hurricanes go over Spanish speaking countries and islands it makes sense to have some Hispanic names. It’s a simple name for a big portion of the population that it effected.
It's not an easy to pronounce name generally. Some Spanish, some German, some French, some English, fine. But the selections need to be reasonably universal in ease.

I agree with others I can see how the pronunciation would be difficult to grasp but it's nothing personal it's nothing against a culture it's just a difficult name. I don't know anyone who has said they have an issue with the culture from which the names are chosen from just the particular name used and it's difficulty in saying it. I can understand wishing they had named it a bit of an easier name.

I also live in a city where if you're not from here typically you don't pronounce it correctly. I wouldn't want them to name a storm after my city either would be too difficult for people to say even though it's only 6 letters long.

I see it and my brain thinks plural Of Isaiah.

As for IKEA, when we were in Amsterdam, our host pronounced it Icky-uh. Like icky and uh. Accent on the first syllable. Had never heard of the US pronunciation. I told her people wouldn’t warm up to a company that started with icky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter