Electronic Copy Of Birth Certificate

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
Is an electronic copy of my child’s birth certificate okay for flying, or should I be prepared to show a paper copy? TIA

You MAY be asked for it especially when flying as a lap infant..an original copy is what you'll want to have just in case.

However..my not yet 2 year old has been on 10 (domestic) flights and we have never been asked to produce anything.

You MAY be asked for it especially when flying as a lap infant..an original copy is what you'll want to have just in case.

However..my not yet 2 year old has been on 10 (domestic) flights and we have never been asked to produce anything.
If you've booked the "not yet 2 year old" on a regular (read seat-assigned) ticket, you wouldn't be asked for anything. If that child were flying as a lap child, every airline will most likely require proof that the child is under 2, due to FAA regulations...which are VERY strict. I know Southwest DEFINITELY requires a B/C for a lap child...

If you've booked the "not yet 2 year old" on a regular (read seat-assigned) ticket, you wouldn't be asked for anything. If that child were flying as a lap child, every airline will most likely require proof that the child is under 2, due to FAA regulations...which are VERY strict. I know Southwest DEFINITELY requires a B/C for a lap child...
I understand I may be asked and I advise everyone to be prepared.

My daughter will be 2 at the end of January and has only had an assigned seat on 4/10 flights.

Ymmv I have heard Southwest tends to ask more than others but we have only flown them once with her because we generally avoid SW.

We will be flying to wdw for her 2nd bday and on the way there is booked as a lap child...this time because she looks like a 2 year old I imagine my chances of being asked are greater than they were when she was obviously under 2.

NOT. TSA doesnt require ID jf the passenger is under 18. Airline will require proof of age for age qualified fare

Thank you! I think we will be okay then. Our tickets all cost the same. It will be me, DH, and our triplet boys who are all 9.

the OP specified birth certificate, not general identification. Simple extrapolation indicates flight, not TSA.
Why would a BC be necessary for a flight if not to provide ID? People have asked in the past about ID for children to get through TSA, so that's not an outlandish question.

Thank you! I think we will be okay then. Our tickets all cost the same. It will be me, DH, and our triplet boys who are all 9.
Yup - you're fine. No need for ID of any kind - birth certificate or not - for your kids.
At the TSA checkpoint they'll probably be asked their name, maybe their age, maybe where they're going. Easy peasy.

ETA: Since it sounds like this is your first time flying with the kids, the kids and at least one, probably both parents, will be able to go through the X-Ray instead of the imaging-thingy, and the kids can keep on their shoes. (Of course, this is subject to change based on the whim of TSA, but it's been consistently true for us.)

Yup - you're fine. No need for ID of any kind - birth certificate or not - for your kids.
At the TSA checkpoint they'll probably be asked their name, maybe their age, maybe where they're going. Easy peasy.

ETA: Since it sounds like this is your first time flying with the kids, the kids and at least one, probably both parents, will be able to go through the X-Ray instead of the imaging-thingy, and the kids can keep on their shoes. (Of course, this is subject to change based on the whim of TSA, but it's been consistently true for us.)

Thank you! This is reassuring!

When I last flew with my son who was 1 at the time, I was asked for a birth certificate at TSA. I had brought it just in case but was surprised they asked. A friend flying with her little one flying on the same flight as us was not asked. I think it all depends on the TSA agent.

When I last flew with my son who was 1 at the time, I was asked for a birth certificate at TSA. I had brought it just in case but was surprised they asked. A friend flying with her little one flying on the same flight as us was not asked. I think it all depends on the TSA agent.

I guess I will make sure we have them then, just in case.

At the area just before you actually go through security? For a domestic flight? That’s very odd. Unless you have a lap child or child-based fare you don’t need that, and in those cases the people checking are at the airline personnel at the baggage drop area, not TSA.

TSA does not require any type of ID for passengers under 18 - at all ever and fwiw a Birth Certificate is not an acceptable form of ID anyway.
The best place to get / verify this information is directly from the TSA website:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children

The only time a child will need proof of age (not ID) is if you booked them an age specific fare (this is rare as it's usually expensive) or if it is a child under two traveling un ticketed ie - as a lap rider. This is an Airline requirement not a TSA requirement and the airlines can face a big fine if they allow an over 2 to fly un ticketed. IME SWA will always require the BC for a lap rider with the others spot checking so its best to have it if your not purchasing a seat for an under 2yo.

OP - your boys do not need ID to fly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter