• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Emergency came up and we need to rent a scooter

Bristol55

Earning My Ears
We will be at Disney staying at the CBR from 1/12 to 1/19. Hubby has an illness thatjust surface and will not be able to walk, stand for any length of time. I was thinking of renting a scooter. Can anyone suggest a company that they have had good service from. We will need it at the resort also. Any suggestions for using Disney transportation? Is there a place for him to wait while the rest of the party stands in line and then join us?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Marilyn

Originally posted by Bristol55
We will be at Disney staying at the CBR from 1/12 to 1/19. Hubby has an illness thatjust surface and will not be able to walk, stand for any length of time. I was thinking of renting a scooter. Can anyone suggest a company that they have had good service from. We will need it at the resort also. Any suggestions for using Disney transportation? Is there a place for him to wait while the rest of the party stands in line and then join us?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Marilyn

Walker !!!!!!!!!!!! best one in my humble opinion. Great delivery right to the front desk of the hotel. And very good equipment and service. I am sure someone else that is smarter than me can let you know their number, but they are amazing. Disney transportation is a breeze, even in the scooter/evc....it took me a few trys on the backing in thing but got it down finally. Call soon to make sure they have the right size in stock. Also at least one person can wait with him...I am not sure if the entire party can though.
Aimee

I've used Walker Mobility( 888-scooter) with good service. Most of the offsite vendors are comparable. They charge your CC the day before they deliver the ECV to bell services at your hotel. You return it to bell services on your departure day. I'm not sure what you mean about not waiting in line. Is it for the bus? If so then the driver has to see the ECV so he/she knows you want to board. I'm usually out front where the back of the bus would stop. When a bus approaches I either wave yes if I want that bus or shake my head no so the driver knows if he has to get the lift/ramp ready. The ecv is the first to board the bus with a family member, then the front door is open to all.
IF you meant waiting in the attractions lines then most CM will say having the ECV and using Fastpass is all you need to get through the appropriate line. But if your DH needs to wait out of the sun etc then a GAC might help.
Please ask more questions. particularly if I confused you !

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave2:
Here are links to the companies that DIS posters have reported good experiences with:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

(One warning: I am using my laptop, which I haven't used for a while, so the links may be old. The companies are all all the same though)

I don't have a lot to add to Nanajo's bus instructions. Some places (like the parks) do have a spot that is marked for people with wheelchairs/ecvs to wait - you will see a wheelchair symbol that tells you where to go. For the other stops, just park close to where the bus's back door will be when it stops (easier than it sounds).
Almost all the buses have either a wheelchair lift or ramp that comes out of the back door. Make sure to practice backing up since you will need that skill to get on the bus. If your party is 6 or less (5 plus the person with the wheelchair or ecv), you can stay together for the bus. If some wait by the backdoor and some wait in the line, you risk not all getting on the same bus if it's busy.

For waiting in lines in the parks, most waiting lines have been made wheelchair accessible, so in most places, your whole party will wait in the same place as everyone else. In most cases, your whole party (6 or less) will be able to stay together. There are places where this is not possible because of the amount of space for waiting or places designated for guests traveling with wheelchairs; if so, the CM will instruct you on the number allowed.
If you go to Guest Services in any of the parks, you can get a Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities for that park. It's kind of basic information, but does give info on where the accessible entrnace is (in most cases, the Guidebook says "Proceed to the regular queue." Just having an ecv or wheelchair allows you to use the wheelchair entrances where they do exist -no need for anything else. The GAC that was mentioned stands for Guest Assistance Card. It's basically a way for CMs to be able to quickly tell what sorts of assistance someone with invisible disabilities needs. Examples would be allowing a stroller to be used the same as a wheelchair for someone with a child with special needs that make a stroller in lines a need. Most of the lines are covered (some are even air conditioned. Using fastpass (which is available to everyone) generally makes your wait in line 10 minutes or less and the entire wait is usually in a covered or inside area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter