"Emergency" kit

Magnetic

Mouseketeer
The first time we took our 7-yr-old daughter to Disney last year, I wanted to take a first-aid kit with us, but also wanted it to be small. It evolved into what we call the "emergency" kit as it covers things other than first aid. We don't go anywhere without it -- all of these things fit into a small zippered change purse/pouch that measures 3" x 4", so it fits nicely into a pocket or bag:

------------------------------------
1 Roll of Tums antacid tablets
1 Piece of moleskin, folded
2 Alcohol prep pads (for cleaning cuts)
4 bandaids
1 single-use packet Foille first aid ointment (good for sunburns too!)
1 Shout stain remover wipe
2 Pepto Bismol tablets in single-use cellophanes
2 Dramamine tablets
2 Benadryl tablets
2 Advil
2 Aspirin
4 Children's aspirin
1 hotel sewing kit, contains spare buttons and safety pins too
1 Glide dental floss in small, coin-sized coil
1 emery board/nail file
1 tiny bottle of Clear Eyes eye drops, .2 ounces (just an inch tall!)
1 mini After-Bite bug bite stick
1 OB tampon
1 Carefree pantiliner, folded in its little package
"Pen" scissors (they are 3" long and have a cap like a pen, but when you take the cap off, you squeeze the sides together to cut)
------------------------------------

We take along extra of some of these items so we can replenish the kit if we used anything during the day. It has come in handy -numerous- times, and it all fits into such a tiny package that it's easy to tote around. Thought I'd share!

Great list. I will definately pack one when we go on our trip in Feb. Nice to have in the car anyway for everyday. We keep a regular first aid kit in the car (kids play softball and there are always srapes and cuts!!). Thanks for post this for us!!

I've read so many great tips and ideas here over the past couple years that I wanted to share some of my own. :) I'm working on a packing list for foods that can be eaten on the run or prepared in the room too -- the first time we stayed at Coronado Springs, someone on the board recommended things that could be cooked with the in-room coffee pot, like instant oatmeal, cup-a-soups, hot cocoa, etc, and we usually take advantage of a few quickie meals to save both time and money.

Magnetic,
be sure to post that list when you have it completed. I am always looking for such things when we travel. We drive from WV to Fl and have the extra room to pack extras. Again, thanks for posting!!

Cya There!!

:wave2:

When we went to WDW this past May we made personal first aid kits for each of the girls and Nana too. We used a plastic, travel soap dish to keep everything together inside their backpacks. It contained the items in a small first aid kit we purchased at Wal-Mart for a dollar (various sized band-aids, antiseptic cream, alcohol pads) along with a trial size of hand sanitizer, shout wipe, handi wipe and lip balm. I think that is all. Of course we(DH and I) had the tylenol, eye drops and other stuff in our pack. The girls liked knowing they had what they needed to take care of little accidents themselves. We'll be restocking them soon to prepare for our trip in May!

Just thought I'd share the idea.

Melissa

thats an awsome idea...thanks!!!
We'll be using this in Jan!

The only thing I would add to that list is one of the flat fold rolls of duct tape. If you can't Duct it!

I also bring a couple of clothespins in my suitcase. Many uses.

> Magnetic, be sure to post that list when you have it completed.

Here's what we are taking so far -- if anyone else has ideas, please post!

2 canisters pre-sweetened kool-aid lemonade mix & 1-quart sport bottle (last year this worked great for us -- we mixed lemonade at drinking fountains and had that with us at all times to drink. We'd also mix a batch at the hotel before we went out, and we'd fill the bottle halfway with ice too so that first batch kept cold for most of the morning. Lemonade's just nicer than water sometimes, and it was cheaper to do this than buy drinks in the park. I measured the mix into ziploc baggies and put them in our day pack. We also took collapsible camping cups that took up very little space in our pack.)

Hot chocolate mixes
Lipton Cup-a-Soup
Instant Oatmeal (to be made at the hotel with water boiled in the coffee pot. We use all of these for quickie breakfasts.)

Granola Bars
Pop-tarts (can warm them on the coffee pot hot plate by wrapping tart in foil and then flipping it once one side is heated.)

Sweet Sue vacuum-packed lunchmeats
Mini-pita breads
Condiments (mustard, mayo) in foil pouches
(The vacuum meats come in a foil pouch like the tuna-in-a-pouch, but they're lunchmeats. I don't like tuna, but I always envied the ability to carry "real" food around in a pouch like that! We just found these at the supermarket (Sweet Sue is a Sara Lee brand) and got both turkey breast and ham. They don't need refrigeration until after they're opened, but I'm sure between the 3 of us, we'll eat an entire pouch per meal. We are also going to take mini pita breads to make sandwiches with these meats -- the mini pitas are the size of a large cookie, and we'll make the sandwiches up & put in baggies to take with us into the parks. We've taken pitas camping before and it holds up much better than bread, which can get crushed/flattened in a pack.

So far that's the list -- on park days we try to do two quickie meals and one big sit-down meal, whether it's a nice lunch or a nice dinner. We'd rather do this and be able to afford to go to one nice place per day instead of eating overpriced fast food throughout the day.

Thanks for the great list- I borrowed it - hope you don't mind!!!!

Not at all -- that's why I posted it! I've gotten so many good tips from these boards that I wanted to share some of ours. :)

Wow... I'll be looking for that "Sweet Sue" vac packed lunch meat soon!! I did see the tuna 'kits' that include mayo, relish, crackers and thought they might be good for our trip. Easy to carry around, quick to make, no can-opener required. I'll be shipping a box to myself at the hotel because DS has multiple food allergies and I am concerned about not being able to find his special foods down there. I will be include some of those tuna kits as well, and that lunch meat, if I can find it!! Thanks for the tip!!.....P

I noticed you included Dramamine. DW has problems with motion sickness, but Dramamine knocks her out. Any other suggestions?

> Wow... I'll be looking for that "Sweet Sue" vac packed lunch meat soon!!

If it helps, locally here we found it at Meijer, which is a superstore/grocery chain.

Dramamine -- they do make a children's strength, which is what we usually have with us. DD only once had a motion sickness issue, but we keep it just in case. Maybe try the child's strength?

Marcdavd - Try Bonine, for us, it works better than Dramamine and doesn't make you as sleepy. Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter