Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) Support

I have this. It's one of my many fears. For me, it's difficult to be at a hospital around people who are throwing up. I also had a friend who had mild developmental disability that would eat too much and get sick because of it... in fact, a few of my friends were like that.

It sucks because I start to freak out over someone getting sick. One time, my cousin had this stomachache or something, she got sick and it freaked me out so much that I had a meltdown. That was the first time I realized this as a phobia.

I mean it's so bad that it's hard for me to say the words... other than 'getting sick". D: I can't even watch Family Guy because it happens so much. I was watching Soul Surfer and the girl in the movie gets sick because of her friends arm being eaten by a shark. That really got to me.

I don't panic as much as I used to, but if it happens in real life, then I do.

Also, I do panic when i get sick. I start whimpering over it. It's just... I don't know. It's hard, you know? But like most people said, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to deal with this.

I'm so glad to find other people who hate vomit as much as I do. I am physically terrified of anything to do with it, whether its myself getting sick or seeing someone else throw-up, even just knowing that someone I know has a virus is enough to make me quarantine myself at home until the panic is over. I constantly live in fear of anyone getting sick. Its actually ruining my relationship too. Last night my fiancé was feeling a bit under the whether and I had to ask him to leave. My heart was pounding with the thought of him vomiting in front of me. I fear that this phobia is actually starting to take over my life. My family and friends don't understand it, they'll say I'm overreacting and tell me to stop being such a drama queen. They have phobias too but say that a phobia of vomit is just silly. I don't drink alcohol and always try to avoid people who are drinking it. I don't eat before bed and I constantly worry about food poisoning (bare in mind that I am very underweight and have been seeing a dietician for the past year and a half). I'm not really sure when this fear started or when it got this bad, I've had numerous tragic experiences in life that may have contributed to me being this way.

Anyway, in just over two week's I'm visiting WDW for 14 days with my fiancé for the first time. We usually visit Disneyland Paris as we live in the UK. So I just found another thread on here stating that on every trip you make to the World, you'll see someone throw up at least once. I'd never actually thought about it until this point of our countdown. We have never once seen anyone vomit in Paris (seen a small amount of vomit on the pavement exiting Space Mountain, freaked me out a little but not near as much as it would if I saw someone doing it). I've read that the Florida climate, amount of visitors at the park, the food, rides, and germs all play a part. As the park will be extremely busy the first two weeks of April I am panicking. I need someone to be honest with me and tell me whether I should prepare myself. How big of a chance is there that I'll get ill myself, see someone vomit, be vomited on? I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BE VOMITED ON OR NEAR. It will probably scar me for life. Any advice would be great as I really want to enjoy our first trip and not ruin it for myself or fiancé! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I'm so glad to find other people who hate vomit as much as I do. I am physically terrified of anything to do with it, whether its myself getting sick or seeing someone else throw-up, even just knowing that someone I know has a virus is enough to make me quarantine myself at home until the panic is over. I constantly live in fear of anyone getting sick. Its actually ruining my relationship too. Last night my fiancé was feeling a bit under the whether and I had to ask him to leave. My heart was pounding with the thought of him vomiting in front of me. I fear that this phobia is actually starting to take over my life. My family and friends don't understand it, they'll say I'm overreacting and tell me to stop being such a drama queen. They have phobias too but say that a phobia of vomit is just silly. I don't drink alcohol and always try to avoid people who are drinking it. I don't eat before bed and I constantly worry about food poisoning (bare in mind that I am very underweight and have been seeing a dietician for the past year and a half). I'm not really sure when this fear started or when it got this bad, I've had numerous tragic experiences in life that may have contributed to me being this way.

Anyway, in just over two week's I'm visiting WDW for 14 days with my fiancé for the first time. We usually visit Disneyland Paris as we live in the UK. So I just found another thread on here stating that on every trip you make to the World, you'll see someone throw up at least once. I'd never actually thought about it until this point of our countdown. We have never once seen anyone vomit in Paris (seen a small amount of vomit on the pavement exiting Space Mountain, freaked me out a little but not near as much as it would if I saw someone doing it). I've read that the Florida climate, amount of visitors at the park, the food, rides, and germs all play a part. As the park will be extremely busy the first two weeks of April I am panicking. I need someone to be honest with me and tell me whether I should prepare myself. How big of a chance is there that I'll get ill myself, see someone vomit, be vomited on? I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BE VOMITED ON OR NEAR. It will probably scar me for life. Any advice would be great as I really want to enjoy our first trip and not ruin it for myself or fiancé! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I wouldn't worry too much, but here's what I would do. Bring some kind of mp3 player that is small enough to carry in your pocket or small bag with headphones. I usually listen to music in the bathroom so that if someone is in there getting sick I don't have to hear it. I also avoid any type of ride that could cause sickness ie. tea cups, mission space, astro orbiter, star tours, etc. Whatever you do, do NOT ever put your hands in your mouth ever! When you eat, wash your hands first, don't lick your fingers, pick your teeth, etc with your hands. The stomach bug passes person to person by mouth. You touch something they touched then put your hands in your mouth. Do NOT ever use the ice bucket in a hotel room (unless there is a plastic bag you could cover it with), if someone has a sick child during vacation that ice bucket makes a great "barf bucket". Ewwwww These are just some of the tips I can offer you to steer clear from it. It's not very common to come across it. I have been to Disney 6 times since 2005 and have never seen it happen once while there. I'm jealous, have a great time!!!!:yay:

I wouldn't worry too much, but here's what I would do. Bring some kind of mp3 player that is small enough to carry in your pocket or small bag with headphones. I usually listen to music in the bathroom so that if someone is in there getting sick I don't have to hear it. I also avoid any type of ride that could cause sickness ie. tea cups, mission space, astro orbiter, star tours, etc. Whatever you do, do NOT ever put your hands in your mouth ever! When you eat, wash your hands first, don't lick your fingers, pick your teeth, etc with your hands. The stomach bug passes person to person by mouth. You touch something they touched then put your hands in your mouth. Do NOT ever use the ice bucket in a hotel room (unless there is a plastic bag you could cover it with), if someone has a sick child during vacation that ice bucket makes a great "barf bucket". Ewwwww These are just some of the tips I can offer you to steer clear from it. It's not very common to come across it. I have been to Disney 6 times since 2005 and have never seen it happen once while there. I'm jealous, have a great time!!!!:yay:

I think my main concern is the Norovirus outbreak. I will definitely take your advice. One of the main factors exciting me about the trip are the rides, I love roller-coasters and really want to go on all of the thrill rides. But I'm now having second thoughts. The thought of someone throwing up on the ride and it landing on me scares me to death. I rarely get sick on rides or at all for that matter, but my fiancé gets quite bad motion sickness. We've purchased some anti-nausea and travel sickness medication and also motion sickness wrist bands in hope that they'll help. Also I plan on buying some anti-viral hand sanitizers just in case. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully neither of us get sick or have any unpleasant encounters. :thumbsup2 :stitch:

I've been 10 times, and only saw someone get sick once. He was very far away from me in line for a bus.

Don't avoid rides because you are afraid you or someone will get sick. You will regret it.

Try "worst-case scenario" thinking. What is the worst that could happen? I use it to reign in my out of control thinking and it helps me. So I throw up in public? I won't die. It's a natural thing. The worst that can happen is they call an ambulance and take me to the hospital. The more likely thing is I sit on a bench and Disney cleans it up. Looking at it rationally has helped me move past my fear, especially during pregnancy.

And when you get home, start looking for help. This is NOT something you have to fight the rest if your life.

I think my main concern is the Norovirus outbreak. I will definitely take your advice. One of the main factors exciting me about the trip are the rides, I love roller-coasters and really want to go on all of the thrill rides. But I'm now having second thoughts. The thought of someone throwing up on the ride and it landing on me scares me to death. I rarely get sick on rides or at all for that matter, but my fiancé gets quite bad motion sickness. We've purchased some anti-nausea and travel sickness medication and also motion sickness wrist bands in hope that they'll help. Also I plan on buying some anti-viral hand sanitizers just in case. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully neither of us get sick or have any unpleasant encounters. :thumbsup2 :stitch:

If your biggest worry is Norovirus, then do this. Bring bleach or lysol cleaners and clean the room well. Anything that someone has touched is a potential for virus germs. DON"T PUT YOUR HANDS/FINGERS IN YOUR MOUTH! Bottom line! That is the most common way to catch it. Also if you really want to be cautious, don't get ice in your drinks unless you see the employees are wearing gloves. Ice bins are a wealth of germs and Norovirus can survive in that temp. If you follow my advice you will do everything possible you can possibly do to avoid getting sick. Go on the rides (except mission space), they are so much fun!

Hi! I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I'm recently having troubles.

Lately I've been having some episodes of heartburn/nausea, like, daily. The other day I napped and woke up with horrible heartburn. Not an hour later I was throwing up. It was horrible....very, very painful from all the acid.

Anyways, I've been having issues with nausea nearly every day since mid-February. Mostly in late afternoon/early evening...I never want to eat dinner but I usually feel better before I go to bed. In the morning I feel fine.

I'm under a fair bit of stress at the moment, but other than that, I have no explanation for this. It literally comes around almost every day like clockwork. Sometimes distracting myself (like going for a drive) helps, sometimes not.

I'm really baffled by this and it's making life difficult!

My coworkers tease me about this irrational fear. It's actually the reason that I quit nursing school. Thankfully, I have one friend who is just as afraid of vomit as I am.
I have taken extreme measures to avoid vomit. We leave on Monday, and I'm terrified that either on the plane (thunderstorms predicted) or at WDW, I'll be subjected to it. Sigh. What a way to ruin my trip.
My game plan for our flight is Dramamine and Valium. I usually have a panic attack prior to our flight, so I'm really hoping I can just mellow out and take a nap.

I'm having similar problems to the two of you. The past 5 nights or so I have had little to no sleep each night due to stomach pains and nausea. I have spent 2-4 hours each night in my bathroom shaking with fear hoping that I won't vomit. Its really affecting my sleeping pattern and my diet as I can't face food at all when feeling nauseous.

We leave on Tuesday and need to get 3 planes to Orlando (from UK) the first and last planes are only around an hour long but the middle plane is 9 hours long! I am a total germophobe too so I'm bought all sorts of anti-viral wipes and hand sanitizers. I don't personally get travel sickness to bad but my partner does so I bought him travel sickness pills (I hope they work!) and travel bands. But even with all of these precautions I don't think I can handle 9 hours of being in an enclosed space with people who could be infected with norovirus or stomach bugs. The water on the plane I heard is recycled so if myself of my partner need to use the bathroom, I fear we could be contaminated by the water when washing our hands. I am utterly terrified!

I don't know whether the two of my problems are linked and I could be having stomach troubles from the stress of thinking about the flight, who knows! All I know is that I will probably experience many anxiety attacks on the flight itself and I cannot get the thought of catching a virus on my vacation out of my head. :scared: :scared:

Update - and don't laugh too hard...

After I posted about my fear of vomit I went to bed - I have to get up between 430 and 5 for work. Around 1145 my husband gets up, freaking out about sweating profusely. I ignored him and fell back asleep....

Around 1215 he woke me up, "Babykins, cam you go get me toilet paper? I think I'm going to be sick."

Really?!?!?!?!?! Is it karma?!

Surprising,y enough, I got the toilet paper for him and didn't have a panic attack - until he got in bed with me!

"uhhhh...maybe you should sleep in the bathroom?!"

He never got sick again. Im pretty certain it was food poisoning from the chicken wings he ate last night. (from little Caesars)

He didn't feel too hot this morning, but by the afternoon he was feeling good enough to go to an interview. Hooray!!!

Not gonna lie - I'm really proud of myself!!!

Emetophobia strikes again...need help!

Anyway, I was hoping you could give me some feedback as I am super panicking and literally don't want to leave my room as pathetic as that sounds. My boyfriend and my brother went out to lunch/dinner together yesterday around 4:30 PM. Both ate the same thing. Boyfriend came back home, spent time with me, my brother then went out to eat AGAIN (unexpectedly) with his girlfriend. Brother came home a little after midnight complaining of a stomach ache, and then was in the bathroom for a while. I was panicking, as usual, but I figure that my brother has a pretty crappy stomach and that he probably drank too much (he's 20) and was trying to tell myself not to worry. Somewhere between 12:30 and 4:30 AM he began V and of course it woke me up, and I could not get back to sleep. I heard him talking to my dad and my brother swore it was something he ate...Although he did eat at 3 restaurants yesterday, I ate at one of the same restaurants as my brother as did my mom and dad, and neither of us got sick, **yet.** So, around 5 AM, I texted my boyfriend who was still over my house sleeping in another room. Because I was panicking, I texted my boyfriend saying that my brother thinks he got food poisoning and I'm panicking because I know he is getting sick a few rooms over and I can't handle it...what if it's not food poisoning but something contagious (yes, I know I sound very selfish here. But I'm TERRIFIED). My boyfriend then texts me back and says that he just got sick, V, and that he thinks it was the food that they ate at the restaurant. My boyfriend got sick a few more times (from 440 ish or so this morning). I'm sitting here panicking (and why I joined this site). Literally, there is one person "v-ing" on the first floor of my house and another on the second. I feel terrible that they are not feeling well, don't get me wrong.

So my questions for you all ... do you think the fact that my boyfriend and brother got sick within hours of each other could indicate food poisoning? Or is it more likely that they have something like noro, that is contagious? Of course, not to be TMI, my boyfriend and I were kissing last night only a few hours before his getting sick, so I'm REALLY freaking out that if it is noro I'll be next. Of course, as an emetophobe, if there was ANY indication that he was feeling stomach sick I would not have gone near him with a 10 foot pole and would have asked him to go home...hahah but I'm sure you all know the feeling and what I mean. My poor brother seems to have it REALLY bad... he does not think he's ever been this sick in his life. I did have food poisoning in college, when I was 18/19 5 or so years ago and it was HELL, so I can sympathize.

What should I do? Are there any precautions I can take if it IS norovirus? Definitely washing my hands, keeping them out of my mouth, red wet ones wipes (lol), and I'm not using either of the bathrooms or my toiletries/beauty products in them. I know this sounds extreme, but I hope you all understand. Also, am going to eat very light (if almost nothing) just in case. Ughhh.... I just heard my brother again. I think I need to leave the house for the day!!

Please, any advice, comments, or anything really would be appreciated. Just don't be mean... I can't handle any more anxiety right now hahaha.

Thank you all for reading :-)

Anyway, I was hoping you could give me some feedback as I am super panicking and literally don't want to leave my room as pathetic as that sounds. My boyfriend and my brother went out to lunch/dinner together yesterday around 4:30 PM. Both ate the same thing. Boyfriend came back home, spent time with me, my brother then went out to eat AGAIN (unexpectedly) with his girlfriend. Brother came home a little after midnight complaining of a stomach ache, and then was in the bathroom for a while. I was panicking, as usual, but I figure that my brother has a pretty crappy stomach and that he probably drank too much (he's 20) and was trying to tell myself not to worry. Somewhere between 12:30 and 4:30 AM he began V and of course it woke me up, and I could not get back to sleep. I heard him talking to my dad and my brother swore it was something he ate...Although he did eat at 3 restaurants yesterday, I ate at one of the same restaurants as my brother as did my mom and dad, and neither of us got sick, **yet.** So, around 5 AM, I texted my boyfriend who was still over my house sleeping in another room. Because I was panicking, I texted my boyfriend saying that my brother thinks he got food poisoning and I'm panicking because I know he is getting sick a few rooms over and I can't handle it...what if it's not food poisoning but something contagious (yes, I know I sound very selfish here. But I'm TERRIFIED). My boyfriend then texts me back and says that he just got sick, V, and that he thinks it was the food that they ate at the restaurant. My boyfriend got sick a few more times (from 440 ish or so this morning). I'm sitting here panicking (and why I joined this site). Literally, there is one person "v-ing" on the first floor of my house and another on the second. I feel terrible that they are not feeling well, don't get me wrong.

So my questions for you all ... do you think the fact that my boyfriend and brother got sick within hours of each other could indicate food poisoning? Or is it more likely that they have something like noro, that is contagious? Of course, not to be TMI, my boyfriend and I were kissing last night only a few hours before his getting sick, so I'm REALLY freaking out that if it is noro I'll be next. Of course, as an emetophobe, if there was ANY indication that he was feeling stomach sick I would not have gone near him with a 10 foot pole and would have asked him to go home...hahah but I'm sure you all know the feeling and what I mean. My poor brother seems to have it REALLY bad... he does not think he's ever been this sick in his life. I did have food poisoning in college, when I was 18/19 5 or so years ago and it was HELL, so I can sympathize.

What should I do? Are there any precautions I can take if it IS norovirus? Definitely washing my hands, keeping them out of my mouth, red wet ones wipes (lol), and I'm not using either of the bathrooms or my toiletries/beauty products in them. I know this sounds extreme, but I hope you all understand. Also, am going to eat very light (if almost nothing) just in case. Ughhh.... I just heard my brother again. I think I need to leave the house for the day!!

Please, any advice, comments, or anything really would be appreciated. Just don't be mean... I can't handle any more anxiety right now hahaha.

Thank you all for reading :-)

I'll start by saying I know exactly how you feel, I was the exact same way a few weeks back being absolutely terrified of catching noro on holiday, in particularly on a 9 hour flight and luckily I was fine.

You mention that you were kissing your boyfriend before he got sick? You can only catch noro through V and poop so if he hadn't V'd before hand you'll be fine. But with noro you can be contagious before symptoms occur (through poop) so as long as your boyfriend and brother washed their hands after using the restroom and before coming into contact with you, you'll also be fine.

Now to me it does sound a bit like food poisoning, or it could just be coincidental that the both got sick at the same time?

All that I can advise you to do is keep doing what you're doing, washing hands, avoiding close contact with those sick etc. And try not to worry too much, I know that its easily said than done but if you can do something to take your mind off it, the time will pass a lot faster and you can get back to normal.

I'm usually the one taking advice rather than giving it so I'm sorry if I wasn't much help.

Take care, and I hope your family feel better soon. :)

I'll start by saying I know exactly how you feel, I was the exact same way a few weeks back being absolutely terrified of catching noro on holiday, in particularly on a 9 hour flight and luckily I was fine.

You mention that you were kissing your boyfriend before he got sick? You can only catch noro through V and poop so if he hadn't V'd before hand you'll be fine. But with noro you can be contagious before symptoms occur (through poop) so as long as your boyfriend and brother washed their hands after using the restroom and before coming into contact with you, you'll also be fine.

Now to me it does sound a bit like food poisoning, or it could just be coincidental that the both got sick at the same time?

All that I can advise you to do is keep doing what you're doing, washing hands, avoiding close contact with those sick etc. And try not to worry too much, I know that its easily said than done but if you can do something to take your mind off it, the time will pass a lot faster and you can get back to normal.

I'm usually the one taking advice rather than giving it so I'm sorry if I wasn't much help.

Take care, and I hope your family feel better soon. :)

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. Here I go overanalyzing it again, but there was one other person that ate with them and ate the same thing, but didn't get sick (good for them!) so that is freaking me out that it isn't food poisoning, or that they got noro from the food itself. I'm trying so hard not to be selfish. I'm terrified to leave my room, and I didn't go to the gym this morning which I know is counter productive. I think I just need to leave the house for a little while...

Get bleach wipes and wipe everything down. You couldn't have gotten Norovirus by kissing, but you can catch it if your bf touched something that had the germs (which he probably got it that way) and then touched something you later touched.

But otherwise there is nothing you can do except avoid anything the sick boys have touched till they cleaned it.

This sounds so much like me. I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought I was the only person with this phobia. I can't be in the same house with someone who is sick without panicking, even talking about it makes me hyperventilate. I can get through everyday life as long as nobody says they have a stomachache. It's extremely hard being in college and having to hear about everyone's drunken weekends and the side effects. Luckily, I have a very supportive family and boyfriend that help me get through everything. :lovestruc

My turn to vent.......

So last Saturday we went out to a restaurant with some friends. One of the girls at my table ordered her dinner, ate, then 20 mins later she was puking up her dinner in the parking lot. While in the restaurant with us she was spitting on me while talking (hate that) and basically breathing all over me. After I knew she was getting sick in the parking lot the panic set in and my night was spent in terror. I kept trying to convince myself that she just ate way too fast because she did. She said she was starving and boy did she scarf her dinner down. The next day I texted her to see how she was and she said she spent all night in the bathroom coming out both ends. :sad1: To make a long story short.....I have not been able to eat since then ( a week later) my stomach is constantly in knots and nauseous with fear that whatever she had will hit me next. I cannot deal with this phobia anymore. It literally ruins my life and well being. :sad1: I already only weigh 110 to begin with so its not like I could use the weight loss. I just can't help it. I am a nervous wreck. I ended up taking a Lorazepam for the first time and didn't like how that made me feel at all. Kind of dizzy and loopy. Not my thing. Not sure what to do anymore. I have isolated myself from people and am turning my kids into germ phobes. This sucks!!!!!!!!!

Ugh. I feel for you, I really do. I know it sucks, I know I know I know! I know how it is on your mind 24/7 & the anxiety & panic it creates. I don't know how to make it better for you, I wish I did! I wish I could make it better for myself! I have no words of wisdom other than hang in there & I'll be thinking of you! :hug:

Hi everyone! I just came across this thread the other day and had to start subscribing. My family and friends all think I am crazy because of my huge fear of v but I can not control it.

I decided to post today because I am sitting here freaking out over what just happened when I dropped my daughter off at school. We were in the car outside and I saw a little boy start getting sick. The teacher walked him all over with it happening. He was still getting sick right outside the door to my daughter's class. The teacher knocked on the door and they led the boy thru my daughter's classroom so that her teacher could bring him to the nurse. :scared:

I of course started panicking and told my daughter that maybe she should skip today. She really wanted to go as it was the first day back from the holiday weekend. I walked her over to the class and spoke to the teacher. They said he didn't get sick in the classroom but they sprayed Lysol where he walked thru. She is in class now and thankfully it does not bother her like it does me.

I am so nervous now that we will catch whatever the boy has and will be freaking out for at least 2 days. Especially since the janitor only used water to spray down the one area. Thanks for letting me vent here. I hate feeling like this all the time. :confused3

Hi everyone! I just came across this thread the other day and had to start subscribing. My family and friends all think I am crazy because of my huge fear of v but I can not control it.

I decided to post today because I am sitting here freaking out over what just happened when I dropped my daughter off at school. We were in the car outside and I saw a little boy start getting sick. The teacher walked him all over with it happening. He was still getting sick right outside the door to my daughter's class. The teacher knocked on the door and they led the boy thru my daughter's classroom so that her teacher could bring him to the nurse. :scared:

I of course started panicking and told my daughter that maybe she should skip today. She really wanted to go as it was the first day back from the holiday weekend. I walked her over to the class and spoke to the teacher. They said he didn't get sick in the classroom but they sprayed Lysol where he walked thru. She is in class now and thankfully it does not bother her like it does me.

I am so nervous now that we will catch whatever the boy has and will be freaking out for at least 2 days. Especially since the janitor only used water to spray down the one area. Thanks for letting me vent here. I hate feeling like this all the time. :confused3

Ugh....I feel for you. I know exactly how that feels believe me. I actually have taught my kids to hold their breath and cover their nose and mouth if someone gets sick near them. There were a few times that someone got sick on the school bus and my DS told me he covered his face as he walked by. ;)
Its so hard not to project the fear of this on to them. Just my comments alone have got them paranoid now. They wash their hands so much that they bleed because of me :(

Welcome jazzyscoob!

You're not alone! We all come here to vent & share our emet anxieties & fears with others that understand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter