Epcot Nugget Of The Day

Thanks! More forced perspective nuggets: I believe the American pavilion is the only one in World showcase that uses reverse forced perspective in that, in order to seem like it's the largest of the buildings in the showcase, to seem the true centerpiece, the 3 "stories" of that building are actually oversized. The windows and door are massive. All the other pavilions are made to seem that there are more floors that there actually are, the Canadian hotel for example. The windows on it are very small to induce the forced perspective that it's truly a hotel with many floors.

No WDW buildings exceed the 200 ft limit or else they'd have to have the FAA red-flashing lights on top.

Each car at TT was designed to go 1 million miles. -Ripley's Amusement Park Oddities and Trivia by Tim O'Brien.

This was a great thread. Thank you all for so much info on Epcot. I loved reading them.

Lisa

There are many lounges located around Epcot, most reserved for employees of the attraction sponsors. Lounges are located in the following pavilions:
Test Track
Spaceship Earth
American Adventure
The Land
The Living Seas
Mission Space

The five story Goju-no-to pagoda in the Japan pavilion represents the elements from which buddhists believe all things in the universe were created: earth, water, fire, wind and sky. The spire on top is a sorin, which is composed of nine rings, each iwth its own wind chime, and topped by a water flame and a lightning rod.

Disney2056.jpg

It is inspired by the eight century pagoda of Horyuji in Nara, Japan. I think you'll see some striking similarities.

DSC00283.jpg

Forced perspective also applies to the colors things are painted. In the Imaginers field guide, several pages were dedicated to color choices. The Florida sun made colors change, depending on the time of day and on the color they are next to on the buildings. On the American adventure building there are actually 4 different shades of white on the trim in order to make you see the same color throughout the building.

The Living Seas pavilion is supposed to convey the organic feel of a huge shell, a monstrous wave, and a palisade.

Disney260.jpg

More then 30 tons of fruits and vegetables served in the WDW restaurants are grown in the land pavilion.

from the WDW trivia book

The architect of the Imagination pavilion "conceived the main theme of its pavilion as two great crystals of truncated pyramidal shape, the pyramid being a form associated with the earth and its creation".

After reading that, I didn't know what the heck it meant, so I did a little search. I'm sure we've all heard of the "circle of life", but have you heard of the "pyramid of life"? Well, the "pyramid of life" shows that all things are dependent upon photosynthesizing organisms that utilize energy from the sun.

pyramdoflife.gif

So, this is what the architect came up with:

09-11-06047.jpg

Innoventions is the evolved name for the original Communicore. Innoventions is the place in the park where the future is brought close to the guest. This exposition of new advances in techonology is hosted by Tom Morrow:

Disneyland011.jpg

Tom Morrow was originally over at the Magic Kingdom where he was the host of Mission To Mars (Where Stitch's Great Escape is now located).
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9n6owrMZ0
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhXFO-0oMYc

Tom Morrow is also mentioned in the queue for Star Tours.

The original concept for the "victory lap" at Test Track had the vehicles doing closer to 95mph (they're capable of 150 mpg), which would've increased the angle of the bank to nearly 70 degrees. However, during stops and evacuations, hanging sideways can become uncomfortable, especially for disabled guests. Therefore, the angle was decreased, and the speed slowed to 65 mph.- magicalmountain.net

So glad you activated this thread again. Let me see if i can get it started again with a bit of a nugget.

During Illumination ROE nearly 300 images flash on the LED video screen of planet earth.

I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but the ToT is painted a very similar shade to the Moroccan buildings, because you can definitely see it amid the Moroccan "skyline" and the Imagineers didn't want it to stand out.

New nugget...
When Spaceship Earth had the giant hand and wand on it, it was the highest point in any of the theme parks and had to have a red beacon on top for aircraft to see, because it was over 200 feet tall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter