Europe/Mediterranean with Kids?

We're doing a Baltic cruise next summer, when DS will be 8. I'm confident he'll have a blast. We're holding off on the Med until he discovers Rick Riordan or at least Bullfinch's.
We did a Baltic a few years ago with our girls....the best day (they still talk about it) was Tivoli Gardens----don't miss this! This was the highlight of their trip!

We did a Baltic a few years ago with our girls....the best day (they still talk about it) was Tivoli Gardens----don't miss this! This was the highlight of their trip!

Oh absolutely! I've even already been there myself. We're sailing out of Copenhagen and will come in a day or two early.

Obviously it depends on the kids, but I'd like some feedback from folks that did this. Ours will be 12 and 9. I (briefly, admittedly) looked at the excursions and am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much geared towards the kids, especially in light of the fact that it's Disney. Combine it with the fact that most of the attractions are far from the ports, (so long travel times on land), I'm wondering how others fared. Thanks.

I just want to add one more perspective. When our kids were the age of your kids, we thought they were too young to go to Europe, and that we would "wait" until High School when they could appreciate it more. Now they are in High School, and indeed they are going to Europe, and they will appreciate it more fully. But they are going with a school group, which means their mother and I will NOT be there to enjoy it with them. Don't get me wrong. I am THRILLED that they are doing this, and one of the reasons we went for it was to give them that experience of traveling "alone" (with 3 teachers from the school and a tour guide group, but they will have some time on their own in several cities).

However, if I could talk to me back when my kids were younger, I would say, "DON'T WAIT!" Do whatever trips you want to (and can afford) with your kids, NOW! They may not get as much out of it as they would when they are older, but they will get a lot out of it, and different things out of it, and you will be there with them to enjoy it with them. So personally, even if I didn't do a big excursion at every port, it would still be a great trip, and I would be glad we didn't wait.

Great post! I grew up camping with my family and a highlight was when we got to stay at a motel with a pool when my dad had a bowling tournament. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon in Hawaii we bought a timeshare through timeshare resale (don't pay retail). We regularly traveled to Hawaii before we had kids and I was concerned that once we had kids we may not bring them with us regularly. I was afraid of spoiling them and thinking that travel to Hawaii was "normal". We also fell in love with Ixtapa, Mexico prior to having kids and added this location into our regular travel. We were there with our son when he was two and a man approached us and said that watching us and our son reminded him of traveling with their kids when they were young. They were now grown and out of the house, and it was so nice to remember their time traveling as a family. I mentioned my thoughts about not bringing kids when they got a little older to not "spoil" them. He said that he did not believe you could spoil your kids with travel. I am so happy I let that sink in and we have continued to travel to Ixtapa and Hawaii with our kids when we go. We also took a chance on a Disney cruise when our DD was 3 months and our son had just turned 7. We have enjoyed taking our kids to every continent except for Australia and Antarctica with Disney. We have visited many countries in the Med, Baltic region, Scandinavia, the UK, Alaska,the Bahamas and Caribbean all because of Disney. Our daughter is only 7 and has been on eight cruises. With our son now in High School we are spreading out our cruises to every other year since we have to travel only in peak season. I am so thankful for the memories we have shared and to get to experience these places through their eyes. My dream when I was a kid was to go to as many places in the world as I could. To get to do this and do it with my kids has been amazing!

Great post! I grew up camping with my family and a highlight was when we got to stay at a motel with a pool when my dad had a bowling tournament. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon in Hawaii we bought a timeshare through timeshare resale (don't pay retail). We regularly traveled to Hawaii before we had kids and I was concerned that once we had kids we may not bring them with us regularly. I was afraid of spoiling them and thinking that travel to Hawaii was "normal". We also fell in love with Ixtapa, Mexico prior to having kids and added this location into our regular travel. We were there with our son when he was two and a man approached us and said that watching us and our son reminded him of traveling with their kids when they were young. They were now grown and out of the house, and it was so nice to remember their time traveling as a family. I mentioned my thoughts about not bringing kids when they got a little older to not "spoil" them. He said that he did not believe you could spoil your kids with travel. I am so happy I let that sink in and we have continued to travel to Ixtapa and Hawaii with our kids when we go. We also took a chance on a Disney cruise when our DD was 3 months and our son had just turned 7. We have enjoyed taking our kids to every continent except for Australia and Antarctica with Disney. We have visited many countries in the Med, Baltic region, Scandinavia, the UK, Alaska,the Bahamas and Caribbean all because of Disney. Our daughter is only 7 and has been on eight cruises. With our son now in High School we are spreading out our cruises to every other year since we have to travel only in peak season. I am so thankful for the memories we have shared and to get to experience these places through their eyes. My dream when I was a kid was to go to as many places in the world as I could. To get to do this and do it with my kids has been amazing!

I love this. I feel the same way. Travel is, of course, a privilege and I know that it has made my kids more appreciative of the things they have and can do. It has also made them aware that other cultures and countries have much to offer. My youngest DS and my niece both want to live abroad because of travel.

This! Over and over this! The earlier trips are simply scaffolding experiences for school trips later...family memories are different ones than school trip memories. They may see some of the same sites, but totally different experiences.

I just want to add one more perspective. When our kids were the age of your kids, we thought they were too young to go to Europe, and that we would "wait" until High School when they could appreciate it more. Now they are in High School, and indeed they are going to Europe, and they will appreciate it more fully. But they are going with a school group, which means their mother and I will NOT be there to enjoy it with them. Don't get me wrong. I am THRILLED that they are doing this, and one of the reasons we went for it was to give them that experience of traveling "alone" (with 3 teachers from the school and a tour guide group, but they will have some time on their own in several cities).

However, if I could talk to me back when my kids were younger, I would say, "DON'T WAIT!" Do whatever trips you want to (and can afford) with your kids, NOW! They may not get as much out of it as they would when they are older, but they will get a lot out of it, and different things out of it, and you will be there with them to enjoy it with them. So personally, even if I didn't do a big excursion at every port, it would still be a great trip, and I would be glad we didn't wait.

Yes! I have family members and others that say, well you could do this to your house or you could do whatever instead of all the trips you take. I always tell them the house will still be there in x amount of years. I only have so many years to enjoy this time with my child. So, I choose to spend my time and money travelling and making memories with her.

tlprice, I agree with you so much! I have thought of the same alternatives regarding how to use my money and decided that the memories from traveling will be worth so much more than updating my house, etc! They grow up so quickly!!

tlprice, I agree with you so much! I have thought of the same alternatives regarding how to use my money and decided that the memories from traveling will be worth so much more than updating my house, etc! They grow up so quickly!!
Looks like we have similar trips planned too: great minds thinking alike!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter