Europe Travel with a wheelchair

mydisneyanytime

Mouseketeer
We are headed to Europe for a little over 2 weeks in June/July. I know that it is a busy time but it is the only time that we could go!

We have never been to Europe and trying to plan is a little daunting especially with a wheelchair! My son can walk very short distances but no stairs. I can carry him is needed but he is about 60 pounds so I can't carry him for long!

We are starting in Munich going to Paris/DLP then London. If anyone has any suggestions for visiting museums with a wheelchair, best places to stay that are in a safe area but won't break the bank (3 females and my son), or general suggestions, that would be great! I have looked at hundreds of of travel blogs and sites but adding in the wheelchair seems to make a huge difference!

Thanks in advance! We are so excited!

For hotels you should contact them direct and ask about accessible rooms.

At your hotel ask for the number of a local taxi company, so that you can pre book accessible taxis.

In London , the famous Black Cabs are wheelchair accessible, and so are the buses. The tubes can be hit or miss, some do not have step free access or elevators between platforms or street level.

What kind of wheelchair is it? Many of the sidewalks are narrow and uneven surfaces.

In Disneyland Paris you should be fine, but again research accessible rooms.

How are you travelling between the various places?

Transportation hasn't been figured out yet - hopefully train of some sort. It is a folding wheelchair but I have to take it apart to get it to fold.

First off your son's wheelchair should go FREE on the plane .... but will be put into hold on plane.

After checking in you should ask for Assistance with going through Security & onto departure gate &

onto airbridge . As you enter the plane the wheelchair ( your son's ) will be carried down to be put into luggage hold

Make sure that you have stuck your Own Mark somewhere on it just incase the Luggage tag tears off

At Munich ask for the same assistance as you leave the plane ......... there are short cuts that the assistants

know that avoid crowds .

DO arrange this for your Return journey ....... It should be Free ( All your Party will be together all the time )

Hotels Look up Hotels on GOOGLE EARTH & try and book 1/2 Board ( Dinner , Bed & breakfast )

Phone the hotels Direct ( Germany is 00 49 ... France is 0033 U.K is 0044 )

Hope this helps

Most hotel reception people will speak english .

As will many other people at ticket counters .... trains may have ramps available

Just remember U.K has Sterling money while Germany & France has Euros

Your ATM cards will work in Europe if you have chip & Pin .

Your Credit CARDS will be needed at hotels & should have chip & pin as well

MOST places have done away with " Signatures " for buying things

FOR Charging stuff you need a 2 pin round plug for Europe & a 3 pin Flat plug for U.K.

Do not forget Travel Insurance ...... you never know

You do need Passports so apply for them soon

Eurostar between Disney and London is fab with a wheelchair and dlp is really easy. We hired a hoist there and other equipment locally as well as shipping food to the hotel and it couldn't have gone smoother.

Can answer all sorts of questions about wheelchair access in London (and fun things to do with kids in general) but not much use in other cities. Buses are accessible and the tube is getting better and better. Central and jubilee lines have a decent number of central stations with access which opens up places further out of town in residential areas like premier inn's in Wembley or travelodges in Northolt, if you're on a budget. You may prefer to stay more centrally though and be within walking distance of attractions.

Let me know what sort of museums interest you and hopefully I can advise on access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!