EVC and Rental Car?

pmdeve

DIS Veteran
When we are at Disney I rent a EVC from Buena Vista. We usually stay on Disney Property and use the busses. This time, we are flying down and staying off site. I need to rent a car at the airport, but I don't know what size car I need. Any help will be appreciated.

I would talk to the place you are renting your ECV most can be broken down in a few pieces and put in the trunk of a car with this said it would take up most of the space, you might get a few small bags with an ECV. I would think it would depend on how many people you have and how many bags you have, if it is two people with bags that can go in the back set and the ECV could be in the trunk ( I think any thing would work) if you have a few people you might have to go with a van, or SUV

We always rent a minivan or at least a mid size SUV. IMHO the van is a better choice since the "deck" is lower and you don't have to lift the pieces quite so high. When you get the ECV delivered have them show you how it breaks down. Each model is a bit different.

Make sure you request an ECV that can be broken down. Not all of them can.

I usually rent the cheapest compact car. I've transported an ECV in one of those - but it was just me. My DH and I are renting a car in California in October and will be transporting my personal ECV. I'm not really worried about size.

I have a prius, I can fit two scooters (taken apart) in my vehicle. And I can also fit a person in the backseat at the same time. I think one scooter would have no problem fitting in most any trunk.

This does depend somewhat on the size, kind and weight of the scooter you get. We prefer 4 wheel scooters and they do take up a little more space.

Some people can do a scooter in and out of a car on their own while others have to have help. If it's one person doing it then I would go with an SUV or van for sure.

If it's one person doing it then I would go with an SUV or van for sure.
If it's an ECV that breaks down into multiple pieces for transport just about any vehicle will do. If I am transporting my 4 wheel ECV by myself I take it apart and can easily put the pieces in my Toyota Matrix (small car). It's actually easier for me to lift the pieces into a car than an SUV because the SUV is higher up.

If I am with my husband he prefers to just load it in all in one piece (94 pounds) and that does require our van.

I think everyone is different on this one. My husband and I have a terrible time getting a scooter out of a deep trunk even if it's broken down. The base piece is awkward for us. We can do it, but it's time consuming and very tiring for us. We've done it as a two some all the time. We are on the shorter side which may be why it's harder for us. I will say if you can get by with one of the smallest portable scooters it is easier. Scooters are weight dependent and some scooters are only good for people under 200 pounds. If above that weight limit then you get a slightly bigger and heavier scooter which is harder to get in and out of a trunk.

If you have a local scooter company you can go look at the portable scooters and most of the time they will teach you how to break it apart and they will let you put it in and out of your car trunk. This way you can get a feel for the situation. Considering you may buy a scooter in the future I don't feel bad using up the store's time for this purpose. The Pride to Go is a popular scooter model that's sold and rented.

My husband and I have a terrible time getting a scooter out of a deep trunk even if it's broken down
yup - us too. Which is why we pop for the more expensive mini van. Much easier to lift the pieces in and out (especially since the scooters we rent are for a higher weight limit and extended range). Well worth the extra $$ for us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts