ever used a papoose board at the dentist...?

how do you deal with Behavior issuses at the dentists.......? share how you handle it...? do they use sedation or gas...? is a papoose boad used..? are they sedated...?

how do you deal with Behavior issuses at the dentists.......? share how you handle it...? do they use sedation or gas...? is a papoose boad used..? are they sedated...?
I moved this thread to the disABILITIES Community Board since it's not a question about Disney World

When it comes to dentists and patients especially special needs patients it is becoming very hard to find dentists who are specialized in special needs patients and I think there should be more dentists that are specially designed for patients with disabilities. Because any time you look for a dentist that specializes in special needs and you go to any dentist they refuse to see special needs patients because they are difficult to work with and with special needs children you can easily go to a dentist that works with special needs children. But what I find odd is that when you have a special needs child or adult it is very hard for them to take dental x-rays and if you go to the dentist with a special needs child it is a challenge because I have noticed that dentists are now taking digital dental x-rays which include having the special needs child having to hold still and holding their mouth open for the dentist to take the x-ray the child ends up gagging and getting sick and I do not see how these digital dental x-rays work for special needs children or adults. I have seen the restraining blanket technique at dentists and I believe it's called the Papusa process and I think it was made mainly for special needs adults and children to keep them still in the dentist's chair but to me I think it is scary for children and when the children are finished at the dentist they end up crying because of the restraining blanket and it makes them scared of dental visits. Another thing that dentists do with special needs children and adults that people have to be very careful of when they handle special needs children or adults is to carefully inspect the child or adult for any injuries after each dental visit. Because there are times that a child will end up with a twisted ankle or a broken leg or a hurt back or broken arms. Especially patients that are wheelchair bound the parents should put the patient in the wheelchair themselves and check the child very carefully for any injuries that may have occurred during the dental visit. But there should be more dentists for special needs patients that can handle the job successfully

Digital X Rays are easy to share with insurance companies and other dentists.

There are patients without special needs who have a big fear of dentists. Look for dentists who seem to work well with "scaredy cat" patients. Talk to them. Let them, not internet posters, make suggestions.

$$$ is a factor. Insurance typically has deductibles, coinsurance and annual maximums. Sedation might not be covered.

Another thing that dentists do with special needs children and adults that people have to be very careful of when they handle special needs children or adults is to carefully inspect the child or adult for any injuries after each dental visit. Because there are times that a child will end up with a twisted ankle or a broken leg or a hurt back or broken arms. Especially patients that are wheelchair bound the parents should put the patient in the wheelchair themselves and check the child very carefully for any injuries that may have occurred during the dental visit. But there should be more dentists for special needs patients that can handle the job successfully
Where did you find this information?

That poster shares her experiences from her point of view. Her POV and/understanding of a situation may not be the same as yours. No need to be rude.

That poster shares her experiences from her point of view. Her POV and/understanding of a situation may not be the same as yours. No need to be rude.
Not being rude but it would be interesting to know where the information is from as the whole passage is written in completely different style to the poster’s usual manner. It looks as if it were cut and pasted from another site IMO.

I was just asking for the evidence to back up the claims - broken legs at the dentist?
I thought the reason for checking for injuries such as broken legs just prior to leaving is to protect the dentist against claims from injuries suffered after the patient left the office. Of course it would also ensure treatment is promptly given for any inadvertent injuries that may have occurred during the appointment.

I don't have real knowledge, just assumptions. FWIW, YMMV

OP, I would ask around the special needs community in your area to find a dentist who is special needs friendly. This is how I found my dd's wonderful dentist, after we were 'exit-ed' from another dentist. I drive an hour to this dentist and it's totally worth it.

We have gone from the dentist/hygenists working on dd with her standing (and squawking), to me laying in the chair and dd laying on me (like the papoose board, except I'm the board), to dd calmly walking in and getting into the chair!

When we first started there, she had work needed and we sedated for that. Haven't needed any since so I'm not sure how we'd handle that, I assume we'd try gas first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter