Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I seen the promo code with Uber for $15 off of your first ride and thought that we could apply that on one of our legs of our trip to Typhoon Lagoon next month. But since it was for your first ride I would have to get my husband to sign up with Uber, download the app, ect, since I already have the app and have used Uber several times, or so I thought.

I went onto my Uber app and look under my trips and there where none. What? So I went back and got the $15 off your first ride and was able to apply it to my account???? So could it be that I have a different phone and different phone number since I last used Uber? And I want to make sure the drivers get paid with these discount, free ride promos. That is very important to me. Thanks!

And I want to make sure the drivers get paid with these discount, free ride promos. That is very important to me. Thanks!
Yes, except for any tip you leave in the app, what the driver gets is now completely decoupled from what the rider pays. It's purely based on actual distance, duration, tolls, and any surge factor that may be in effect.

And I want to make sure the drivers get paid with these discount, free ride promos. That is very important to me. Thanks!
Yes, as Joel said, the driver's pay doesn't change just because you use some kind of promotion. And thanks for looking out for us!

Yes, except for any tip you leave in the app, what the driver gets is now completely decoupled from what the rider pays. It's purely based on actual distance, duration, tolls, and any surge factor that may be in effect.
Ok, so I can now tip with the Uber app instead of cash? Or is cash better?

Ok, so I can now tip with the Uber app instead of cash? Or is cash better?
Yes, you can tip in the app with Uber -- since last summer, actually. The driver gets the full amount of the tip. If you tip in the app, the tip will show as a separate item on your email receipt from Uber so that you can see the full amount going to the driver.

I personally prefer to tip drivers in cash because that way they know that I appreciated their service, and they get the money right away. Tipping in cash is also almost a guaranteed 5-star rider rating from that driver. If your rider rating ever drops significantly, cash tipping is a sure way to get it back up.

When you tip in the app, the driver gets paid with their regular weekly pay deposit which could be several days.

Yes, you can tip in the app with Uber -- since last summer, actually. The driver gets the full amount of the tip. If you tip in the app, the tip will show as a separate item on your email receipt from Uber so that you can see the full amount going to the driver.

I personally prefer to tip drivers in cash because that way they know that I appreciated their service, and they get the money right away. Tipping in cash is also almost a guaranteed 5-star rider rating from that driver. If your rider rating ever drops significantly, cash tipping is a sure way to get it back up.

When you tip in the app, the driver gets paid with their regular weekly pay deposit which could be several days.
Is the driver notified right away of the tip amount?

Is the driver notified right away of the tip amount?
No. Not right away, and sometimes there can be a lag of several days.

One obvious reason is that the rider must rate the driver first before getting the tip screen. Fewer than 50% of riders rate their rides, so many don't even see the tip option on the app at all.

Even if they do rate and tip in the app, there may be some time lag before the driver can tell. I've had riders ask me to show them how to do the tip in the app, I watched them leave a tip, and I still didn't see it in my trip revenue for hours. I think that particular issue is caused by the tips being accounted for separately from other trip revenue.

Another reason is that the rider doesn't tip in the app, but tips via their email receipt, which also contains a link to add a tip. That might happen several days later.

One important clarification. The info I posted above regarding Uber is correct, but for LYFT customers tipping in cash is much, much better than tipping in the app. With Lyft, if you tip in the app, you may actually hurt the driver if they are working on some kind of driver promotion.

Lyft runs driver promotions saying if a driver does a certain number of drives, they are guaranteed a certain amount of income. One problem with that is that Lyft is talking about GROSS ride income. The way the guarantee works is that Lyft pays the driver the difference between the guarantee and the driver's actual earnings.

But the catch is, Lyft counts all in-app tips as ride income. There is nothing devious going on; this policy is clearly spelled out in the guarantee details...but drivers often don't read the fine print.

Here's what happens. Say a driver is "guaranteed" $100 in revenue if they do a certain number of rides. They do the rides, but they only earn $50 in fares and $20 in tips. To the inexperienced driver who didn't read the details, Lyft owes them $50. But Lyft's math is different, and they actually only owe the driver $75-$80 net. And they count the tips. So if Lyft calculates they owe the driver $75...the driver already got $70, so Lyft only pays the driver $5. The $20 in tips just became $0. It went to Lyft, not the driver.

So...LYFT riders -- please tip your drivers in cash!

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked (I didn't make it thru 100 pages of replies) - but can I get an Uber from AKL to CR if I want to watch the fireworks from the DVC balcony? I'm a DVC member.....

It’s about a $20-$25 Uber ride from AKL to CR, and much easier than the bus. The DVC balcony is in Bay Lake Tower next door, if you weren’t aware. They could drop you off there, but the buildings are super close if they don’t.

That also makes it about the same price as a Minnie Van, which is more fun, but we found those hard to get.

It’s about a $20-$25 Uber ride from AKL to CR, and much easier than the bus. The DVC balcony is in Bay Lake Tower next door, if you weren’t aware. They could drop you off there, but the buildings are super close if they don’t.

That also makes it about the same price as a Minnie Van, which is more fun, but we found those hard to get.
AKL to BLT is about $12 for UberX, $19 for XL if they have 5 or 6 people. MV is $25 and carries up to 6.

You don't think it's risky for drivers to be known to have a significant amount of cash on them?

You don't think it's risky for drivers to be known to have a significant amount of cash on them?
ROFL! NO! :rotfl2:

I can assure you that Uber and Lyft drivers are in no danger of accumulating a "significant amount of cash" from tips! The vast majority of the revenue is from fares, and all that goes through the app on your credit card. We rarely get large tips, and most of us don't carry much cash.

The risk for Uber/Lyft drivers is not money -- but our cars. Nobody wants to steal a cab, but a lot of us are driving around in pretty expensive cars and that can make us targets for car-jackings.

We just had a car-jacking attempt on a Lyft driver in Miami last week. The Lyft driver was just plain stupid and was lucky to escape with only minor injuries. Hopefully he learned a lesson. Last year an Uber driver shot and killed a car-jacker. He probably saved his rider's life and his own, but of course he was "deactivated" by Uber for having a gun.

AKL to BLT is about $12 for UberX, $19 for XL if they have 5 or 6 people. MV is $25 and carries up to 6.

I think we were hit with surge pricing with our Uber to get those rates with a regular UberX. It was on the way back from CR after wishes, which is around when the poster would be going back as well.

I have never used Uber or Lyft, but plan on doing so to get around a few places next month. What is the normal tip amount? A %? flat rate? "We" are a family of 4 which will use regular Uber or Lyft with no luggage.

Thanks!

I have never used Uber or Lyft, but plan on doing so to get around a few places next month. What is the normal tip amount? A %? flat rate? "We" are a family of 4 which will use regular Uber or Lyft with no luggage.

Thanks!

I usually tip $4-$5 per ride.

Thanks!
I generally agree with FCDub above. I usually tip $5 for X and $10 for XL, but my XL trips are long airport runs with luggage ($40-$50 fares). On one ride I arranged for an organization, I tipped $10 for X, but it was a 50 mile drive to Ft Lauderdale airport, and I knew it was taking the driver away from her home area.

You'll have several options for tipping in the app. I've never tipped in the app with Lyft, but I think they give some options ($1, $3, $5 maybe?). Most of the tips I get from Lyft are $1 or $3.

Uber gives options like that which vary with the amount of the fare, or you can enter a specific amount. In my market (Miami/South Florida), Uber also offers the option of tipping a percentage in-app. I believe the options are 15%, 20%, and 25%. I've gotten some weird tip amounts, but when I researched them I realized they were 20% or 25% of what the rider had paid.

As I said above, I almost always tip in cash to let the driver know I appreciated their service.

Last edited:
2 questions...
1. Where can I view my rider rating?
2. Staying at Windsor Hills and need to get groceries, planning to go to the new Walmart across the street. Using their service where all I have to do is pick up the groceries, not shop. Can the driver stay and wait or do I need to call a new driver? How do I pay for both rides?

2 questions...
2. Staying at Windsor Hills and need to get groceries, planning to go to the new Walmart across the street. Using their service where all I have to do is pick up the groceries, not shop. Can the driver stay and wait or do I need to call a new driver? How do I pay for both rides?

You can ask, but I personally wouldn't make someone wait. In terms of "how do I pay for both rides?" ... one ride would end, and your card would be charged. Then, you'd call a second car when you're ready to leave Walmart and go back to your house. That ride would end, and your card would be charged.

It might be cheaper to get your groceries delivered. Price it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter