Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I'm not really following your advice. It sounds like you're directing PP how to get an Uber when s/he's already at the BW or how to get out of a BW-area hotel to the BW itself.
I think Best Aunt is trying to do exactly that, just in case PP doesn't know that it's possible to go to BW and just walk through the lobby to the Boardwalk. Very helpful info.

Are there any maps of Uber pick up locations for the Parks and Disney Springs? My understanding is that there are no pick ups at Magic Kingdom. ( only heading to Ticket Transportation Center for Uber there). If going to a Boardwalk location, would it be more feasible to take monorail to Epcot and then get Uber? Or head to a resort on the monorail & get an Uber back to the Boardwalk there? We have a really tight schedule between our last fastpass and our meal in the Boardwalk area. Buses would probably take too long. What's your advice?
Are you going from MK to a Boardwalk resort? Faster would probably be to just take the direct bus.

Are you going from MK to a Boardwalk resort? Faster would probably be to just take the direct bus.
No. Eating lunch over there in the afternoon. Not sure, if those buses also stop at the Yacht and Beach Club & how quick they are. When we stayed at the Yacht Club previously, the buses weren't frequent and made extra stops.

I think this is what PP is trying to figure out how to do.

I'm not really following your advice. It sounds like you're directing PP how to get an Uber when s/he's already at the BW or how to get out of a BW-area hotel to the BW itself. I think PP is trying to figure out how to get to a BW hotel when s/he's at another park (needs to make an ADR at a BW-area hotel and looking for specifics on Uber pick-up areas in DS and the parks).
I'm trying to get out of Magic Kingdom and go to lunch on the Boardwalk. Sorry I wasn't clear about my intentions.

If you want to use Uber and are going to or from a BoardWalk location, why wouldn't you Uber to or from the BoardWalk hotel?

If you arrive at the hotel and need to get out to the BoardWalk: walk into the hotel, through the lobby and out the back door to take the stairs down to the BoardWalk. (If you need an elevator, it is past the check-in desk.)

If you are on the BoardWalk: walk up the big stairs to get into the hotel. Walk through the lobby and out the front door. Request an Uber from there. (If you need an elevator: when you are facing the big stairs, there is a path to the right. Follow it and it will take you to a hotel entrance where you can get an elevator to the lobby floor.)
Thanks Best Aunt! I appreciate your response. I wasn't very clear about my intentions. (Woke up way too early and couldn't fall back asleep before I made the fastpasses yesterday). Lol I'm trying to get back to the Boardwalk for lunch from the Magic Kingdom. So sorry about the confusion.:hyper2:

I'm trying to get out of Magic Kingdom and go to lunch on the Boardwalk. Sorry I wasn't clear about my intentions.

Ok, so I would walk from Magic Kingdom to Contemporary. When you get to the Contemporary, I believe you enter through a side door. Walk straight ahead, and the hotel's main door will be on your right. Go out that door and request an Uber/Lyft to take you to the BoardWalk hotel.

My previous instructions told you what to do when you get out of the Uber/Lyft at the BoardWalk hotel.

No. Eating lunch over there in the afternoon. Not sure, if those buses also stop at the Yacht and Beach Club & how quick they are. When we stayed at the Yacht Club previously, the buses weren't frequent and made extra stops.
I think there's one bus for BC/YC, one for Boardwalk, one for Dolphin/Swan. All buses run with the same frequency - about every 20 minutes. It just seems, to me, that any time saved would be wiped out with the walk, then the (even minimal) wait for the rideshare once you are at the pickup point and have requested it.

I think there's one bus for BC/YC, one for Boardwalk, one for Dolphin/Swan. All buses run with the same frequency - about every 20 minutes. It just seems, to me, that any time saved would be wiped out with the walk, then the (even minimal) wait for the rideshare once you are at the pickup point and have requested it.

I can’t say that you’re wrong, but walking and then ubering would make me feel like I was taking control. You can see when the uber supposedly will arrive. A bus can arrive right away... or you can wait a long time, and you never know which it will be.

We will be visiting from Christmas to New Year's. I know it will be insanely crowded, so I was hoping to use Uber/Lyft to help my family get around faster. Do you think I will have difficulty finding available rides at this busy time of year? Thank you.

We will be visiting from Christmas to New Year's. I know it will be insanely crowded, so I was hoping to use Uber/Lyft to help my family get around faster. Do you think I will have difficulty finding available rides at this busy time of year? Thank you.

You shouldn't, no.

NO. There will be plenty of cars available. Busy times are good times for drivers, and the pool of drivers expands tremendously during peak times.

Some drivers who drive only occasionally will be working. A LOT of drivers are retired or semi-retired (like Joel and I) and they pick and choose the times they drive. For example, summers are slow in Miami and I've only driven one week all summer. I was going to start back in October, but I will probably wait until November when it really starts to pick up.

Yesterday (Oct. 7, 2018) I was in the lobby of All Star Music Resort getting ready to call a Lyft driver when a man approached us. He asked if I was calling a car and I said yes. He said he drove the same routes and would be happy to take me....for cash. I told him 'no thanks' and he said 'ok' and went back to his perch by the front door.

In the car (that we called) I tried to ask the driver about this but he didn't understand English well and couldn't really comment on the situation. Just wondering if I should have alerted a cast member or if drivers are allowed to operate from lobbies that way? There is a sign on the parking lot security station that says "no solicitation" so I'm guessing he shouldn't have been there.

Yesterday (Oct. 7, 2018) I was in the lobby of All Star Music Resort getting ready to call a Lyft driver when a man approached us. He asked if I was calling a car and I said yes. He said he drove the same routes and would be happy to take me....for cash. I told him 'no thanks' and he said 'ok' and went back to his perch by the front door.

In the car (that we called) I tried to ask the driver about this but he didn't understand English well and couldn't really comment on the situation. Just wondering if I should have alerted a cast member or if drivers are allowed to operate from lobbies that way? There is a sign on the parking lot security station that says "no solicitation" so I'm guessing he shouldn't have been there.
OMG, no! Good job being savvy enough not to fall for his solicitation.

If it happens again, definitely notify someone. "Cash" rides are a criminal offense under Florida law unless the driver is a licensed taxi or limousine driver with commercial for-hire insurance and all applicable local permits. Rideshare drivers are NOT allowed to do cash rides...by law.

Most likely, the driver formerly drove for one of the rideshare companies but was terminated for some reason. You have no idea who the guy is, and your ride would be totally uninsured.

OMG, no! Good job being savvy enough not to fall for his solicitation.

If it happens again, definitely notify someone. "Cash" rides are a criminal offense under Florida law unless the driver is a licensed taxi or limousine driver with commercial for-hire insurance and all applicable local permits. Rideshare drivers are NOT allowed to do cash rides...by law.

Most likely, the driver formerly drove for one of the rideshare companies but was terminated for some reason. You have no idea who the guy is, and your ride would be totally uninsured.

Thanks for the information; it's good to know. It never occurred to me about insurance or him breaking license laws. I just knew my teenage daughter and I were not getting into a car offered by a stranger who approached us in a hotel lobby.

So, I just received an email from UBER offering me the opportunity to purchase a "ride Pass" for $14.99 that's supposed to save me money by guaranteeing me a lower price for rides during peak times.
This "Ride Pass" is described as "price protection. The pass is good for 28 days once you purchase it.

Is this for real???

So, I just received an email from UBER offering me the opportunity to purchase a "ride Pass" for $14.99 that's supposed to save me money by guaranteeing me a lower price for rides during peak times.
This "Ride Pass" is described as "price protection. The pass is good for 28 days once you purchase it.

Is this for real???
Yes, it is for real -- BUT, be sure you read the fine print. It may only apply to your home market. It is usually used by people who commute on the same route often going back and forth to work.

Yes, it is for real -- BUT, be sure you read the fine print. It may only apply to your home market. It is usually used by people who commute on the same route often going back and forth to work.

Yes, it specifically states it applies to the Orlando area for the 28 days. Since I will only be in the Orlando area for 6 days I don't think it's worth $14.99 to me.

Yes, it specifically states it applies to the Orlando area for the 28 days. Since I will only be in the Orlando area for 6 days I don't think it's worth $14.99 to me.
Right. You get nothing for that $15 except the discounts on future rides within the timeframe. It's a legit offer, but would be a lot better deal for a WDW CM who used Uber a lot.

Right. You get nothing for that $15 except the discounts on future rides within the timeframe. It's a legit offer, but would be a lot better deal for a WDW CM who used Uber a lot.

Yes your right. What's interesting is about an hour ago I received an email from Lyft telling me I have a five star rating and I get 10% off rides until 10/23. I only use UBER and Lyft when visiting Disney and during my last visit I used Lyft since I had a promotion code. I used Lyft for 5 rides and had problems with 3 of the rides. I wasn't planning on using them again. Seems like quite a coincidence that I got these emails a few days before my next trip.

Yes your right. What's interesting is about an hour ago I received an email from Lyft telling me I have a five star rating and I get 10% off rides until 10/23. I only use UBER and Lyft when visiting Disney and during my last visit I used Lyft since I had a promotion code. I used Lyft for 5 rides and had problems with 3 of the rides. I wasn't planning on using them again. Seems like quite a coincidence that I got these emails a few days before my next trip.
Because of the partnership with Disney on MinnieVan, Lyft may get notifications of upcoming bookings at WDW resorts. That would allow them to offer promotions which might benefit both them and MinnieVan, and would make perfect sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts