Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

quick question,I've lost track of what's going on for Uber..... is tipping expected? I've used the service once or twice, but didn't realize we were supposed to rate the driver after....and I had thought it wasn;t a tipping thing? or is it? and it needs to be a cash tip,or on the cc at time of payment? thanks I plan to use it in a couple of weeks,and want to get it right this time (I saw that episode of Life in Pieces lol)
Tipping in the Uber app has been available for several months. You have to have the latest update to the rider app, and you have to rate the driver before you can tip. The tip will show as a separate charge to your credit card, and will be included in your email receipt from Uber. Tipping is optional, but always appreciated.

In their early days, Uber used to advertise that a tip was "included," but that was never true. The Federal Trade Commission finally stepped in and prohibited the "tip included" claim as false advertising.

You can also tip in cash if you prefer with either Uber or Lyft.

Neither company takes a "cut" of your in-app tip -- except for one weird situation with Lyft that you will probably never encounter.

Last edited:
I don't even know of a way to request a ride via the app and NOT pay.
The driver has the option of "Cancel -- Do Not Charge Rider.' It's usually used right at the beginning of a ride when someone has made a mistake and the driver doesn't want to charge the customer.
I'd have all kinds of issues with them coming back later, for safety if nothing else. It NEEDS to be reported to Uber. Period. For the safety of everyone else using the service out there.
Yep.

Thanks for the responses. I figured it was against UBER's terms of service, but I didn't think it was illegal. I think my co-worker just wanted to get rid of the guy, so she didn't get his info. I'll make sure to let her know if it happens again.

Thanks for the responses. I figured it was against UBER's terms of service, but I didn't think it was illegal. I think my co-worker just wanted to get rid of the guy, so she didn't get his info. I'll make sure to let her know if it happens again.
Her DD may still have the info on her ride history. No idea what happens if a ride is cancelled. She should check it.

Her DD may still have the info on her ride history. No idea what happens if a ride is cancelled. She should check it.
She could track it down if she wanted to. The canceled ride might not show up, but if she gives Uber the date, approximate time, and pickup address they can find it.

She should certainly check her ride/payment history to see if it's there. If the guy is that sleazy, it wouldn't surprise me if he charged her a cancellation fee (or even the full fare) in addition to getting cash.

If she wants to pursue it (and I personally doubt that she does), she should contact Uber's Critical Safety Response Team.

However, there is obviously a lot about this ride that Clare Voince doesn't know, and probably some things the Mom doesn't know. The whole story just makes no sense.

She could track it down if she wanted to. The canceled ride might not show up, but if she gives Uber the date, approximate time, and pickup address they can find it.

She should certainly check her ride/payment history to see if it's there. If the guy is that sleazy, it wouldn't surprise me if he charged her a cancellation fee (or even the full fare) in addition to getting cash.

If she wants to pursue it (and I personally doubt that she does), she should contact Uber's Critical Safety Response Team.

However, there is obviously a lot about this ride that Clare Voince doesn't know, and probably some things the Mom doesn't know. The whole story just makes no sense.
That seems to be a very good possibility indeed.
I can say without question that if I ever had a driver appear at my door unrequested FOR ANY REASON AT ALL, someone at Uber would know about it. Even if I left something in the car I expect them to contact me first, not just show up with it. Uber needs to know not just for my protection but for the protection of others

That seems to be a very good possibility indeed.
I can say without question that if I ever had a driver appear at my door unrequested FOR ANY REASON AT ALL, someone at Uber would know about it. Even if I left something in the car I expect them to contact me first, not just show up with it. Uber needs to know not just for my protection but for the protection of others
I agree with one caveat.

The driver can contact you ONLY if you were their last ride. All phone/text contacts between drivers and riders go through Uber or Lyft. There is no direct contact for privacy reasons on both sides. Once the driver accepts another ride, that link is gone.

So, if you left something in the car, the driver would have to go back through Uber support, give permission for them to give you the driver's number, and then have support contact you.

I agree with one caveat.

The driver can contact you ONLY if you were their last ride. All phone/text contacts between drivers and riders go through Uber or Lyft. There is no direct contact for privacy reasons on both sides. Once the driver accepts another ride, that link is gone.

So, if you left something in the car, the driver would have to go back through Uber support, give permission for them to give you the driver's number, and then have support contact you.
Good. That's the way it should be.

Halp! Just ready somebody post that Uber/Lyft can not pick you up from MCO... that's not right is it?

Halp! Just ready somebody post that Uber/Lyft can not pick you up from MCO... that's not right is it?
No, that is not correct. Any class of service for either Uber or Lyft can pick you up at MCO.

Last session, the Florida Legislature passed a rideshare law to standardize rideshare operations throughout the state. The new law went into effect on July 1, 2017 and permits any rideshare driver the ability to pick up anywhere in the State of Florida. ALL ability to regulate rideshare was specifically removed from local authorities by this law. They can specify pickup zones and traffic safety protocols only, but cannot prevent or set requirements for rideshare drivers.

We'll be using Uber for the first time this week and I am quite anxious.

We'll be staying at a hotel near the airport the first night and want to leave early in the morning on Sunday. I'm not too concerned about that (other than worrying it will be harder to get picked up near the airport now that drivers can pick up at the airport).

On Thursday afternoon we will need a ride to Merritt Island and am worried no one will want to do that. How do I let the driver know this before hand? Can I straight up tell them I plan to tip $20 for the trip as an incentive? Maybe I should tip more than $20 since it is such a long trip?

Also, I'm seeing all this stuff about ratings and if your rating is lower you might have to wait longer for a ride. Is this also the case for new users?

We'll be staying at a hotel near the airport the first night and want to leave early in the morning on Sunday. I'm not too concerned about that (other than worrying it will be harder to get picked up near the airport now that drivers can pick up at the airport).

On Thursday afternoon we will need a ride to Merritt Island and am worried no one will want to do that. How do I let the driver know this before hand? Can I straight up tell them I plan to tip $20 for the trip as an incentive? Maybe I should tip more than $20 since it is such a long trip?

Also, I'm seeing all this stuff about ratings and if your rating is lower you might have to wait longer for a ride. Is this also the case for new users?

Merritt Island is a long trip, about an hour each way. There will be plenty of drivers who will not want to do that. What you need to do is call your driver upon a ride being accepted (there's a button to do that inside the app) and very explicitly tell him/her what you want to do. If the driver doesn't agree, the ride will be canceled and you won't get charged a cancellation fee. Definitely don't wait until you're in the car to divulge that information.

Merritt Island is a long trip, about an hour each way. There will be plenty of drivers who will not want to do that. What you need to do is call your driver upon a ride being accepted (there's a button to do that inside the app) and very explicitly tell him/her what you want to do. If the driver doesn't agree, the ride will be canceled and you won't get charged a cancellation fee. Definitely don't wait until you're in the car to divulge that information.

Do you think the same would also apply for a pick-up from Sanford airport to a Disney Resort ?
It’s also about an hour ride each way , but I would think it’s a fairly normal trek for Uber drivers hanging around SFB?
How about the reverse ? From a Disney Resort to SFB ?
Thanks

Do you think the same would also apply for a pick-up from Sanford airport to a Disney Resort ?
It’s also about an hour ride each way , but I would think it’s a fairly normal trek for Uber drivers hanging around SFB?
How about the reverse ? From a Disney Resort to SFB ?
Thanks

I think it's generally a courtesy to tell drivers any time a trip will be a longer one requiring them to leave one city and enter another.

ok - so - never used Uber before - we always use Magical Express or I rent a car....

First I need the app, then I need to get my bags, THEN I request a ride, then I stay in that spot until car comes. How do I know it's my car when there will be LOADS of other people waiting for their cars, too.

Yes, I am pathetic. I need "Uber for Dummies"......

ok - so - never used Uber before - we always use Magical Express or I rent a car....

First I need the app, then I need to get my bags, THEN I request a ride, then I stay in that spot until car comes. How do I know it's my car when there will be LOADS of other people waiting for their cars, too.

Yes, I am pathetic. I need "Uber for Dummies"......

It will tell you the make/model/license plate/color of your car. Match that with the car arriving. You can (and should) also ask the driver for his/her name to confirm you're getting in the right car.

Uber will give the trip to a driver waiting in the airport queue if there's no one closer. The driver may grumble a bit, but they know they will be sent to the back of the line if they don't accept it. I think Uber also now lets the driver jump back to the front of queue after completing a trip originating off the airport, if that trip turns out to be a very short trip.
Both Uber & Lyft now let drivers know when a trip is expected to take more than 45 minutes, before they accept it. Still, contacting the driver as soon as they're assigned is not a bad idea.

Both Uber & Lyft now let drivers know when a trip is expected to take more than 45 minutes, before they accept it. Still, contacting the driver as soon as they're assigned is not a bad idea.

Oh, this is good to know!

As Joel said, the ride may very well go to a driver in the airport queue. And their initial reaction would be, "OMG, why don't they just take the hotel shuttle!" because they'll assume you're just going to the airport for a flight.

So call them quickly and tell them where you're going. If you're going somewhere near WDW, your ride will be as good as an airport pickup. Some of my best rides have been from airport hotels.
The key would be communication. Call the driver quickly and explain where you are going. If they say no, cancel quickly and you will not be charged. But do this quickly, because if you take two minutes, you will be charged -- although if you contact Uber and explain the circumstances, I'm sure they'll refund the cancellation fee.

However...depending on how long you're staying in Merritt Island and what your plans are from there, you might want to consider a rental car. If you're going over to see friends and returning to the WDW area, a one-day car rental would probably be a better choice.
As a new rider, your rating starts at 5.0, so you're golden.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter