Every Mile is a Miracle

True, and you can't beat Disney for celebrating Birthdays! Makeshift Rundisney DL race weekend, love it.

Work Week Running 12/11 - 12/15

Monday: Sunday night was another “I should have gone to bed and not waited for my husband to get home from work night”. One day I will give in to sleep when I should, but I hate going to bed without him. But I got up when I needed to on Monday to get my run streak one miler in. My left shin started bugging me as I ran uphill, it was cold, and I had a dog chase me for a bit. Other than that, just your average run streak mile.
Distance: 1.08 miles
Average Pace: 11:26

Tuesday: This was my first 4 miles + Strides. After inquiring about doing strides outside vs on a treadmill, I decided that if I wanted to do my DBP as he suggested me to, I would do my run outside. And to ensure that I actually follow through with my run for the day, I did it in the morning before work. Even though when my alarm went off I didn’t want to get out of bed. I just thought of @dopeybadger’s motto: “If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it!” So I got out of bed.
It was cold. I wish I had gloves. It was dark. I used my phone as a flash light. I could see every single star in the sky (desert perks). I got startled by my shadow. I prayed that I didn’t run into any coyotes (I didn’t). My headphones died at 2.75 miles, which was actually okay because the last mile was my Strides anyway, so I was focused on those & recovery. It was a pretty good run, despite forever feeling like I am struggling to maintain pace. I keep reminding myself that I am *just* starting this plan and getting used to the efforts. (And as I am typing this I realized I had my desired pace wrong in my head, oops, I was aiming for 12:34 not 12:23. Ha.)
Plan: 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 4.03 Miles @ 12:32 average
Splits: 12:20 (downhill), 12:32 (downhill), 13:17 (uphill), 11:58 (flat + Strides)

Wednesday: I like Wednesday’s because I can get my husband to join me at the gym in the morning. (He likes to do spin with me.) However, we got to the gym this morning and the ~technology machine~ that we can run a spin class through isn’t working. :( So we go our own ways and I get my Run Streak mile in and then head into the cardio room and do some circuit strength training. If anyone has any favorite workouts, send them my way. I did basically a total body session for about 20 minutes. As I was walking out of the room, a girl I had conversed with once before at the gym said “Keep up the good work, you’re doing great! I was at that point once, too.” MEANING I must have looked like a sloppy mess hahahahaha. Oh well.
Distance: 1.00 miles
Average Pace: 11:43

Thursday: Good. Grief. Was today a hard one. I had to do A LOT of pep-talking to myself during this run. Once again, I stayed up later than I should have. Partly to wait for my husband to get off work and partly because I had work to do. I am currently in the process of closing down my Wedding Photography business that I have owned for 5 years. While there is a part of me that is really, really sad about it because I wanted this so badly and I worked ridiculously hard to get where I am today, I just hated owning and running a business solo. So I am finishing up albums for my last weddings of the fall and walking away. I will be glad to have these done so I don’t have any reason to stay up late except: I wanted to. Anyway, that made waking up a little more difficult. I need to add some extra alarms to go off for when I snooze. (Or I need to start using that “solve a math problem” alarm I downloaded.) But I drug myself out of bed and to the gym. Today was T-Pace Intervals and my plan was to do them on the treadmill, even though coach doesn’t like that. ;) I need to get a feel of these before I execute outside and again, it’s just so dang dark out in the morning. (Side note: I just bought a Tracer360 Visibility Vest! https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360) My legs were already feeling sore from my strength training I did yesterday, but after this run they were toast (still are as I type this out at 2pm).
Plan: 1 Mile @ WU 13:09 // .5 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 1 min Rest // 1 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 2 min Rest // .5 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 1 Mile @ CD 13:09
Actual: 1 mile WU @ 13:02 // .5 mile @ T Pace 9:31 + 1 min Slow Walk // 1 Mile @ T Pace 9:31 + 2 min Slow Walk // .5 Mile @ T Pace 9:31 + 1 Mile @ CD 13:02 = 4.23 miles @ 49:25
Again, because I was on the treadmill, I chose the faster option that was closest to my goal pace. That 1 Mile @ T Pace was a rough one but I said ANY and EVERY motivational thing I could to pump myself up. I feel like this is when a treadmill is better for me because I can just keep the pace I am at if I keep my fingers off the button. My mental game would have won if I was out on the road. The second I said “This sucks” I would have slowed down.

Friday: My legs are still super sore. Who knew some squats and lunges could mess me up this bad. I am hoping some stretching tonight and maybe the hot tub will help loosen them up for my two scheduled runs this weekend. I got out and did my Run Streak One Miler this morning. It was cold, I was slow, but it’s done.
Distance: 1.07
Average Pace: 11:35

This weekend is a family weekend. Tonight we are going to see Ferdinand. Tomorrow we are making our Hanukkah dinner (hello, latkes!), and Sunday is our 11 year Anniversary. Really looking forward to this weekend.

If you choose to do T on the treadmill again, then choose the slower pace not the faster one. That end of the pace spectrum is very tight and pushing a little too hard might miss the mark on the goal. But a little too slow and you'll be fine.

I know personally I would not be able to do T pace on the treadmill. It might be one reason that felt so hard. If possible try to get out there for at least one of the upcoming T on the road to get a feel for the road effort. It might mean you slow down even more on the treadmill since effort trumps pace.

You go girl!!! Way to get through the new plan. Glad there were no coyotes. When we were in CA I would see them in the daylight on runs, I can't imagine if i came across one in the dark. I would probably hit paces I never thought were possible. Keep up the good work and have a great weekend, sounds like a lot of fun plans.

Weekend Report!
Saturday - 4 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday - 6 Miles @ LR 11:11

This weekend was so nice. Originally, I wanted to plan some fun get away for my husband and I to celebrate our 11 year Anniversary, but our baby sitter fell through and we ended up just staying home. (I was pretty grateful and happy with our weekend until I hopped on Instagram and saw some friends of ours celebrating their anniversary at Disneyland, then I got sad and jealous. I mentioned this to my husband and he laughed and said, "I was waiting for you to comment on that...")

Saturday: We were checking on a family member's dog this weekend, so I had a great idea to have my DH & DD bring the dog to the island I was doing my run at and take her for a walk. It was a beautiful day. My legs were finally feeling better (I found that my office's little gym had rollers and rolled my legs out on Friday before I left work). I was ready for this run and so was my DD. She followed me for a bit and I snagged a cute picture of us. <3 The run felt great, the pace felt great, everything was great.
Plan: 4 Miles @ EB 11:34 (+/- 10 seconds), duration 46:17
Actual: 4.02 Miles @ 11:32 average, during 46:12
Splits: 11:24, 11:26, 11:36, 11:32

54B1EA9A-465E-4AC2-8BEB-AC2B787CF50E.JPG

Sunday: We got to sleep in both days this weekend and I cannot begin to express my excitement about that. It was a slow morning and we really had nothing planned today except Anniversary dinner that night, so we planned our morning errands around my 6 mile Long run. I mapped it out and we decided to meet at the park, my DH was gonna bring our breakfast for us to eat when we met there, then we would go do our errands. Well, about 20 minutes into my run I get a text from my DH's cousin and they were doing a puzzle and lounging at home. She said to come by if we wanted. I replied with a picture of the running path I was on. She said "Just tack on a few extra miles ;)". I told her I would be there in 40 and told my DH to meet me there instead. The plan change didn't even really effect my mileage needed, so that was good. My run was a lot of downhill, which was nice. But at about mile 4, the wind picked up and was coming straight for me, so I was running against the wind the last half and that effected my pace a bit. It was still a good run and fun to be able to run from our house to a family member's house, haha. Turns out that everyone was going on a hike later in the afternoon, so we ran our errands and then met them for a hike. It was about 5 miles total, nothing too crazy. Needless to say, by the end of the day I was spent.
Plan: 6 Miles @ LR 11:11 (+/- 10 seconds), duration 1:07:07
Actual: 5.98 Miles @ 11:20 average, duration 11:07:47
Splits: 10:53, 11:26, 10:46, 11:25, 11:45, 11:52

IMG_1888.jpg B8F884ED-48DB-459A-B98E-A07FD5ACB086.JPG 14A88903-B966-4560-AEFB-1258F517B481.JPG

Weekly Totals:
Miles: 21.4
Time: 4:10:26
Average Pace: 11:42

Upcoming Training Schedule:

Monday 12/18 - Run Streak 1 Miler (day 20)
Tuesday 12/19 - W3DBP 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides!
Wednesday 12/20 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 22)
Thursday 12/21 - W3DBP 1 mi @ WU 13:09 + 2 x 1 mi @ T Pace 9:35 w/2min RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD 13:09
Friday 12/23 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 24)
Saturday 12/24 - W3DBP 5 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 12/25 - W3DBP 7 Miles @ LR 11:11

Last edited:

Weekly Report: 12/18 - 12/25
Planned:
Monday 12/18 - Run Streak 1 Miler (day 20)
Tuesday 12/19 - W3DBP 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides!
Wednesday 12/20 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 22)
Thursday 12/21 - W3DBP 1 mi @ WU 13:09 + 2 x 1 mi @ T Pace 9:35 w/2min RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD 13:09
Friday 12/23 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 24)
Saturday 12/24 - W3DBP 5 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 12/25 - W3DBP 7 Miles @ LR 11:11

Monday 12/18 –
Run Streak One Miler (day 20). It was cold. I was slow. I just want to be done with it.
Distance: 1.07 miles
Average Pace: 11:23

Tuesday 12/19 – 4 Miles @ EA + Strides. I had my new Nox Gear light up vest. I wanted it to light up more, and maybe help illuminate my path but I still had to use my flashlight on my phone (come on, spring!). My hands were pretty cold, but I warmed up quickly. Listened to a podcast. My legs felt really good. Strides are super fun.
Plan: 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 4.03 Miles @ 12:18 average
Splits: 12:00 (downhill), 12:23 (downhill), 13:02 (uphill), 11:41 (flat + Strides)

Wednesday 12/20 – Run Streak One Miler (day 22). It warmed up a bit from the last two mornings. My depression crept in and I stayed in bed until the very last chance I had to get my run in, so I missed my gym time too. I cried on this run. Today kind of just sucked all around.
Distance: 1.09 miles
Average Pace: 11:11

Thursday 12/21 - This was by far one of the worst training runs I have ever done. I feel better about it *now* after pep talks with the coach, but man this one tore me down. I decided to take my T Pace Intervals outside instead of on the treadmill, but I couldn't have picked a worse location for them this time around. Apparently T Pace Intervals + Hills = BAD. Also, I learned that my Apple Watch wasn't set properly to give me correct interval pace, so I was just going too fast and it was too hilly and I wanted to die. I have had almost a week to sort it all out, find a new route, figure out how to properly get my pacing, so I am hoping this week's will be better. *fingers crossed*
Plan: 1 mi @ WU 13:09 // 2 x 1 mi @ T Pace 9:35 w/2min RI @ WU // 1 mi @ CD 13:09
Actual: 1 mi @ WU 12:54 // 1 mi @ 8:29 w/2min RI // 1 mi @ 10:31 w/2min RI // 1 mi @ CD 14:13 = 4.24 mi @ 49:26

Friday 12/22 - Run Streak One Miler (day 24). Slept in. Didn't wanna go to work. Didn't wanna do anything, but did the things anyway.
Distance: 1.08 miles
Average Pace: 11:24

Saturday 12/23 - Family has been slowing rolling into town, so we were making plans left and right. Plus we were heading to Vegas to see my family today. But I had to make sure I got my run in -- and I did. The older cousins on my DH's side, wanted to meet at the park so the kids could all play and whatnot. They wanted to meet early, which was fine. I ended up meeting them after my run (that I kept offering to anyone that wanted to join me, no one accepted) and some brought coffee and breakfast burritos. I was a happy camper.
Plan: 5 Miles @ EB 11:34 (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 5.05 Miles @ 11:35, duration 58:27
Splits: 11:34, 11:36, 11:33, 11:41, 11:21

Sunday 12/24 - I am convinced that this year has changed me in ways that I can't even believe. Never, ever, would I have previously been a person who runs (FOR PLEASURE) the morning of Christmas Eve. Also, sticking to a training plan? HA. Unheard of. This run also marks the farthest I have ever ran while training. Plus, since I was visiting my parents in Vegas, I got to see the Red Rock Canyon in the distance on my run, which is the race I am actually training for right now. I did strategically place a water bottle for me along my path, but I am now shopping for a hydration belt, and I felt really good most of the time. I think I hit my splits pretty well. I am impressed with my body as a whole and feel more confident than ever, honestly. My favorite part of this run was texting my DH when I was about 4 miles away from the house asking for a mimosa and when I came in the door he was there with a mimosa in hand for me. Best. Husband. Ever.
Plan: 7 Miles @ LR 11:11 (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 7.03 Miles @ 11:14, duration 1:18:56
Splits: 11:20, 11:19, 10:55, 11:11, 11:30, 11:15, 11:02

And that was my week. I hope everyone had a great Christmas, or weekend. I know I did. My husband got me some Brooks Launch 4 and they are heavenly. I am breaking them in for the RnR AZ HM in a few weeks.

Upcoming Training Schedule:
Monday 12/25 - Run Streak 1 Miler (day 27)
Tuesday 12/26 - W4DBP 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides!
Wednesday 12/27 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 29)
Thursday 12/28 - W4DBP 1 mi @ WU 13:09 + 2 x 1.5 mi @ T Pace 9:35 w/3min RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD 13:09
Friday 12/29 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 31)
Saturday 12/30 - W4DBP 6 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 12/31 - W4DBP 9 Miles @ LR 11:11 (Practice Nutrition Strategy)

I wanted it to light up more, and maybe help illuminate my path but I still had to use my flashlight on my phone

I attached this to my NOX gear vest to get some forward light for myself. Works well.

https://www.target.com/p/bell-arella-bike-light-set/-/A-15740543#lnk=sametab

It's not super fancy, but it does what I need it to.

I am convinced that this year has changed me in ways that I can't even believe. Never, ever, would I have previously been a person who runs (FOR PLEASURE) the morning of Christmas Eve. Also, sticking to a training plan? HA. Unheard of. This run also marks the farthest I have ever ran while training. Plus, since I was visiting my parents in Vegas, I got to see the Red Rock Canyon in the distance on my run, which is the race I am actually training for right now. I did strategically place a water bottle for me along my path, but I am now shopping for a hydration belt, and I felt really good most of the time. I think I hit my splits pretty well. I am impressed with my body as a whole and feel more confident than ever, honestly. My favorite part of this run was texting my DH when I was about 4 miles away from the house asking for a mimosa and when I came in the door he was there with a mimosa in hand for me. Best. Husband. Ever.

:woohoo:

I attached this to my NOX gear vest to get some forward light for myself. Works well.
I was thinking of just grabbing a bike light like this! Does it attach easily?

Awesome job with the training and keeping that running streak up. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Best wishes for the New Year.
Thank you! And congrats on the new orders!

Just stopping by to say hi and keep up the good work!
Thanks Sarah!

Brooks Launch are my go to shoes! I buy multiple pairs off of Nordstrom Rack anytime I catch them on sale!
Dang it I just looked and they are on an even better sale than before Christmas. Maybe I'll snag another pair. Haha. I am going to get the Rock N Roll Launch 5s that they did for 2018 because they are tie dyed and beautiful!

Only 4 more days of this run streak and I can't wait to actually enjoy a rest day, haha.

I was thinking of just grabbing a bike light like this! Does it attach easily?

The white bike light wraps easily around the strap.

IMG_1016.JPG

I will say it stays in place about 98% of the time. But I have the advantage of it resting on my bones of my chest to prop it up. I can't be certain it would stay in place as easily for a female.

congrats on the new orders!

Thanks. It's been awhile since we've been on the east coast. It's close to family which could be a blessing or a curse. We were hoping for warmer climate, but at least I can now get to races without having to take 3 plane trips.

OMGGGGG is Arizona the only place you can get them?! I am doing Nashville :sad:
I am thinking that this are the official RNR race shoes for the year, but I will ask when I am at the AZ one and let you know. If they are only in AZ I will snag you a pair and send them your way. But I like HAVE to have these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts