Everything Hurts & I Need A Bathroom! A First Timer's Guide to 2018's Disneyland (COMPLETE)

SO EXCITED for your big news!!!!! My one collegiate regret is that I didn't know the DCP existed until after I graduated :( That would have been an incredible experience and I'm so happy you get the chance to do it on BOTH coasts!!! Lucky duck! :)

Congrats again on your CP! My daughter love to watch YouTube videos about the college program and she knows all about what's available and where. Definitely in her plans for a semester between community college and university. As a mom, though, kinda scary. So I'll be watching your Insta stories to learn more about it.

I do hope we can meet up... I know you'll be busy with start of CP stuff, but oh, the photos we could take...

Thank you so much (again)! And that was totally me back in high school, doing all I could to research as much as I could for my CP. It'll help in the long run. And don't worry too much, it's a great experience and although I understand why you would worry (Pulse happened just prior to me leaving for my first one so my mom was FREAKING OUT), no place safer than Disney World trust me (*knock on wood*), but then again she's not even applied so you have time to get the jitters out hehe

And yes, we def need to! It'll be funky to do so, but we'll figure it out I'm sure. :thumbsup2

SO EXCITED for your big news!!!!! My one collegiate regret is that I didn't know the DCP existed until after I graduated :( That would have been an incredible experience and I'm so happy you get the chance to do it on BOTH coasts!!! Lucky duck! :)

Thank you so much! And I mean, the DCP really took awhile before it gained notoriety so don't be too sad you missed out. I'm super excited I'm taking advantage of the opportunities on both coasts. California for the summer is going to be AMAZING. :teeth:

Thank you so much (again)! And that was totally me back in high school, doing all I could to research as much as I could for my CP. It'll help in the long run. And don't worry too much, it's a great experience and although I understand why you would worry (Pulse happened just prior to me leaving for my first one so my mom was FREAKING OUT), no place safer than Disney World trust me

We actually stayed at Sheraton Vistana on our last WDW trip which is right next to the CP dorms, so I feel like I "know" the area. At least I feel it's familiar to me.

As for leaving after Pulse... such a tragedy and I can understand a mom's fears. As a teacher (even if it is pre-K) and mom, I struggle with every single mass shooting. I know I've got to let them go, but it's always that "heart walking around outside my body" cliche.

We actually stayed at Sheraton Vistana on our last WDW trip which is right next to the CP dorms, so I feel like I "know" the area. At least I feel it's familiar to me.
As for leaving after Pulse... such a tragedy and I can understand a mom's fears. As a teacher (even if it is pre-K) and mom, I struggle with every single mass shooting. I know I've got to let them go, but it's always that "heart walking around outside my body" cliche.

Oh yeah, that's right next to Vista Way (there are four housing complexes for CPs btw), which is what is considered the worst of the CP dorms (I didn't think they were bad), but honestly you don't have to worry. All CP apartment complexes are tucked away and in safe locales.

I mean, I was scared, but I wasn't gonna let that scare me off from my dream. I still think about it often as do I with the other shootings. They linger and frankly, not to get political, with nothing getting done about why these keep happening, it's understandable that they do so noth

Life has gotten in the way and I'm finally back getting all caught up on your TR.

I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it. What a dream come true.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to tell y'all about it. I'm so excited uggghhh May 20th cannot get here faster! :mickeyjum

Pre-warning for @Lesley Wake, might have mixed up a few things about what actually happened this day so if you spot some inconsistencies with how you remember what happened, it's because I didn't take TR notes so it's messy. Oh well.

The One In Which Timmy Eats And That's All That Matters (Not "Show")
January 10th, 2018

We left off on our way to go grab some grub. Toontown was a bit out of the ways so we had a bit of a walk. Raven suggested we go to Red Rose Tavern, but I really wasn't feeling something super themy, I just wanted something basic but satisfying. We ended up settling on Galactic Grill, which is essentially like a smaller entirely outdoor Cosmic Ray's, a place I'm VERY familiar with (it's one of the busiest restaurants in the world and I would bus the outside... you do the math). Lesley & Raven were both good for food so they went and got us a table while Kinzie & I went up to get food.

Kinzie was having another nostalgia conniption and was enamored with the stage by Galactic Grill. She told me there used to be a Buzz Lightyear show that would happen on that stage. We caught the Jedi training briefly earlier so she was hung up on how that's what was there now. It was really sweet to hear, but I couldn't relate and Kinzie didn't get that. Eventually she went out looking for a cart to get some churros as she wanted and didn't want to bother waiting in line.

The line wasn't too too long. I went up and ordered my chicken fingers and cup of water no problem. Of course, working with only change as I was this trip was a bit of a hassle,
but I got my food and that's what matters. I didn't take any food pics of my generic chicken fingers and water because why would you want to see that? Exactly, you would not care to see that. But it was good, filled me up and warmed me up as well as it was starting to get REALLY cold.

The sun had gone down. The jackets were being zipped up and we were still shivering. Not the Disney weather I'm used to. Raven & Lesley were chatting away when I got back to the table and I ended up hopping in on the discussion as we were spilling all the tea (i.e. giving all the details) on the DCP to Lesley. Lesley was also giving me some more tea on what happened on her first trip to WDW, which is always an enjoyable talk especially since it had been over a year now since I went to the Florida parks. We were chatting, shivering a little and I was eating away. We all had prepared pretty well for the weather, even if not well enough, EXCEPT FOR Kinzie. Kinzie had come back from not being able to find a churro and was freezing. She left her jacket in the car and thought she'd make it but well... she didn't. She asked me to come back to the car with her, which really wasn't something I was too down for, but I obliged until Lesley offered to help buy her a jacket since Kinzie was running a bit short on funds. It was really sweet and Kinzie hopped on that real quick. They got each other's Venmos so she could pay her back and went off leaving Raven & I on our own time.

Raven & I chatted about whatever, mostly Kinzie since she kinda swooped in and was... well, Kinzie and had told us everything going on in her love life. I won't go into details but I've been dealing with this FOREVER. Generally I kinda got us off-topic because I wasn't in the mood for relationship drama while on vacation in a Disney park, my favorite places ever, but I had to catch Raven up a little so we did. In that time, I finished all the fries that always just chill at the bottom of the chicken fingers and Kinzie & Lesley had come back.

Kinzie really wanted to ride It's A Small World since it was her dad's favorite so we headed over that way. Raven had checked the wait times and they were rather low. Lesley had told us we needed to see it with lights which had just gone on prior to us chilling at Galactic Grill and it was pretty dark by the time we got over to IASW and WOW.

Bless up getting to Disneyland before this attraction overlay was taken down. O M GOODNESS IT WAS GORGEOUS.

We didn't spend too much time out front and immediately hopped in line. The wait wasn't bad as expected and soon enough, we were off on the happiest cruise that ever sailed. I took this time to see if I could get some more focused photos on my phone and some vids as well. We also were trying to see if Kinzie could catch any of the Disney characters, which I had expertly managed to remember where all of them were (even better than the two vets in the boat). It was a really lovely ride overall, better than the first ride tbh

Click to watch!

After IASW, it was nearing time for Fant and Lesley had to work so we bid her adieu. We decided we didn't have much else to do and it was getting close to our time for our Fantasmic FPs, which I may or may not have mentioned we got, but we did! At least, Raven & I did which was a difficult situation since Kinzie didn't. We obviously didn't want to make her sit all alone so we concocted a scheme to get her in with us, one that involved a human wall with Kinzie scrunched in the middle and some other convoluted things.

However, in the middle of that, I ONCE AGAIN needed my bathroom break. I'm sure I've missed a few (yeah, I'm a bad TR writer I'M IN SCHOOL TRYING TO BALANCE MY PRE-ADULT LIFE OUT LET ME BEG), but this was one of quite a few by now. However as we were walking by, we noticed someone had left a backstage door WIDE open. We believe it was the area behind Peter Pan's Flight (even if the bathroom is right behind the Alice in Wonderland attraction) because this is what we saw:

I made my usual in-CM joke saying "Show, much?" I won't let you in on it, but if there are any former CMs out there, please laugh with moi.

Anyways, we continued onward to the Fantasmic FP. When we got to the line, we told the CM there that Kinzie had "lost her FP" and she let us in no problem. The line had already formed, but we had a lot of waiting around to do. Raven said we'd still get a good seat. In that time, Kinzie's girlfriend drama came to the forefront as did Raven's and I was like...

3Q0OEj8.gif

Yup, shut that down real quick. I mean, I was a good friend and consoled them, well, mostly Kinzie, and then got on with our lives. We made some nice conversation with one of the CMs that came through as he was checking tickets and we had to explain to him that Kinzie lost hers. He was very understanding too. I don't remember much else, but not before long we were being let in. Kinzie walked right on through and we were in! We also managed to find PERFECT seats front and center. I have NEVER been able to watch a Fant from the center since Studios's Fant only allows those with a dining package to sit in the middle. I usually went in standby or with a FP so I'd be a little off to the side, which, after seeing it so many times, didn't bother me too much, but OMG I WAS SEEING FANT FROM THE MIDDLE! It was def a sign of good things to come.

We had around an hour left until the show started so we chilled mostly keeping to ourselves. I checked on all my social media as did they. Kinzie was still pestering us for advice on her drama, which we gave. Eventually, we did convince her to put her phone away and just relax. We were in Disney, no need for drama and stress (or attitudes from S/Os). Kinzie then was starting to feel a bit famished. She never got her churro and she was really starting to feel a lack of food. We weren't sure how to get her out since the whole Fant seating arrangement at Disneyland is so convoluted (props to Studios for amending most of that), Raven suggested just letting a CM know so Kinzie got up and did as such.

Skipping Raven & I sitting mostly in silence, Kinzie got back with her churro including one for us because she was so thankful for inviting us (she really was in a good mood which is why the relationship drama bothered us a bit). Right as she got back, the show was starting to begin, Raven and I ready to mimic all the choreo that we knew so so well.

BUT

I'm going to skip the formalities here and say...

:butterfly Disneyland's Fantasmic IS AMAZING!!! :butterfly

Like WOW. I had seen vids of it and knew that DLR had it going on but THIS. I didn't expect any of it to wow me like it did. The effects. The Pirate ship. THE DRAGON. The new upgrades. RAPUNZEL AND EUGENE. THE MAGIC CARPET. I was QUAKING IN MY CONVERSE. We all were sobbing. I was IN LOVE. Like... YIKES, Studios's Fant needs to step it up like a million years ago, just on our mediocre cherry picker dragon alone DEAR LORD.

The Princess section is by far one of my faves up there alongside the finale with all the characters on the Mark Twain/Steamboat Willie (as it is at Studios). I had to get a video of it since I knew the change included adding the LOML Eugene & Punzie. I knew it was set to "I See The Light", one of my fave Disney love songs EVER (I want it played at my wedding in some fashion), but... y'all you can hear me crying in this video (and fangirling over my fave mermaid):

Click to watch!

Click to watch!

Ugh, I still cry watching it back. I'm so excited to be able to see it as much as I can this summer and with so many of my Disney besties. EEEEEEPPPPP!!!!!!

Kinzie & I were going on, I about how this just blew Studios's Fant out of the water and Kinzie on how she needs to see that a million times over with her mom as she wanted to take Kinzie for a day trip too. Oh we were shook. In the midst of that, I found out Raven, a WDWCP alumni, NEVER SAW STUDIOS'S VERSION. I was shocked, but said it wasn't a big deal. She was only missing out on a real messy and pretty whitewashed Poca section. Yup, moving on...

Originally, Raven & I were planning on leaving right after since we had to pick up some things from her grandparents house however we all were SO HYPE and needed to run off our steam. The park was dying out quickly since it only closed an hour after Fant. What do we do with limited time but also limited lines at Disneyland?

You'll have to wait and see...

Continued Here

Last edited:
I wish you could see my smile when I realize you've updated.

I'll be honest. I've seen both Fantasmics and both times thought... meh. But your description has convinced me I cannot miss it this year when I'll be there without young children to distract me. I'm going to reserve us a dining package and park myself in the best spot in our area and enjoy the heck out of it. I'll even rewatch Tangled and pay attention this time so I know what's happening.

PS -- I think that the lighting of IASW sort of makes up for no Haunted Mansion. Because Dang. That is amazing.

Oh wow!! I cannot wait to someday see IASW at DL, it's the only ride my Mom remembers from her childhood trip and she always talks about it :)

I think you got most of it right! Though Kinzie may have also gotten some fries when you got nuggets. I just know Raven and I snuck fries from 2 different baskets!

And for small world we were all able to get almost immediate FPS via Maxpass! Kinzie was also in almost tears since it was her dads favorite ride!

I wish you could see my smile when I realize you've updated.

I'll be honest. I've seen both Fantasmics and both times thought... meh. But your description has convinced me I cannot miss it this year when I'll be there without young children to distract me. I'm going to reserve us a dining package and park myself in the best spot in our area and enjoy the heck out of it. I'll even rewatch Tangled and pay attention this time so I know what's happening.

PS -- I think that the lighting of IASW sort of makes up for no Haunted Mansion. Because Dang. That is amazing.

Awww omg that's so sweet.

No Fantasmic love? Awwww. Well, more for me! I think loving that show really depends on where you sit. If you get a bad view, it can ruin the magic of it all and we had AMAZING seats. I hope you'll get lucky with that with the dining package for your next viewing. :thumbsup2

It was SOOOOO pretty. Not sure it made up for Haunted Mansion but it made up for something lol

Oh wow!! I cannot wait to someday see IASW at DL, it's the only ride my Mom remembers from her childhood trip and she always talks about it :)

It's so beautiful day and night. I'm not sure how it is in the off-season in terms of night lighting (my guess is the coloring is gone), but omg what a classic what a beauty! I hope you get to see it again real soon!

I think you got most of it right! Though Kinzie may have also gotten some fries when you got nuggets. I just know Raven and I snuck fries from 2 different baskets!

Lmao I could not for the life of me remember what Kinzie did or did not get. I just know she was all over the place per usual lol

And for small world we were all able to get almost immediate FPS via Maxpass! Kinzie was also in almost tears since it was her dads favorite ride!

I thought so, but I wasn't positive. And yeah, she was very happy to be riding that one especially since we did prolong riding it earlier and she had mentioned wanting to ride it when I first told her I was coming to DLR long before landing in Cali. Def a special ride for her. :goodvibes

I loved DL's version of Fantasmic before the makeover, so I can only imagine how awesome it is now!! Glad you got to see it and enjoyed it :)

I've heard some still prefer it, but omg DL just has got it going on with their Fant. Again, not sure I could watch Studios' ever again unless they updated it too... :teeth:

Did You Really Think We'd Leave Without Seeing The Backside of Water?
January 10th, 2018

Initially following Fantasmic, Raven & I were ready to book it out. We'd been there since the morning so there wasn't much lost in a half hour pre-park close. We'd at least get to her grandparents' house at a decent hour to pick up her stuff. However, we were all feeling pretty magical and hyped up at the moment, we couldn't just LEAVE. Pirates of the Caribbean was right there with NO LINE so we hopped right on.

This was Kinzie's first time on Pirates and I told her how much better it was than the one at Disney World. This tended to be a theme with her and I throughout the day. But I mean, IT'S JUST SO MUCH BETTER. Like I LOVED riding POTC over and over again at Disney World, but I'm going to LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVVVEEEE riding POTC over and over again at Disneyland.

When we got off and ended up back in New Orlean's Square, we wandered about just to appreciate how pretty it is. Like NOS is honestly one of the prettiest lands in any Disney park and it seems so authentic. Along the way, we stumbled upon Club 33.

No one could let us in though. Sadness.

After we left NOS, we headed on over into Adventureland. We immediately hit the Tarzan Treehouse, which is essentially the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse from Magic Kingdom, but with a Tarzan overlay. It was cool though because the entrance to it was literally right at the bottom of the steps to the treehouse practically not like the turnstiles they have at Disney World.

Click to watch!

Click to watch!

It was pretty cool. Almost got run over by Raven when we passed the Jaguar scene since she was absolutely terrified and decided to walk in behind me and Kinzie. Yup, that was much scarier than the actual Jaguar. Other than that moment, it was a really nice chill walk over Disneyland practically. It reminded me of those nights in Magic Kingdom where I wouldn't do much, maybe one ride, one character and then I'd watch Wishes from weird locales like the top of Swiss Family Robinson. Awwww, the memories. So happy to make more in 92 DAYS!!!!!!!

Anyways, after a scarier climb down (Kinzie has vertigo and didn't tell me until after we had gotten down), we checked the time and we still had a few minutes. Kinzie was ready to book it to the front of the park so we wouldn't get in trouble. I told her that the queues for attractions close at closing time, but they still have to let people ride. Then after that, all areas of the park minus Main Street are closed. Main Street is then opened an hour or half-hour after park closing. We were in Adventureland so what to do for our last ride? What... to... do...?

Kinzie wanted to go on Indiana Jones, but I had my fill earlier. Luckily next door, one of my favorite attractions at Magic Kingdom in its West coast form stood proud!

(Pic from earlier)

For the record, the Jingle Cruise had been long gone by now.

JUNGLE CRUISE!

For those of you who DON'T know, Jungle Cruise Skipper is my DREAM role! Like even above Haunted Mansion butler, I want to be the teller of all the corniest jokes in the jungle and if you don't laugh at them, your swimming instructor. Or not. I think we all know I'd leave you to drown if you didn't laugh at my jokes. SAVAGE.

Anyways, we ran into line fairly quickly and got over to the entrance right as the last bote of the night was pulling up. We got in, ready for our usual 7 days and 7 night cruise, little did we know what would happen...

We had Skipper John and immediately as the last cruisers of the night were hopping on board, us included, he gave off a really hype and fun vibe. I definitely was excited since I hadn't gotten any great skippers for a long while (I once got the same WORST SKIPPER EVER TWICE on the MK Jungle Cruise) so John had a lot to live up to and he seemed to be starting off good.

Little did I know Skipper John would easily become THE. BEST. SKIPPER. EVER. PERIOD.

I'll begin with a few videos (watch them in sequence please)...

Click to watch!

Click to watch!

Click to watch!

I can't remember all of the jokes, but they were so nuanced and many I had not heard before or were such clever spins on jokes I liked. It was literally an entirely different Jungle Cruise from what I remember. He did ask early on in the ride who was not from California to which I raised my hand. He then said, "Welcome aboard, SUCKER!" It was HILARIOUS. The best one was when Kinzie asked about his gun to which he went off on her about. It was so funny. Later, during the rock jokes sequence, he ROASTED her with the rock jokes about the gun thing. It was UNREAL. Raven and I could not BREATHE, we were dying. Unfortunately, the cruise had to end and we had to breathe, but I made sure to @DisneylandToday on Twitter with the #CastCompliments hashtag to let them know how awesome John was. I really hope he saw it and continues to be a bomb skipper. I'd honestly DIE if I ever got him again during my CP.

For the record, y'all should really go write out compliment cards or tweet compliments to CMs like the way I did (@WDWToday for Disney World) because it is S) appreciated. They are very rare to get (Raven, during her CP, actually got the first tweet compliment for the Grand Floridian cast and it was a HUGE deal) and really boosts the morale of CMs since there are moments when a CM can feel unappreciated hence why self-terming is a thing. Next time you have a great experience with a CM, make sure to get their name and do this. I did it four times over this trip and I SOOOOO wish I could've done more, unfortunately it's so hard to catch the CM names (and sometimes, they aren't wearing a name tag with their actual name on it), but it's worth it in the long run. You really could make someone's day.

Anyways, that BEST JUNGLE CRUISE EVER was our attraction send-off for the night. The park was closed and we were out. I wanted to stop by the Emporium to go pick up my usual merch (every trip/time I'm in Disney World I HAVE TO get a t-shirt and a pin with the year I was there on it), but Raven & I did NOT want to be out late so we nixed that and just made our way out. Obviously not quickly, but no extra long stop at what would be a lightly busy Emporium.

First, we said goodnight to Aurora's castle...

Then the whole of Main Street...

And last, but certainly not least, Walt, for without him, none of this would exist...

If you didn't know, although I'm sure you do since most of you far exceed my Disney nerdiness, Walt used to have an apartment above the Main Street firehouse for when he was alive and would visit his park regularly. He would invite special guests up there as well as his family all the time. The way he would let people know he was there though was lighting the lamp that stood in the window looking out over Main Street. So way back in the late 50s and early 60s, if you saw the lamp on, Walt was around, if it was off, he wasn't around. After he passed, it was decided to keep the lamp on for good as long as Disneyland existed, for if Disneyland exists, Walt's spirit lives on. *wipes away single tear*

After saying goodnight to Walt, we headed out, ending a PERFECT first day at Disneyland. I'll not drudge on about what happened after as you know the drill. Long wait for the tram (but we ended up being able to scoot in when we thought we'd have to wait for the next one). Saying goodbye to Kinzie after getting off as she was parked WAY A WAYS from us. Driving by Knott's Berry Farm on the way back (closed obviously). Some late night emotional talks since Raven & I both were bonding over how awful life was post-CP (not going to get into that, too personal tbh) and then we were back at the hotel de Raven. I would've passed out, but I had some final pics to post, clean off my camera's SD card then get everything situated for the morning. After that, it was lights out!

Tomorrow was Disney's California Adventure!

:mickeyjum:charac4::mickeyjum:charac4::mickeyjum

Continued Here

Last edited:

For the record, y'all should really go write out compliment cards or tweet compliments to CMs like the way I did (@WDWToday for Disney World) because it is S) appreciated. They are very rare to get (Raven, during her CP, actually got the first tweet compliment for the Grand Floridian cast and it was a HUGE deal) and really boosts the morale of CMs since there are moments when a CM can feel unappreciated hence why self-terming is a thing. Next time you have a great experience with a CM, make sure to get their name and do this. I did it four times over this trip and I SOOOOO wish I could've done more, unfortunately it's so hard to catch the CM names (and sometimes, they aren't wearing a name tag with their actual name on it), but it's worth it in the long run. You really could make someone's day.

Such a great idea. I just turned to my daughter and told her to remind me to do this. I know I quite humbly love when someone compliments me when I'm doing my job, so I want to pass it forward. Especially at the happiest place on earth.

As for the Treehouse thing... hard pass for me. So afraid of heights. Jungle Cruise isn't usually my fave (I think it's due to the skippers) but doing it on the last boat of the night looks like so much fun. Totally tucking that tip away for one night.

After he passed, it was decided to keep the lamp on for good as long as Disneyland existed, for if Disneyland exists, Walt's spirit lives on. *wipes away single tear*
Waaaah!! I will be we weeping myself into a puddle whenever I finally make my way to stand in front of that fire house. Sniff!

Such a great idea. I just turned to my daughter and told her to remind me to do this. I know I quite humbly love when someone compliments me when I'm doing my job, so I want to pass it forward. Especially at the happiest place on earth.​

Oh yes, definitely do it! You will make so many cast members days, I promise you.

As for the Treehouse thing... hard pass for me. So afraid of heights. Jungle Cruise isn't usually my fave (I think it's due to the skippers) but doing it on the last boat of the night looks like so much fun. Totally tucking that tip away for one night.

It was definitely one of our best experiences. You honestly just need a good skipper so pray for a good one. There's way too many mediocre ones nowadays bleh

Waaaah!! I will be we weeping myself into a puddle whenever I finally make my way to stand in front of that fire house. Sniff!

I shed a tear every time I looked at it. Oh Walt, if you could only see your dream now. *sigh* *tear*

A little side announcement here, but Raven, my park buddy on this trip, just got into the DCP at Disneyland too! She's doing the Fall Advantage program because she graduates this spring so it seemed a better choice than summer. She'll be working in retail once again. She arrives a little less than a month after me, however she is already local so she'll be around and I'll be getting to see her a lot even before her check-in date. But OOOOOHHHHH, I can't stand this waiting, this is shaping up to be the MOST. MAGICAL. SUMMER. EVER.
:mickeyjum
Ok, now back to the trip. Let's get to that DCA day, shall we?

Mission: BREAKOUT Makes Me Question EVERYTHING

January 11th, 2018

As All Star Queen and Original Drag Race Winner Bebe Zahara Benet would say...

"Another day, another slay."

Today was CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE DAY!

louis-excited.gif

We got up early once again, definitely worn from the day before, but excited to be spending another day in a Disney park! I won't go into detail as it was another regular morning just like the previous. I might've slept in a little bit later since we got back so late from the day before and I was up late getting myself situated for the next day sooo probably a thing. If I recall, DCA also opened a bit later than Disneyland today or we were taking a shorter route idk Eventually, we were up and out the door, both of us pretty starving so the agreement was another mad dash to Starbucks as we had yesterday. Making that new tradition real.

On the drive, Raven put on the mood music (the Disney selections) per usual but unfortunately her girlfriend called us. I forgot to mention Raven's girlfriend had gotten into a bit of an accident the day before. She was fine. She refused medical help and was on her way to work today (she works at a pre-school on an army base). I didn't let it show but I was a little miffed she had called during our magical journey to the happiest place on Earth. I understood she was still shaken from yesterday and really could use S/O support, but UGH I WAS OVER THESE S/O ISSUES GETTING INVOLVED WITH OUR TRIP. I deal with them enough since ALL MY FRIENDS ARE IN RELATIONSHIPS EXCEPT ME SO I'M THE ONE WHO HEARS ALL THE DRAMA AND VACATION IS THE ONLY TIME I CAN GET AWAY FROM ALL THAT UGGGGHHHH But I pick my battles and I understood so I wasn't going to turn into psycho conceited Timmy. We'd be in DCA soon enough.

The drive was different this time and we ended up in a different parking lot. I hadn't realized there were two parking lots. This one being behind DCA and the other just right past the entrance. Most tend to use Mickey & Friends since it's the one that seems to be found on GPSs I'd later discover and it's much closer to the park itself with the tram being a far more efficient way to get into the park. We were using the other today which was Toy Story and they used busses which Raven was calling a throwback to our CP days since we had to use an awful bus system to get into the parks/work. She said these busses were like that, which they weren't from the outside and ran far more efficiently and safely than TranStar. The inside did look like them.

ANYWAYS, soon we were back at the promenade going through the security over there. We had no issues and were no sooner off to DCA this time not being held up at the turnstiles for having me sign my name since I already had my ticket. We went directly from there straight to Starbucks. It was here I got my first glimpse of Buena Vista Street.
In typical WDW native fashion, I found myself constantly reminded of Studios. The entrance is an obvious giveaway since it is the exact same as Studios minus DCA being spelled out on top rather than DHS. Also, there was no boat launch or crazy line of bus stops or security directly in front... I'm going off on a tangent. But it just all felt so Studios to me. Back to business: STARBUCKS. Let's go.

I apologize in advanced for not having a lot of photos for this morning. It took me a bit longer to get my bearings and we were STARVING this morning, especially after our previous day so we didn't take much time to get some nice pics. Not even while we waited. I will tell you I did get the same thing I did the day before: Sausage Breakfast Sandwich and a Grande Blonde Vanilla Latte. I don't remember what Raven got, I just know she ended up waiting longer for it so I went to find a seat. By the time Raven sat with me, I was already done with my sandwich and nearly done with my drink. There was no way I was letting a drink get in the way of us getting on a ride.

When Raven sat down, we immediately went to work on getting some FPs. Raven had let me link up our MaxPasses in the car so we could do it for both of us, no longer having to try to do it at the same time and refreshing a million times. We'd get one FP time for the both of us, heaven bless. The two big ticket attractions we had to try today were the new Mission: BREAKOUT! and Radiator Springs Racers. Mission: BREAKOUT! was one of the number one attractions I HAD to try and there was a FP coming up REALLY soon so we booked that right away. We hadn't much time so we finished our breakfasts and I was near swallowing my latte whole. I still couldn't finish during the sitting so Raven and I were off as I continued to down it. That would haunt me later considering my incredible shrinking bladder.

Eventually, after strutting our way down the long but empty Hollywoodland street, I finished my latte and happened upon this...

It was weird at first seeing Tower of Terror so not Tower of Terror but omg I had seen the pics. Yet to see it in person, didn't think I would AND HERE I WAS. I couldn't believe it. I was so unbelievably excited. Raven had added to that since she was ALL ABOUT this attraction and almost couldn't wait for me to ride it more than I could. We had no time to waste! I tossed my latte away and we ran to the FP line. I realized in opening up the Disneyland app, I could scan for both of us, which was far more efficient than both of us doing it (or at least it satisfied my control freak tendencies). Some other newbie MaxPassers were having issues so we bypassed them, scanned and went right on in.

I apologize again for the wordiness but I majorly neglected to get pics, but THIS QUEUE. I could vaguely see where the ToT queue fit under all of this having ridden Studios' version enough times, but it was still a 180 from the HTH. There was so much to look at. I was particularly drawn to the fact that my beloved purple dragon from Epcot,
Figment, was hidden in the queue. I did find him, but he is very tucked away up above all the other exhibits, which are still very cool but I HAD to find HIM.

Anyways, we weren't in the queue too too long as they quickly ushered us into line for the pre-show, which I'm not even sure what to call it anymore. Normally I'd say library and it still looks a lot like a library, but it's not. Maybe briefing room? I mean, this is where they "get" our DNA scan for security clearance. I don't know. Whatever.

Enjoy the pre-show:

Click to watch!

I was really loving the change of tone here. They really are trying not to leave any trace of what once was way way behind. Like I love ToT and always will, but it's better off being forgotten in Studios than a lowly memory wandering around DCA. I'd also heard more good than bad about Guardians (people really don't call out Mission: Breakout tbh) so I was excited.

The second half of the queue, while not as detailed and with as much to look at was still pretty cool. They even had the old yeti from the Matterhorn in here (not nearly as cool as the new one imo). It also was interesting to see that there were two levels to this queue versus the normal three that Studios has and it didn't seem to slow down load processes. I also came to discover that the actual entrance onto the ride is the same as the exit, which was quite interesting in comparison to Studios. Just more comparisons, nothing to really put one over the other so far, but things I noticed. I believe I also started saying the Tower of Terror Rod Serling spiel in the queue. Oh me!

Everything else was basically the same as the loading process for Tower. Raven & I cut the line because we were a rare party of two and luckily those are asked for a lot on Tower so we got to skip the line and were shoved in the third row. Not my favorite row but Raven said it was better for this ride.

Now, onto help Rocket and the rest of the Guardians to BREAK OUT!

Consensus... I F'ING LOVE THIS ATTRACTION OMG

Here is my immediate reaction after (don't worry it is bleeped too)...

Click to watch!

Again, it is essentially the same as Tower of Terror, but... I don't know something about this was more thrilling. They like really made the sequences make sure you're feeling those 4Gs at all times. There were definitely moments where I was weightless for longer than a minute, it was crazy. It also never stops moving, even during the show scenes where we get to see the Guardians in action. It was all so exciting and I love the fact you get a different song every time you ride. I had hoped for "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", mostly because it's the only song on the ride that's not song by a man, but it's also a bop. We ended up getting "We Got The Funk", which is still a bop and still fun. For sure, I was coming back to get the song I wanted whether today or tomorrow I was gonna get it and try to get all the songs you can possibly get. This was honestly my favorite ride of the trip thus far. It was going to be hard to top it.

I was so LIT for it, I even made Raven take extra photos of me in front of it which I almost NEVER do for an attraction but today... I was doing the thing.

After the photoshoot, we decided we should go hightail our way to get some FPs for World of Color tonight! I had been wanting to see this show for years so FPs were DEFINITELY gonna be the way to go. No crappy seats for me seeing this show for the first time. Along the way, we also quickly made some new FPs for Radiator Springs Racers, essentially covering the ground we had hoped to cover in terms of big named attractions today at DCA.

Along the way, I got to see Bugs Land, the entrance to Cars Land and Paradise Pier since the kiosk for FPs sits right between Grizzly Peak, which was basically another area shut down during our visit. It was unfortunate how DCA was near identical to DHS in both the entrance but also in how much construction is going on around it. Thank goodness they really upping their game on character M&Gs or we probably would have gone back to Disneyland for a bit, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

We got our WoC FPs no problem, even though there was a skirmish because some people didn't understand that those FPs as well as the FPs for TSM were right next to each other. We bypassed that and walked away with FPs in the Blue section. Well, we were good for the end of the night.

From there, I said I needed to get some pics with Paradise Pier. There already was a lot of scaffolding and construction walls, but you still could get a nice enough pic with all of the theming in the background so it only closed down about three days before this day. I mean, I also was really feeling it so the photoshoot vibes were sparking off BIG time. *cues Supermodel by RuPaul*

giphy.gif

I think my only critique of myself would be I should've straightened my back leg during the "using the fence as a barre" pose. Other than that...

giphy.gif

After getting all that business out of the way, it was essentially time for our FP at Radiator Springs Racers so off to Cars Land we went!

For the record, I'm not a big fan of Cars. Like I've only managed to see the first one as I thought the sequels were super unnecessary. I know I used to listen to the soundtrack for the first one a lot one summer (primarily just Sheryl Crow's "Real Gone" on repeat), but that's about all the emotional connection I have. That being said, Cars Land is pretty neat. They really went all out and made it feel like you were in the movie. All the important sites of Radiator Springs were there as well as attention to what a world run by Cars would look like. I really wanted to admire it this walkthrough so I didn't get any pics, but I promise to have more later. Just know, for my WDW vet never-been-to-DLR readers... y'all need to get over here to see this remarkable work of Disney Imagineering my goodness.

Anyways, our destination was Radiator Springs Racers and it's all the ways at the back so let's just get there. It was pretty uneventful our wait. I think it was one of the longest we had though because of how popular this ride is, even in comparison to the newer Guardians, but ya know nothing that shook us. Before long, we were off on our racing adventure in Radiator Springs.

Click to watch!

Click to watch!

And here's our pretty LIT ride photo...

First off, WE WON!

Second off, my feelings on RSR? I liked it. I didn't love it. It's a really well done attraction and another major ups for Disney Imagineers, but I expected it to be more thrilling. Test Track was essentially the prototype they had for this attraction and it goes MUCH faster. I'm not saying the current state of Test Track measures up in ANY WAY to this, but the original version of Test Track aka the LOML... I might equate it. Still, it is a really fun ride even though it's pre-programmed which side of the track will most likely win as I discovered later, but the sets they have, the animatronics and the effects... like wow, DCA you're doing amazing so far.

After we got off, Raven immediately wanted to make more FPs so we just got another for Guardians for the heck of it, but that wasn't for some time so we decided to hit up one of the smaller attractions at Cars Land. I mostly wanted to see the Red Car Trolley News Boys, however the show didn't start for awhile so we happened by Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters and decided to go ride that as it said it only had a fifteen minute wait. Why not?

Hopping in line though, we realized this was NOT a 15 minute wait. Not even close. It was more like a half hour. The inside queue was cool and we were bopping along to all of Luigi's selections. I also was in total awe of the trackless technology they had going on, but we were getting nervous. Raven told me there was only two showings during the day and one was during our second Guardians FP. It was getting closer and closer to time as we edged closer to the front of the line. When we finally got to the front, we had to make a decision because if we rode the Roadsters, we were going to miss the show and I wouldn't be able to see the Newsboys. We came to the quick conclusion as the gates opened to just go straight to the exit and book it to Buena Vista Street.

Did we make it in time? Were the Newsie boys out on time?

Stay till next time to find out!

Continued Here

Last edited:
Loving all the Drag Race references, but I also love your barre pose. It's joyful.

Sounds like you had a great time on Guardians, the one ride I am sworn not to ride. I don't do drops or heights. Just a hard pass for me. But I have great plans for character meet and greets while I send my family on it. I'm happy to hear you love it, because I think my husband probably will as well. (Hmmm... you know how I've seen Fantasmic twice and still don't know what it's about? I've also watched Guardians the first a couple of times and have know idea what the plot is. But ask me anybody on Drag Race All Stars 3 or my theories on One Direction and I can lecture for days.)

As a pre-K teacher, I can't avoid Cars and I actually found the 3rd one to be pretty good. I'm excited about that area of the park.

Can't wait to hear your review of the News Boys. I'm definitely looking for shows to help us take a break while staying in the parks, so it's on my list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter