Excursions on Freedom Eastern Caribbean

amym2

DIS Veteran
We're going on the Freedom of the Seas in late March 2015, and we'll be sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary (Coco Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten). It will be me, DH, DS13, and DD11. The kids and DH are adventurous, but I'm a wimp! We don't want to spend a ton of extra money, but I'm wondering if there are any excursions we really shouldn't miss? On St Thomas and St Maarten, are there beaches accessible from the port or do we need to take transportation to a beach? Best to do such things through an excursion or just book on our own? I love to plan trips, but I'm back to teaching full-time this year and just don't have time!

We're going on the Freedom of the Seas in late March 2015, and we'll be sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary (Coco Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten). It will be me, DH, DS13, and DD11. The kids and DH are adventurous, but I'm a wimp! We don't want to spend a ton of extra money, but I'm wondering if there are any excursions we really shouldn't miss? On St Thomas and St Maarten, are there beaches accessible from the port or do we need to take transportation to a beach? Best to do such things through an excursion or just book on our own? I love to plan trips, but I'm back to teaching full-time this year and just don't have time!

Hi Amy - my kids are the same ages except they are both girls. We are doing this same cruise at the beginning of April. I am also trying to figure out excursions. I've been reading a lot of information on Cruise Critic - have you been on there? Very similar to the DIS boards which I am now just figuring out. They have a section in there for ports of call and there are all kinds of discussions of what to do.

One thing I did learn is that there are a couple of beaches on St. Maarten that are an easy cab ride away and no excursion is necessary. It's much more affordable to grab a cab and go there. One beach is Maho and the other is Orient. One of them has the planes the fly overhead which looks pretty cool. The other one is part of a nude beach though so keep that in mind. Also in St. Maarten is a ziplining excursion that looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of doing a catamaran excursion in St.Thomas through the cruise line. Haven't finalized anything yet though!

Hi Amy - my kids are the same ages except they are both girls. We are doing this same cruise at the beginning of April. I am also trying to figure out excursions. I've been reading a lot of information on Cruise Critic - have you been on there? Very similar to the DIS boards which I am now just figuring out. They have a section in there for ports of call and there are all kinds of discussions of what to do.

One thing I did learn is that there are a couple of beaches on St. Maarten that are an easy cab ride away and no excursion is necessary. It's much more affordable to grab a cab and go there. One beach is Maho and the other is Orient. One of them has the planes the fly overhead which looks pretty cool. The other one is part of a nude beach though so keep that in mind. Also in St. Maarten is a ziplining excursion that looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of doing a catamaran excursion in St.Thomas through the cruise line. Haven't finalized anything yet though!

Thanks for the info, jewels! I actually did some research through the tripadvisor forums last night. Cruisecritic is great but always seems overwhelming to me! I think we're going to take a ferry from St. Thomas to St. John and check out the Nat'l Park Visitor Center then walk to a beach from there. I'm just on the fence about whether to book an excursion or do it on our own. We like the flexibility of going out on our own and not being tied to certain timing, but there are 5 ships in port that day and I'm wondering if the RCCL excursion would save us from dealing with crowds as much. Have you taken a RCCL cruise before? This is our first (have done Disney and Holland America). I looked at the ziplining on St Maarten also and agree that it looks like fun. I'm not great about heights, but I have ziplined before and have survived. I know the rest of my family would love it! Good luck with your planning!

We will be going on this cruise in dec 2015. I been debating on excursions!!! I think we are going to do the zip line and the sunset cruise!!!!

Thanks for the info, jewels! I actually did some research through the tripadvisor forums last night. Cruisecritic is great but always seems overwhelming to me! I think we're going to take a ferry from St. Thomas to St. John and check out the Nat'l Park Visitor Center then walk to a beach from there. I'm just on the fence about whether to book an excursion or do it on our own. We like the flexibility of going out on our own and not being tied to certain timing, but there are 5 ships in port that day and I'm wondering if the RCCL excursion would save us from dealing with crowds as much. Have you taken a RCCL cruise before? This is our first (have done Disney and Holland America). I looked at the ziplining on St Maarten also and agree that it looks like fun. I'm not great about heights, but I have ziplined before and have survived. I know the rest of my family would love it! Good luck with your planning!

We did the Freedom eastern a few years ago, and one warning I recall during my research was the timing of the ferry to St. John and back. You need to be very careful to make sure you allow enough time to get the right ferry BACK to St. Thomas. When we went, there was a significant enough gap in ferry times that meant we would have to cut our visit to St. John short by more than I wanted in order to get the ferry back, so we ended up skipping St. John.

We went to Sapphire beach instead.

We have done 2 other RCCL cruises before (the Navigator and the Allure), one Carnival and one Princess. I love all 3 cruise lines! I would love to do Disney one of these days. I'm not that great about heights either so I wonder how I'd do ziplining in St. Thomas. I did the zipline on the Allure (zipline was on the actual ship) and that one scared me but once I stepped off the platform, it was fun. I figure whatever we plan to do at any of the ports will be fun. The Caribbean is beautiful and such a nice getaway from the day to day weather back at home. I'm now trying to figure out our 3 days at WDW before the cruise. This FP+ system is overwhelming to me!

We did the Freedom eastern a few years ago, and one warning I recall during my research was the timing of the ferry to St. John and back. You need to be very careful to make sure you allow enough time to get the right ferry BACK to St. Thomas. When we went, there was a significant enough gap in ferry times that meant we would have to cut our visit to St. John short by more than I wanted in order to get the ferry back, so we ended up skipping St. John.

We went to Sapphire beach instead.

That's what always worries me about doing a non ship excursion. You can save a bundle going out on your own but I'm terrified about being late for the ship!

On St. Maarten, if you just want to go to a beach, you don't even have to take a cab. There is a ferry right at the dock, and for six dollars you get a wristband that lasts you all day. You get off at the first stop which is only about a two minute ride, and there are many beach chairs and umbrellas to use. There are also shops and restaurants right there, even the Hard Rock Café. You have a great view of the ships, and you're nice and close so that you don't have to worry about missing the boat :)

On St. Maarten, if you just want to go to a beach, you don't even have to take a cab. There is a ferry right at the dock, and for six dollars you get a wristband that lasts you all day. You get off at the first stop which is only about a two minute ride, and there are many beach chairs and umbrellas to use. There are also shops and restaurants right there, even the Hard Rock Café. You have a great view of the ships, and you're nice and close so that you don't have to worry about missing the boat :)

That sounds perfect for me! Thanks so much!

Hi Amy! I have been on 8 RCCL cruises. St. Thomas was on the itinerary many times. I have just used that port as a shopping day for the most part but if you want a beach check out Megans bay. It's really pretty. St. Maarten is my favorite island. Half the island is French and half is Dutch. I have taken two tours while on the island. Bernards tours is what I took last December. It was very easy. They will take you to Maho beach to see the planes come over the beach and Orient beach. If you have kids you might want to ask to be taken to the end of the Orient beach that is more covered up. It is a clothing optional beach. I also used a private tour operator on St. Maarten who was just a single lady with a nice van who did a personal tour of the island. She took us to an animal rescue on the island that made a special rum and crafts you could buy to help the animal rescue. We also went to a lolo for lunch. Lolo is a local restaurant that locals use. It was really good. She also took us to different lookouts that Bernards didn't take us to. The island is beautiful wherever you go except maybe on the dutch side in the city part. A little run down. Hope this info helped you. If you have any questions just let me know. Andi

Did this cruise this July with extended family, we enjoyed the Sea Blaster snorkeling, for sea turtles (I think it was St Thomas, but could have been St Martin, I'm at school now and can't check) with nephew and niece, neither of whom is a strong swimmer. They gave out pool noodles for those who wanted them besides life jackets. (going into 8th and 9th grades after cruise.) the 9th grader loved the zip lines on which ever island the Sea Blaster wasn't on.

Beach excursions are simple to do on your own and can be done with minimal cost. There are plenty of cruisers who do these beach excursions on their own. You can recognize them. They will all be standing at the taxi stand asking each other which beach they should go to.

St Thomas has lots of beaches and everyone has their favorite, which is one reason it is so overwhelming. Megans beach, sapphire beach, coki beach are some of the favorites and they can all be done on your own via taxi.

Same with St. marten. The two popular beaches are Maho and Orient. Each can be done on your own via taxi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter