Extra gear to bring along for running trips?

FelisLachesis

DIS Veteran
My last trip, which wasn't a running trip, I brought along some moleskin padding and chafing gel to the parks, and I never used them. Now with a bunch of running planned for the next trip (Dopey for her) the padding and gel will be back in the bags!

Is there any other gear that you guys bring in a marathon / half marathon weekend to Disney that you don't on trips that don't involve scheduled running?

Hat
Throw away clothes
Post race apparel (compression gear, etc.)

In addition to the other things listed.

BODY GLIDE!!! (large size for the room and small packets to stow in my SPI belt)
Multiple Pairs of Running Shoes (If it's a challenge weekend)
Big Trash Bag (something to sit on, keeps me warm and or dry)
Whatever race specific breakfast food I want.

foam roller, especially with Dopey

Shoes, I had 4 pair higher mileage trainers for the 5k/10k and 50 mile ones for the half/full.

Lesson learned this year, include cold gear regardless of what the forecast says. I was woefully unprepared for the frozen marathon but thankfully found gear at under armor the day before.

Mine is generally:
Clothes for every race + 1-2 extras
At least two pairs of running shoes if I'm running more than one race (this way if it rains I don't have to worry about shoes drying out in time)
Foot Roller (Spiky Ball)
Race Waiver and Copy of Proof of Time - I didn't see anyone else mention it but when I submit my PoT (which I assume your GF is doing for Dopey) I print it so if they don't have it at the expo I can prove it was submitted and you can't get your bib without the waver.
MP3 Player
Fuel
KT Tape (Purple!)
Throw away clothes and/or mylar blankets (per race basis)
Running Watch & Charger
Body Glide
Sugar Scrub (for post race shower)
Dr Cool Wrap

For clothes I usually prepare for different temperatures and will mix and match. My Disney go-to is usually capris, a tank, and a headband (plus under garments). For cool weather I have full length running pants (tights? leggings?), long sleeve 1/4 zip tops, thermal running leggings, light full zip running jackets, heavy full zip running jacket, a hat (I also have a hat with a brim for rain which is a must for those with glasses), a neck gaiter, and thick socks.

@DopeyBadger What were the trashbags, sharpie, and thick string for?

@DopeyBadger What were the trashbags, sharpie, and thick string for?

Sharpie and thick string was for the "DIS" sign for the meet-ups pre-race. The trash bags were for wind blocking on cold days (quite effective) or for keeping dry in rain. I put one on my body and put my feet in the other trash bags. Keeps them dry until race start which is nice. BUT, if you choose to use trash bags please please please throw them in the trash before race start not on the road because they can be a significant slipping hazard (not necessarily directed at you but just a general statement about trash bags to anyone reading).

Race Waiver and Copy of Proof of Time - I didn't see anyone else mention it but when I submit my PoT (which I assume your GF is doing for Dopey) I print it so if they don't have it at the expo I can prove it was submitted and you can't get your bib without the waver.

Waiver can be printed at the expo. I do so 3/4 of the time.

POT...you should notice the problem when the waiver emails come out for the half/full. It's appropriate to contact rundisney at that time if you think they missed something. If it's fine then there's no reason to bring it.

i like the e-Gels, and I've got a good amount of anti-chafing gel around, though I might need more. Throwaway clothes are a good idea. Does anyone know if Disney collects the clothes discarded at the start line and donate them?

Waiver can be printed at the expo. I do so 3/4 of the time.

POT...you should notice the problem when the waiver emails come out for the half/full. It's appropriate to contact rundisney at that time if you think they missed something. If it's fine then there's no reason to bring it.

She already has a PoT that was submitted with the race registration. She is running a 10 mile race in a couple of weekends, so if that time looks good, I may update her POT (if her time is bad, I may "ignore" it :D)

I heard the line for waiver printing at the expo could be long. I think for her and me, we just want to get in, grab the bibs, get out.

i like the e-Gels, and I've got a good amount of anti-chafing gel around, though I might need more. Throwaway clothes are a good idea. Does anyone know if Disney collects the clothes discarded at the start line and donate them?

Yes, they do.

And if no one mentioned it....blister bandaids (as opposed to just regular ones) can be a godsend after a race. (There is a spot in heaven for the runner staying at the BC who gave me two after my first marathon--saved me a painful drive to the drug store to by them!) Also, in the way of toss clothes, I have used knee socks with the foot cut off/opened up as arm warmers. They're easier to pull off and toss than another layer.

Something else to think about is what to carry on and what to check. I always carry on what I plan to race it. Shoes, socks, clothes, gels, etc. Check your backups. You don't want to get to a destination race and deal with lost luggage containing your race gear. Most things can be bought at the expo in an emergency but I wouldn't want to do that with shoes.

I also try to leave a full 24 hours of extra time. I would never plan to arrive on a Friday for a Saturday race for example. If something goes wrong and you are delayed you may miss packet pickup.

I also try to leave a full 24 hours of extra time. I would never plan to arrive on a Friday for a Saturday race for example. If something goes wrong and you are delayed you may miss packet pickup.

Oh yeah, we already baked that into our trip. We check in on the 2nd, so that way, we can Expo the 3rd, and race the rest of the weekend. If something happens the 2nd, we still got that extra day to get there.

Don't forget the ibuprofen (just in case). Also, I like to take my earplugs to drown out noise the night before. Sorry if those were mentioned before and I just missed them. I'm lurking on the boards to prepare for my first Disney race :D

Last edited:
Don't forget the ibuprofen (just in case). Also, I like to take my earplugs to drown out noise the night before. Sorry if those were mentioned before and I just missed them. I'm lurking on the boards to prepare for my first Disney race :D

Yup yup! Thank you!

I'm funny with earplugs. Growing up, my house was next to a local bus depot, so it got fairly noisy at night. I can sleep in most any situation (I've once slept through an earthquake. Granted it was only 1.4 on the Richter scale, but still). I actually find it harder to sleep with earplugs in my ears. That sensation is worse than any ambient noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter