Face mask policy & children with autism

I live a cross from a primary dr and she told me if you can blow out a candle with the mask it is not a good one. Just if someone wanted to know if there mask was a good mask for protection
Yes, good test! And also want to point out that some masks may seem too see-through at first, but may have a filter pocket. Once the filter is inserted, the mask is no longer see-through.

Yes, good test! And also want to point out that some masks may seem too see-through at first, but may have a filter pocket. Once the filter is inserted, the mask is no longer see-through.
I got a mask yesterday that is somewhat see thought it dose have a filter insert in it I have not tried to blow out a candle or not with ot without the filter in but goood point about filter

I was thinking of the MAW village and all the good work they do there. Maybe Disney could arrange for one day, one park a month or something to be for MAW? I know it would cut into their already lower profits, but maybe they have a heart beating in there somewhere?

this sounds like a beautiful idea... except, this also sounds like it would be difficult to manage safely without risking exposure for an already immunocompromised group of people and their traveling parties.

I am in a high risk category and while I don’t mind masks for errands, I know I won’t be at WDW until it is safe for me to be. While it’s disappointing, I’m also an adult and fully responsible to act in my own best interest. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for parents of children for whom the best decision is to not go for right now, as this is not something most children understand in the same way. My heart goes out to all of you.

I am very sad fthat so many people lack compassion for those with disabilities that truly cannot wear a mask, such as children with autism/sensory issues or people with true breathing problems. Most people on these forums say they wear a mask "for others" and that wearing a mask shows you are a kind and compassionate person. No, you are not wearing a mask because you are selfless. You are actually expecting something in return which is that others will wear a mask for you, because you are fearful.
I'm Autistic and I wear a mask because Autistic people are JUST AS CAPABALE of typical people in protecting public health. Disabled people worked HARD for something even approaching equal access to public community, education, and vocational options. Equal access means equal responsibility. Anyone with public access has the responsibility to protect public safety. I cannot endanger public health, hit someone, push someone, threaten someone, touch other people's food, put my dirty shoes on them, get out of a moving ride vehicle, or ignore safety regulations and then say it is because of my Autism. As an Autistic adult, I have the SAME rights and responsibilities as other adults. Growing up, my parents taught me I had the SAME responsibilities as my typically developing sister. They were accepting of me and fine if I did things in my own way though. When the mask thing started, me and my sensory concerns started working it out. I live indepdently and work full time. I have to wear a mask. I also recognize that ADA makes no exemptions to that mask policy (can use a reasonable alternative like curbside delivery). I tried things until I found something that worked. Autistic people wear pants and shirts and underwear. Most of us have had sensory issues with those too. Turns out, we wear most clothes because of social norms and businesses can easily require them. The one piece of clothing that is for safety (or maybe shoes could also be counted as safety) is somehow the one everyone is fighting over about sensory issues. The more equivalent thing is to compare masks to seatbelts. When you get into a car, you don't know if you will be in an accident. You are actually more likely right now to get covid-19 than be in an accident. But it sounds crazy to tell a cop that your child is not wearing a seatbelt at all because they are Autistic and don't like how they feel. We put those precious little ones in seatbelts because we love them. And parents work hard to find something that works because they love them. Masks got super political really fast. It really is like a seatbelt though. I don't know if there will be a threat today when I go out, but there might be. So as a responsible adult, I wear my mask. As a child, I had to wear pants and underwear and a seatbelt. Even though I was Autistic. And we found a way to make it work. I know I can't make a mask work in the Florida summer heat, so I'm not going. I know I can probably do it in the winter and may go.

Also, I don't need your compassion because I am Autistic (although all people need compassion). Honestly, neither do the other Autistic people I know. We need your advocacy and support. In a pandemic, that means helping to find real SOLUTIONS, not pity. It's not compassionate to say that because something is more challenging for me, I should be exempt from public health policies. It reinforces the view that Autistic people are less capable of protecting public health and making good decisions. Most Autistic adults i know have found a solution. In fact, most of us are thriving because things are less crowded, no one is touching us, we just made shaking hands more obsolete, and now I don't have to go to a crowded overstimulating movie theater to see Mulan (which I would not have done since I can't handle the sensory so I would have had to wait). If you know someone who is Autistic help them find a real solution. Bonus points if you ask them if they need help or what could help them instead of assuming that you know. That builds autonomy and independence and problem-solving skills. It creates a great model for them for when they are Autistic adults.

Last edited:

I'm Autistic and I wear a mask because Autistic people are JUST AS CAPABALE of typical people in protecting public health. Disabled people worked HARD for something even approaching equal access to public community, education, and vocational options. Equal access means equal responsibility. Anyone with public access has the responsibility to protect public safety. I cannot endanger public health, hit someone, push someone, threaten someone, touch other people's food, put my dirty shoes on them, get out of a moving ride vehicle, or ignore safety regulations and then say it is because of my Autism. As an Autistic adult, I have the SAME rights and responsibilities as other adults. Growing up, my parents taught me I had the SAME responsibilities as my typically developing sister. They were accepting of me and fine if I did things in my own way though. When the mask thing started, me and my sensory concerns started working it out. I live indepdently and work full time. I have to wear a mask. I also recognize that ADA makes no exemptions to that mask policy (can use a reasonable alternative like curbside delivery). I tried things until I found something that worked. Autistic people wear pants and shirts and underwear. Most of us have had sensory issues with those too. Turns out, we wear most clothes because of social norms and businesses can easily require them. The one piece of clothing that is for safety (or maybe shoes could also be counted as safety) is somehow the one everyone is fighting over about sensory issues. The more equivalent thing is to compare masks to seatbelts. When you get into a car, you don't know if you will be in an accident. You are actually more likely right now to get covid-19 than be in an accident. But it sounds crazy to tell a cop that your child is not wearing a seatbelt at all because they are Autistic and don't like how they feel. We put those precious little ones in seatbelts because we love them. And parents work hard to find something that works because they love them. Masks got super political really fast. It really is like a seatbelt though. I don't know if there will be a threat today when I go out, but there might be. So as a responsible adult, I wear my mask. As a child, I had to wear pants and underwear and a seatbelt. Even though I was Autistic. And we found a way to make it work. I know I can't make a mask work in the Florida summer heat, so I'm not going. I know I can probably do it in the winter and may go.

Also, I don't need your compassion because I am Autistic (although all people need compassion). Honestly, neither do the other Autistic people I know. We need your advocacy and support. In a pandemic, that means helping to find real SOLUTIONS, not pity. It's not compassionate to say that because something is more challenging for me, I should be exempt from public health policies. It reinforces the view that Autistic people are less capable of protecting public health and making good decisions. Most Autistic adults i know have found a solution. In fact, most of us are thriving because things are less crowded, no one is touching us, we just made shaking hands more obsolete, and now I don't have to go to a crowded overstimulating movie theater to see Mulan (which I would not have done since I can't handle the sensory so I would have had to wait). If you know someone who is Autistic help them find a real solution. Bonus points if you ask them if they need help or what could help them instead of assuming that you know. That builds autonomy and independence and problem-solving skills. It creates a great model for them for when they are Autistic adults.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Thank you so much for posting this. My niece is also autistic and the whole family has worked very hard to have her be able to function in society. From the beginning we treated her like any other of our children and did not take autism as an excuse for bad behavior. She also has found a mask that she can wear because it is required for school.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Thank you so much for posting this. My niece is also autistic and the whole family has worked very hard to have her be able to function in society. From the beginning we treated her like any other of our children and did not take autism as an excuse for bad behavior. She also has found a mask that she can wear because it is required for school.
If you haven't, do a Google search and TedTalks search for the term "neurodiversity". This is the movement from Autistic adults about our own neurology, rights, and culture!

If you haven't, do a Google search and TedTalks search for the term "neurodiversity". This is the movement from Autistic adults about our own neurology, rights, and culture!

Omg...you are awesome!

We only figured out I was on the spectrum when my daughter was diagnosed (why no one, myself included ever realized having to occasionally hide out somewhere rocking back and forth after being overwhelmed should have been a big flag 🤷‍♀️)

So I guess consequently I really struggle when people speak for autistic people not having any clue how our minds work. If anything, we really understand the need for masks. We are very black and white, and extremely conscious of the need for rules. It drives me nutso when non divergent people use autistic people as their excuse for an exception. Most of us will try every thing we possibly can!!

a few tips for those still looking for calm break spots...we were at animal kingdom today and found that the seating near harambe market was a very nice place for a break, and there is also a very tiny place with fans and 4 tables set back on a little path near there across from the tree of life.(So a few extra options in addition to the relaxation stations) I believe there are tables back in dinoland too.
Highly recommend mini personal fans too!

At Epcot there are a few shady benches in the back of UK. Very quiet! And you might get a sneak peek of Alice. As long as you are stationary you can stop back there for water and a sensory break. Our daughter had such an awesome socially distanced meet and greet! (And I got a break!)

Also are we allowed to suggest a mask variety? (We found one very breathable with soft adjustable straps I can recommend that might work for those with mild sensory issues. Ours are mild though, so I don’t know how well they will work if yours are more extreme)

An interesting note -- valved N95 despite the valve performs as well as the cotton masks.
I've been saying this for a while now. The main mode of action is not 'filtering' the droplets and particles being breathed out. The goal is simply to change that exhale's direction abruptly or force it through choke-points in order to condense the smaller droplets into larger heavier ones and to floculate ($2 word) the particles a bit into heavier bundles and if possible also slow everything down a bit or aim it downwards so it hits the earth sooner.

Valved filtering masks have become something of a pariah, which is sad because my favorite disposable N95 has an exhale valve. The exhale port is also shielded by 2-ply breathable fabric (skipping the filter element) but that covering is on the inside of the mask so no one sees it. And in places where they have a rule about valved masks, showing that there is a protective cover on the port doesn't usually change their minds anyway. My sister in law actually was stopped on her way into a mall, so she put a cloth mask over top of the N95 and they still wouldn't let her in until she removed the N95 mask.

They lost my respect for their study with two points - they used a single cellphone camera to base their data, and there's no way a fleece covering over the mouth would make more droplets than what your mouth puts out uncovered. Where are the extra droplets coming from?
I posted a week or so ago about a similar method I used to test masks. I exhale a lung full of plain vape through the mask along the beam of a laser pointer with a plain wall as backdrop. With a modern cellphone set to fixed focus, the resolution of individual points along the beam is pretty impressive. I used a computer program to simply count the amount of visible green in each region of the frame, but particle size and density can be measured as well.

I am very sad fthat so many people lack compassion for those with disabilities that truly cannot wear a mask, such as children with autism/sensory issues or people with true breathing problems. Most people on these forums say they wear a mask "for others" and that wearing a mask shows you are a kind and compassionate person. No, you are not wearing a mask because you are selfless. You are actually expecting something in return which is that others will wear a mask for you, because you are fearful.
Even among the most fervent pro-maskers, nobody is celebrating the discomfort or the disenfranchisement of the disabled and ill. Or almost nobody anyway. The problem is, this issue breaks pretty cleanly along ideological lines and the vast majority of the people fighting against wearing masks have no physiological basis for doing so. Conditions that preclude wearing a mask afflict a few percent of the population.

Do you really think there would be this level of conflict over a half dozen maskless shoppers a day at the grocery store? There wouldn't be. We would all just assume that person has a condition, give them a bit of extra room, ant ... and not think much more about it. Instead, going maskless has become a political statement during a time when there are, literally, a thousand of my countrymen dying from this virus EVERY DAY.

There is a lot of frustration on both sides of the issue, and as a pro-mask person I will be the first to call out pro-maskers who display a lack of civility. But, as I see it, where compassion is lacking most is for the men and women scraping by who cannot work from home and the degree to which they are exposed to this virus is at the whim of the rest of us. And the teachers who are being voted back into classrooms by parents who want their kids out of the house. And police and civil servants who encounter us, en masse.

Yes, to deny a 4 or 5 year old (or even older) child with autism the Disney experience because of their disability is very sad to me. Can't we be compassionate as a nation? Thankfully I am not in that situation but I truly feel for families that are. Should these children just remain at home? If schools are providing exceptions for these children then Disney should too IMO.
In Idaho, even the legally blind have the right to carry a concealed pistol. Think about that. I'm actually very pro-2nd amendment for a progressive. But a person ... who is incapable of knowing for certain what they are aiming at... in Idaho... still may carry a pistol out on the public streets ... of Idaho.

Where am I going with that? Some people, through no fault of their own, sometimes shouldn't get to do everything they want. By "sometimes" I mean when doing so puts other people's lives at risk.

I get it. I want to go to WDW so bad right now. I went from visiting 1-2 times a month to nothing for the last 6 months, but we have an immune compromised in our household and the risk is too much right now mask or not. And my wonderful friend actually moved to Florida years ago to be closer to WDW, and now she's stuck in Michigan with me. We all want a return to normalcy.

But to get there, we need to get the active cases down. To do that, a lot more of us need to put a mask on.

Costco is selling its pseudo '02cool' branded kids masks and they are super comfortable and made of a cooling fabric. Not 100% certain they conform to the Disney requirements (haven't checked what they are) but for everyday use, my sensory seeking kids love them! Bright colors too, $10 for 4! ;o)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter