FAFSA questions

Skywalker3

DIS Veteran
Hi, New to the budget board, but have enjoyed many threads here. Not sure if this topic fits here, but I have a few questions about FAFSA, and how one's mortgage or home equity is counted, or if it is counted. I'm working hard to put extra money on our mortgage, to hopefully pay off early, but will that work against us on FAFSA considerations? We have a junior, and do not have much of a college fund at this point, not much at all....so, working on that as best we can. Plan to take advantage of our in state programs, and hoping she'll be planning to stay in state, state school, and working, but either way, we'll be utilizing FAFSA. I'm wondering if I should keep paying extra on the mortgage, or put towards something else? Most of my friends either have kids who went to college many years back, FAFSA was much different then, or have younger kids like ours now, so not a lot of experience with how it is currently. Any advice?

Last edited:
Your primary house is not factored into FAFSA. Nor any retirement.

Money sitting in savings in theory can hurt you as FAFSA says should use for college. But even then it has to be high to matter as they don’t look until it reaches a certain level.

If attending a private school it may factor into CSS profile but I am only familiar with state colleges.

Your primary house is not factored into FAFSA. Nor any retirement.

Money sitting in savings in theory can hurt you as FAFSA says should use for college. But even then it has to be high to matter as they don’t look until it reaches a certain level.

If attending a private school it may factor into CSS profile but I am only familiar with state colleges.
Retirement deferrals absolutely must be reported on FAFSA. Look at FAFSA lines 44A through 44J (for the student) and 92A through 92I (for the parents) .

https://studentaid.gov/sites/default/files/2020-21-fafsa.pdf

Last edited:

you are incorrect. Only retirement that is cashed out and not taxed is listed on the fafsa. Retirement accounts are not included in assets.
With all due respect look at line 92. It clearly states you have to report money you deferred, not money cashed out.
Here is line 92.
Payments to tax-deferred pension and retirement savings plans (paid directly or withheld from earnings), including, but not limited to, amounts reported on the W-2 forms in Boxes 12a through 12d, codes D, E, F, G, H and S. Don’t include amounts reported in code DD (employer contributions toward employee health benefits). b. IRA deductions and payments to self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh and other qualified plans from IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1—total of lines 28 + 32.

Anyone with questions please look at line 92 on the form (link below)
Or
If your child is still in High School and has a counselor that specializes in Financial Aid, talk to them.
Or
If your child is doing College Campus visits schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor
Or
If your child has accepted a College offer or is already enrolled, talk to the Financial Aid office. They deal with FAFSA on a regular basis

https://studentaid.gov/sites/default/files/2020-21-fafsa.pdf

Last edited:
With all due respect look at line 92. It clearly states you have to report money you deferred, not money cashed out.
Here is line 92.
Payments to tax-deferred pension and retirement savings plans (paid directly or withheld from earnings), including, but not limited to, amounts reported on the W-2 forms in Boxes 12a through 12d, codes D, E, F, G, H and S. Don’t include amounts reported in code DD (employer contributions toward employee health benefits). b. IRA deductions and payments to self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh and other qualified plans from IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1—total of lines 28 + 32.
As I understand it, that’s only the payments that year, not the total assets held in the retirement accounts.

As I understand it, that’s only the payments that year, not the total assets held in the retirement accounts.
That is correct. The contributions. But that can be up to $19,000 a year per person, $38,000 for a married couple, so it is no small sum of money

That is correct. The contributions. But that can be up to $19,000 a year per person, $38,000 for a married couple, so it is no small sum of money
True. But it’s not really to gauge how much is in retirement accounts, but to have an accurate picture of family income for the year. I’ve found that many people are concerned about how to frame their investments so as not to impact financial aid. But the biggest factor in determining EFC is family income. So for high earners, that’ll propel EFC high regardless of where their investments are placed.

do a google search under IFAP 2020-2021 handbook. it will bring up the federal website and the most current handbook for CURRENT student aid rules/calculations. there are books you can buy for parents/students online or at bookstores but this website has the downloadable handbooks and instructions that are used by financial aid counselors at the federal level and at the colleges.

that said-the rules change year to year so don't count on this year's rules being in affect when your junior starts their freshman year of college. also-look to see if your individual state has any special financial aid programs. some like mine have more generous allowances for parental holdings than the feds to encourage in state grads to stay in state for college.

p.s.-rather than rely on information from folks on the internet you might call one of your in state colleges and speak to a financial aid counselor or call the folks at the fed 800 number. they can be much more accurate about your individual situation b/c there are obscure rules that can apply to some that others have never heard of-that was the case with my kids and had i not checked with the feds to question how to report one of our source incomes i never would have learned it fell under an obscure exemption and our kids would have lost out on 10's of thousands of dollars in grants per year (and we were also in the situation where we had paid off our mortgage early as well-it had no impact at that point in time).

True. But it’s not really to gauge how much is in retirement accounts, but to have an accurate picture of family income for the year. I’ve found that many people are concerned about how to frame their investments so as not to impact financial aid. But the biggest factor in determining EFC is family income. So for high earners, that’ll propel EFC high regardless of where their investments are placed.
And the Expected Family Contribution can blow your mind how large it is. Especially for middle class folks like me who had a child go to school at a State University. I don't recall what the tuition was as she graduated 6 years ago, but currently it is $7,400 and my EFC was several times that amount. But FAFSA does open the door to loans and other financial assistance that is not tied to income

And the Expected Family Contribution can blow your mind how large it is. Especially for middle class folks like me who had a child go to school at a State University. I don't recall what the tuition was as she graduated 6 years ago, but currently it is $7,400 and my EFC was several times that amount. But FAFSA does open the door to loans and other financial assistance that is not tied to income

Your second statement depends on the college. My youngest's college has two types of aid - need based, which requires a FAFSA, and merit, which does not. We haven't bothered filling out the FAFSA since her applications (we filled it out then because some schools she was applying to required it as part of the application - you could come from a family of tech billionaires and they'd still want a FAFSA - although I suspect a building sized donation might waive the requirement for paperwork).

EFCs ARE high. The government starts with the assumption that its taken you eighteen years to raise this kid with the awareness college is coming and that you saved something - they then take your current income to figure out how much you should have been saving for the past few decades - this can make it really difficult if your income jumped significantly just as your kids hit high school. They do this without much regard for your expenses during those eighteen years. Moreover, middle class parents should be prepared that the aid package offered by the federal government will consistent mostly of LOANS - federal grants have low qualification thresholds. Plus, perhaps work study. Parents should also know that being qualified for work study jobs on a FAFSA does not mean a job will be available to your kid at college. At my youngest's school, getting a work study job is competitive and a lot of students never make any work study money. Individual colleges may stack more money - needs based or merit based, on top of the federal money. And while its possible to go back to a school and ask for more, it doesn't always work. I know of one school where I've heard a lot of parents/students say "that was our first choice, but they wouldn't budge on the financial package."

The last thing to be aware of is that merit scholarships will often require a student to maintain a GPA. Watch what that requirement is. Keeping a 2.67 your first year is way easier than keeping a 3.25. And college, and being away from home, getting ill, facing hundreds of pages of reading or papers with high expectations, and your great student can find that 3.25 is hard to keep.

You can find FAFSA estimators online which will give you an idea of how much to even sweat this. If your income is high or you saved a bunch of money, it isn't going to make any difference.

(I'd hang onto the cash, it will count against you for FAFSA, but since you will be qualifying for subsidized loans (most likely) under FAFSA (if you aren't like tvguy or me and find that you qualify for nothing at all - we 'helpfully' got a suggestion to use a private bank for a private parental loan) its really a matter of "do you want a bigger mortgage loan or student loans." One way or the other, you'll need the tuition in hand to pay the bill. My mortgage has a low rate and I write it off on my taxes and its mine, not my students. But my attitude is part of my parental responsibility is to pay for college - the kids having student loans would be a last resort for us.).

True. We are a one-earner family with four kids. I about fell off my chair when I saw the EFC for our oldest. I sincerely thought they accidentally added an extra digit. He has an excellent merit scholarship, thankfully, so it didn’t really matter. But I was astonished at what my family “could” be expected to provide.

True. We are a one-earner family with four kids. I about fell off my chair when I saw the EFC for our oldest. I sincerely thought they accidentally added an extra digit. He has an excellent merit scholarship, thankfully, so it didn’t really matter. But I was astonished at what my family “could” be expected to provide.
My kids High School College Counselor used to say to expect your EFC to be about 26% of your GROSS (not take home) pay.

Five kids, one income, just offered the federal loans, even with 2 in college.

... hoping she'll be planning to stay in state, state school ...
It's okay to set limits on what you're willing /able to pay. It's okay to say, "You need to choose an in-state school, and we can help with four years (not five or six)." Or whatever you deem appropriate. It's not wrong NOT to hand your 18-year old a four-year blank check, especially since you say you don't have a lot stashed away for college.
The government starts with the assumption that its taken you eighteen years to raise this kid with the awareness college is coming and that you saved something
Yes, this is key. That EFC isn't about what you're earning this year; it's assuming you've been putting money away for 18 years.

Yes, this is key. That EFC isn't about what you're earning this year; it's assuming you've been putting money away for 18 years.
True, but the formula only looks at one year’s income. Therefore, there are assumptions about how long that family has had that income to be able to save/contribute that much money to school.

. Therefore, there are assumptions about how long that family has had that income to be able to save/contribute that much money to school.
Boy that's a topic that could be debated for decades. We have the freedom to spend money where we want. And you don't have to watch too many of those financial shows like "Until Debt Do We Part" to learn that too many people have the income to save but made a decision not to,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter