Falling into the Disney Rabbit Hole! - A first family trip - Feb 2020

Isabelle12345

DIS Veteran
Hi all Disney fans!
I have been following the Dis for the past 6 months (recently converted to the Disney addiction!) and it has become my new obsession!

I am in the process of planning our first REAL Disney trip and after reading many TR (BTW thanks so much to everyone who shares their vacation stories, tips and tricks! It is soooo helpful!), I felt like it would be helpful for me to put this in words and hearing other people’s opinions on my plans! Even if it’s just me, It will help me organize my thoughts!

So let’s start with the basics:

Who:

Me, mother of two wonderful children, French-Canadian from Quebec, recently converted to Disney Mania! (So sorry if my English is sometimes a little rough... « excuse my French »!)
I have been to Disney twice as a child and have wonderful memories from those trips. I had a little taste of Disney last March and June (more on that later) and... well... I fell in love. Head over heels fell in love with everything Disney related.
And now we are planning a 6-night vacation to WDW and I couldn’t be happier!!!

DH: he has been to Disney once as a child but doesn't remember much. I didn’t think he would be that much into it but he has loved both of our (very short) trips and can’t stop telling people how Disney is awesome! (He actually surprised me by saying he could stay in WDW for a month and still not be bored... wow! But watch out DH, I might just take your word on that!!)

DS4, who will be 5 at the time of the trip. He loves everything Disney related, Pixar, Mickey and even old-school disney movies (right now he is obsessed with Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp!) He is thankfully not into Marvel or Star Wars yet (neither are my DH and I), loves ALL Disney movies and characters... and even likes his princesses! He surprised us by being much more brave than we thought he would be with rides! He is an amazing big brother to DD2, very protective, and loves spending time together with his family! He tells us regularly that he really hopes to go back to Disney some time soon! (Don’t worry son, it’s coming!)

DD2, we are actually planning this trip right before she turns 3. She loves all Disney movies too, especially the princesses (Rapunzel seems to be her favorite, although Ariel and Jasmine are close seconds!), and she is our little daredevil! She loves her big brother and I know that simply spending time together as a family will be amazing for her!

My parents, grandma and grandpa. They always wanted to go back to Disney with grandkids so they jumped on the opportunity. Unfortunately they have a work meeting during that week (and it was really the only week that fit for us), and so they will be coming only for the first half of our stay.

Where:
Split Stay, 3 night Pop and 3 nights AOA.
I really wanted to go to AOA for the theming for my kids, but my mom had heard such nice things about Pop that she insisted to go there. Unfortunately a family suite at AOA was not an option for us (my mom takes immunosuppressors so sharing an accommodation with two young kids in February is just too risky for germs!) so we decided on a split stay. The refurbished rooms at Pop are indeed a major plus for us (queen beds, nice looks, etc), the sky liner should be fun, and AOA is right next door so the split stay shouldn’t be too complicated, so we are happy how it turned out!

When: Feb 22-28 at Disney, then 4 nights in a beach condo in Fort Lauderdale to relax and get over the Disney exhaustion that we anticipate! (And help deal with post Disney depression, making a smoother transition between Disney high and reality!)

How: flying direct Montreal-Orlando, Magical Express, renting a car the last day in Orlando to drive to Fort Lauderdale!

Initial plan - Park Days:
Day 1 (arrival day): landing in MCO at 10:30, resort/DS day (or ADR for dinner)
Day 2 (Sunday): MK
Day 3 (Monday): AK
Day 4 (Tuesday): HS (late start, ADR for lunch, leave around 2-3 PM)
Day 5 (Wednesday): Epcot
Day 6 (Thursday): MK
Day 7 (Friday) HS morning, ADR for lunch, leave around 1PM

Why:
Well that’s a long story... coming in the next post!

So how did I fall into that rabbit hole...
Last winter was really cold and depressing in Quebec. My DH suggested that we try and fit a trip down south while DD was still one (and therefore we didn’t need to pay for her flight)
We were looking for resorts in the Caribbean but couldn’t find a good deal. Then I stumbled upon very cheap flights to Orlando and I thought this might just be a nice relaxing vacation!

Like many people who haven’t been to Disney for a while, I thought my kids were « way too young for Disney » (at least that’s what everybody around me said) so I though we might just relax at the pool, and maybe visit Seaworld (my kids love animals). I got a great deal on 2-day tickets for Seaworld/Busch Gardens so we got that (looking back, that probably wasn’t the best move, but we still had a blast and it was a good test before the real thing!).

So just for fun, I started looking for info on Disney... and I was hooked. Since we had already bought tickets for Seaworld, I decided that we would go to Disney next year and maybe just do a Disney character meal and explore resorts while we were there. We rented a condo at The Grove Resort and we loved it.

But obviously, being in Orlando and being surrounded by everything Disney, I just couldn’t resist. I convinced my DH that we should go to MK on our last day, and I would get an AP for free parking, next year’s tickets and memory maker, and discounts, so it would be an investment for next year.

It was the most MAGICAL day ever. I just can’t say how much I loved loved loved everything about it. Seeing the magic in my kids eyes, meeting characters, doing It’s a Small world and Under the Sea and Buzz and Dumbo and everything... it was a dream come true. I got bit by the Disney bug, and I got bit hard. We even made it back after an afternoon resort break (off-site!) for Happily ever after, and WOW! This was Soooo worth it!

Can’t wait to see that one again in a few months!!!

Last edited:

Our ADR window is opening soon and therefore I have started making tentative plans:

Day 1 (arrival day): resort/DS day
Lunch at Pop
Thinking of Storybook dining at Artist point for an early dinner? (4:30-5:00)
Any thoughts? Will this be too intense as a first character meal for a two-year-old? (Is the Evil queen scary to kids?)
I would try to use a Minnie Van to get there and then take the boat to MK then bus to Pop
...I don’t think we are going to get it anyways but a girl can dream!
Other plan may be to get QS at Disney Springs if we feel like doing that and keep our options open

BOG lunch (11:30)
QS for dinner (Pecos Bill or Columbia Harbour House)

Tusker House for lunch? (11:30)
(although I really want to try Satu’li Canteen and Flame Tree Barbecue so I think we will keep this a QS day)

Day 4 (Tuesday): HS
Hollywood and Vine For lunch (12:00)
AOA Resort food court for dinner

Akershus lunch (12:00)
Dinner at QS around World Showcase (maybe try to snack around the world?)

This is where I am hesitant because I want to see the parade and leave afterwards... but my kids can’t do a full day so I am thinking a character meal may be too much
Right now hesitating between Crystal Palace late breakfast (10:45) or Chef Mickey lunch (12:00) or just doing quick service (maybe take a break on the monorail and lunch at Captain Cook at the Poly?)
Dinner at the food court at AOA

Day 7 (Friday) HS
Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria del Forno (very excited for that one!) last reservation (11:45) and leave Disney on that high note!

I think we will get the Disney Dining plan, share credits with my parents the first 3 days (can we still do that?) and then putting more character meals in the last few days...
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Will this be too intense as a first character meal for a two-year-old? (Is the Evil queen scary to kids?)

The evil queen doesn't come to your table, you go to her. So, if your 2 year old is nervous, she can stay back a bit. That said, she is by no means an over the top villain. She mostly stares haughtily which is probably more intimidating than anything else. I'd go for it if your kids like snow White because the dwarfs were a hoot.

I think we will get the Disney Dining plan, share credits with my parents the first 3 days (can we still do that?) and then putting more character meals in the last few days...

For QS, you would either buy for them or let them look into your mde to mobile order. Those are easy to share and the adult and kid QS credits aren't separate so you don't have to buy kids meals if that's not what people want.

For TS, you can generally use your credits to cover someone else's meal, but adult and kid are separate. If you do it, you'll end up with weird extra kid credits that you can convert to QS after you've used your QS up.

I think your problem is going to be the split stay. You'll only get your first set of credits when your parents are there, so you can only use 6 adult credits between Storybook and Tusker (unless you skip Tusker, leaving you 2 adult credits on that reservation).

Also, because it's a split stay, you have to use all credits on the first account by midnight on checkout day or they expire. And, you have to finish off all of those credits before you start the next plan's worth.

Are your parents coming to H&V on your HS day? If not, and you skip Tusker, you can use the remaining 2 adult credits from the old plan on H&V. Then, you'd have to use or burn all remaining QS, snacks, and the kid TS credit hanging around from when you shared with the grands.

If your parents are coming to H&V, you have an issue you where the Pop DDP won't have enough credits to cover H&V but you won't be able to access the AoA credits to make up the shortage. Also, that's one of only a handful of restaurants on property that give people trouble for sharing credits the way you want to.

Right now hesitating between Crystal Palace late breakfast (10:45) or Chef Mickey lunch (12:00)

I'd go CP. The Winnie the Pooh characters include a few you can't meet regularly, you don't have to go all way out of the park, and the late breakfast means you'll get access to lunch food on the buffet, too. Best of both worlds.

Our ADR window is opening soon and therefore I have started making tentative plans:

Day 1 (arrival day): resort/DS day
Lunch at Pop
Thinking of Storybook dining at Artist point for an early dinner? (4:30-5:00)
Any thoughts? Will this be too intense as a first character meal for a two-year-old? (Is the Evil queen scary to kids?)
I would try to use a Minnie Van to get there and then take the boat to MK then bus to Pop
...I don’t think we are going to get it anyways but a girl can dream!
Other plan may be to get QS at Disney Springs if we feel like doing that and keep our options open

BOG lunch (11:30)
QS for dinner (Pecos Bill or Columbia Harbour House)

Tusker House for lunch? (11:30)
(although I really want to try Satu’li Canteen and Flame Tree Barbecue so I think we will keep this a QS day)

Hollywood and Vine For lunch (12:00)
AOA Resort food court for dinner

Akershus lunch (12:00)
Dinner at QS around World Showcase (maybe try to snack around the world?)

This is where I am hesitant because I want to see the parade and leave afterwards... but my kids can’t do a full day so I am thinking a character meal may be too much
Right now hesitating between Crystal Palace late breakfast (10:45) or Chef Mickey lunch (12:00) or just doing quick service (maybe take a break on the monorail and lunch at Captain Cook at the Poly?)
Dinner at the food court at AOA

Day 7 (Friday) HS
Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria del Forno (very excited for that one!) last reservation (11:45) and leave Disney on that high note!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Bonjour from New Brunswick 🇨🇦 ! Your plans look great.
Are you on the dining plan? If so - I highly recommend Tony’s Parade Package. You get an appetizer, main course, dessert and tickets to watch the parade from a special area. It’s a great deal for one credit and we always love our meals there (even though it doesn’t get a lot of love around here!)

Storybook Dining was a highlight of our trip last year. I would try and make it work in your plans if you can. My youngest DD was nervous of the evil queen so she just didn’t go up to meet her. But she loved dopey, grumpy and Snow White. The food was really good, too!

Thanks you so much for taking the time to read and share your thoughts!!! I appreciate it so much!!!

The evil queen doesn't come to your table, you go to her. So, if your 2 year old is nervous, she can stay back a bit.

That’s very helpful, thanks! I will definitely try to get a reservation and if I can’t at the beginning of my window, I will set up an ADR reservation request on TP

Are your parents coming to H&V on your HS day? If not, and you skip Tusker, you can use the remaining 2 adult credits from the old plan on H&V.

This is exactly what I was planning!

Then, you'd have to use or burn all remaining QS, snacks, and the kid TS credit hanging around from when you shared with the grands.

Thanks for explaining, I wasn’t quite sure how this works with a split stay! It’s good to know!

I'd go CP. The Winnie the Pooh characters include a few you can't meet regularly, you don't have to go all way out of the park, and the late breakfast means you'll get access to lunch food on the buffet, too. Best of both worlds.

Thank you for that! I was leaning towards CP but I read such mixed reviews... but it may be easier than trying and get out of the park!

I highly recommend Tony’s Parade Package. You get an appetizer, main course, dessert and tickets to watch the parade from a special area. It’s a great deal for one credit and we always love our meals there (even though it doesn’t get a lot of love around here!)

Hello, fellow Canadian!
Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know this was available, will definitely take a closer look!

Storybook Dining was a highlight of our trip last year. I would try and make it work in your plans if you can.

Thanks, after hearing both your comments I will definitely try!

I have to say it feels great to be able to have someone else’s opinion on my plans... DH has no clue, and none of my friends/family have been to Disney in the past 5 years...
Thank you Dis friends!!! You make me feel happy!

In terms of actual touring, I am also trying to come up with a plan.
My kids are early risers (by early, I mean early! This morning they woke up at 5:00!)

So I think we will be able to do rope drop on most mornings, taking a lazy morning (probably not sleeping but relaxing) once or twice. Although from what I read on other people’s trip reports, Disney is a great sleeping pill!

For the first two park days, since it will be my parents only park days, I think we will try to RD MK and AK, take an afternoon break to swim (if warm enough), nap or relax in the room. We will go back for dinner and the fireworks/nighttime spectaculars and head to the resort shortly after (maybe waiting for the initial crowd to dissipate). The early showtimes and closing of the parks in February should actually work in our favor (my kids are not night owls).

On Sunday (MK), I was thinking of doing as much as possible in Fantasyland (commando-style!) before BOG lunch with FPs from 9-12, maybe a 4th Fastpass after lunch and then head to the resort. Come back after and explore Adventureland / Frontierland, QS dinner then head for a good spot for HEA around 7:15.

On Monday, for AK, it is an EMH day (I was trying to avoid them but this is the second park my parents wanted to do). I am not sure we will be able to make it early because we will watch the fireworks at MK the day before... We likely will not be able to score a FOP FP so I would like to do Safari / meet Mickey and Minnie / FOTLK / Navi before lunch (do we need a FP for the first show of FOTLK?), head for a resort break after lunch, then Nemo (if we get back early enough) and Dinoland (not the Dinosaur ride though), QS dinner before getting in line for Rivers of light (if we can’t get a day of FP).

On Tuesday (split stay day, HS), I am thinking of taking it easy in The morning, bringing our luggage to the front desk for the move (although I have heard it might be best to just take them ourselves to AOA on the bridge? Any thoughts?) then head to HS for a Fastpass around 10:30, maybe watch a show / meet a character before our Hollywood and Vine lunch, do one last Fastpass ride or show and then head to the resort, aiming for a quiet evening exploring AOA, early dinner at the food court and early bedtime hopefully. (We will be going back for toy story land on the Friday)

On Wednesday (Epcot), I would like to RD Anna and Elsa (we should arrive by the skyline so i think that is closer to World Showcase?) then FP for Nemo / Figment and head to WS for FEA before Akershus lunch. Head to the resort and come back for World Showcase stroll (snacks!) and watch epcot forever if we are not too tired.

On Thursday (MK), get to the parks when ready, do Buzz/future world stuff before lunch, complete Adventureland/Frontierland before grabbing a spot for the parade (although I need to research the Tony’s package...), maybe do one or two favorites after the parade before heading to the resort and taking a lazy night (and packing!)

Finally on Friday, I am thinking of RD toy story land (meet woody and Jessie, toy story mania standby and hoping to get SDD Fastpass), maybe doing a show or a character meet before leaving the park around 11:15 for Bon Voyage Breakfast!

Does that make sense or is it too much for kids 2 and 5?
We have thought about doing a resort/DS day but I think I prefer doing shorter days in the parks instead (and not a big price difference since we only have to tickets to buy since I have an AP and my daughter is free...

I think that sounds doable. The shorter hours and cooler temps are both working in your favor in terms of being able to get more done in a day.

I do think you should have back up plans in place for the evening shows if your kids are walking up that early. Decide if you'll stay with them during in the stroller, send one daily home but let the other stay, etc. With such an early start, there night shows are going to be tough even with an afternoon break.

I do think you should have back up plans in place for the evening shows if your kids are walking up that early. Decide if you'll stay with them during in the stroller, send one daily home but let the other stay, etc. With such an early start, there night shows are going to be tough even with an afternoon break.
Yes; with kids we need to be flexible!
Obviously those are preliminary plans but we will play it be ear once we are there!
But it helps hearing from people who have done it that it’s not completely crazy! 😜

My ADR window has opened and I am quite happy, I got pretty much all I wanted with pretty good times!

Day 1 (arrival day): resort day
Storybook dining at Artist point - the only time I could get is 4:10. It is earlier than I had planned but I am thinking since it is our arrival day and we have an early morning flight it might be a good thing?

BOG lunch (11:45)

Tusker House for lunch with ROL package (11:40)

Hollywood and Vine (12:00)

Akershus lunch (11:55)

Crystal Palace late breakfast (10:40)
(still hesitant on the Parade watching package from Tony’s... so I booked it just in case but will cancel one as soon as I make a decision!)

Day 7 (Friday) HS
Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria del Forno @ 11:45

So exciting! I know it is still months ahead but it makes it so real!!!

What do you Disney addicts do between the ADR window and FP window?
I am trying to get my Disney fix by reading trip reports on the DIS, listening to Disney Podcasts and shopping for Disney outfits!

I have ordered three cute dresses for my daughter (I was amazed at the low cost of these!)

I have found this shirt for my son (shown as a onesie but ordered as a kids T-shirt)

And I even convinced my DH to order those tshirts for him! (He isn’t usually in Disney clothing but he thought those two looked funny!)

And I found some cute earrings for me (can’t believe they were just 1$ per piece... I don’t know if they will be good quality but for the price I am ok with cheap earrings!) - I got the Chip ones and the Cheschire cat ones

I have a hard time finding cute women Disney clothes at a reasonable price though (I am from Canada so many don’t ship there...) - any suggestions?

It’s a good thing they make so many cute but cheap Disney clothes!

Bonjour to my fellow Quebecer! Following along with you. If you are adding the ddp that means you must have booked through Disney directly at rack rate. Sometime by the end of September or early October Disney should (of course nothing is guaranteed) be coming out with fall/winter specials. Keep checking the Disney website for your travel dates and call and they will apply all discounts to your package to lower your price.

My dh and I are planning a parkless trip to Disney in March 2020 so I am waiting for their specials to drop. Staying at a Disney resort (even without the parks) is a vacation in itself after our usually brutal winters. We have been 7 times with our kids and done all the parks many, many times. We are looking at 2021 for the 50th anniversary for a full Disney vacation when all the updates are finished.

If you are doing RD mornings make them count. Get there as early as possible before opening because being in front of the pack versus the middle or back will make a huge difference in your waiting time. Most people are usually rushing for the same ride. If you cannot get a fp for FOP try to RD AK EMH and head straight to FOP. It is not a ride to be missed is all I can say!
Your kids will LOVE both resorts but especially AOA! The decor there is so well done and your dd will be awed with the Little Mermaid room. The pool there is so much fun as is the hippy dippy pool at POP. Both resorts have so many photo opportunities! We posed our kids in front of Mr. Potato Head at POP every year we went and watched them grow up. Enjoy your planning, it is the best part for me.

Bonjour to my fellow Quebecer! Following along with you. If you are adding the ddp that means you must have booked through Disney directly at rack rate. Sometime by the end of September or early October Disney should (of course nothing is guaranteed) be coming out with fall/winter specials. Keep checking the Disney website for your travel dates and call and they will apply all discounts to your package to lower your price.

My dh and I are planning a parkless trip to Disney in March 2020 so I am waiting for their specials to drop. Staying at a Disney resort (even without the parks) is a vacation in itself after our usually brutal winters. We have been 7 times with our kids and done all the parks many, many times. We are looking at 2021 for the 50th anniversary for a full Disney vacation when all the updates are finished.

If you are doing RD mornings make them count. Get there as early as possible before opening because being in front of the pack versus the middle or back will make a huge difference in your waiting time. Most people are usually rushing for the same ride. If you cannot get a fp for FOP try to RD AK EMH and head straight to FOP. It is not a ride to be missed is all I can say!
Your kids will LOVE both resorts but especially AOA! The decor there is so well done and your dd will be awed with the Little Mermaid room. The pool there is so much fun as is the hippy dippy pool at POP. Both resorts have so many photo opportunities! We posed our kids in front of Mr. Potato Head at POP every year we went and watched them grow up. Enjoy your planning, it is the best part for me.

Bonjour! Thanks for joining!
It is nice to see other Quebecers out here!

I have indeed booked rack rates but I am hoping for discounts soon! I have not yet added the dining plan, hoping for a better deal coming along (hopefully soon...)
I was able to get a group rate for the first 3 nights with a Princess Marathon group here in the Dis - I will call later on to add the DDP to our room but I am waiting to see if we can get discounted park tickets through the group (and whether or not there is a Canadian offer like last year)
And yes the planning part is so exciting! I understand now why Disney does the 180-days ADR and 60-days fastpasses... I think it creates anticipation and excitement (and for people like me... an addiction!)

I agree with you, just being out of the cold is a vacation on itself! But I don’t know if I would be able to skip the parks... I probably haven’t been there enough! What are your children’s age? When did you start going? I like the idea of making it a tradition!!!
I hope you enjoy your trip in March!

Last edited:

A

Haha, hubby got that one, too.

I found a lot of good designs I liked on TeePublic. They're on the more expensive side, but they are almost always running a flash sale. So, if you see something you like, wait until the site goes 35% off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!