Family member has mental illness

leunglamleung

Earning My Ears
Did anybody got a DAS for mental illness? One of my family member has mental illness and could not stay in queue for long. She would stress out and dizzy for long time standing.

Welcome! DAS is need based rather than diagnosis based. There are lots of varying needs associated with “mental illness” so you or the individual will need to explain his/her specific needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment. The first post of this thread explains DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

If standing for long is the main challenge, a mobility device will be recommended instead of DAS.

Be aware that DAS will not complete negate all waiting in lines. Plans should be made to help the person with some lines that will inevitably be encountered.

Enjoy your vacation!

We haven’t been yet, but I’m hoping to get one for my husband, who has bipolar and gets extremely agitated in crowds when he can’t get out, like in queues. He has psychotic symptoms as part of his illness (ie auditory and visual hallucinations) and these can be brought on by intense stress. I’m a bit worried about what we will do if he doesn’t get one, but since he also has epilepsy and stress can also bring on seizures, I’m hoping that he will get one.

I know this isn’t advice, but I wanted to say that you’re not the only one wondering about this.

We haven’t been yet, but I’m hoping to get one for my husband, who has bipolar and gets extremely agitated in crowds when he can’t get out, like in queues. He has psychotic symptoms as part of his illness (ie auditory and visual hallucinations) and these can be brought on by intense stress. I’m a bit worried about what we will do if he doesn’t get one, but since he also has epilepsy and stress can also bring on seizures, I’m hoping that he will get one.

I know this isn’t advice, but I wanted to say that you’re not the only one wondering about this.
you need to think of what his needs are in line and how waiting outside the lines will help him. there will still be lines he has to wait in ( even if he has a DAS with a DAS you go in the FP line the wait is normally 10 minutes but can be longer, some have pre-show where you are in a room with a lot of people, the DAS does nothing outside the park for waiting for buses trams monorail and such. the DAS does nothing for waiting at a QS for food although some places have mobal ordering or waiting for your table at a table service. So make sure he is ready for some waits and has whatever tools he needs to handle this,

This is hugely helpful, thank you @gap2368

I should have clarified that it starts to build up for him the longer he is in crowds, so the long ride queues are my biggest concern. We have already built in a lot of crowd-avoidance into our plans/budget, like dessert parties and Uber/Minnie Vans, along with RD and paying for any extra hours that are offered during our stay. He also has various coping techniques, and Valium as a last resort.

He has had bipolar for 12 years so we are pretty used to travel with these limitations, but this will be his biggest challenge. Fortunately, everyone we are traveling with knows how his mental health problems affect him, and his sister will be with us, so there shouldn’t be any times when he has to be on his own in the parks. It will definitely take a lot of effort and planning, but I think it is doable. He is very determined, because our niece really wants him to come, so I’m doing as much prep as possible to make it a success.

Thank you again for your advice; I really appreciate it!

This is hugely helpful, thank you @gap2368

I should have clarified that it starts to build up for him the longer he is in crowds, so the long ride queues are my biggest concern. We have already built in a lot of crowd-avoidance into our plans/budget, like dessert parties and Uber/Minnie Vans, along with RD and paying for any extra hours that are offered during our stay. He also has various coping techniques, and Valium as a last resort.

He has had bipolar for 12 years so we are pretty used to travel with these limitations, but this will be his biggest challenge. Fortunately, everyone we are traveling with knows how his mental health problems affect him, and his sister will be with us, so there shouldn’t be any times when he has to be on his own in the parks. It will definitely take a lot of effort and planning, but I think it is doable. He is very determined, because our niece really wants him to come, so I’m doing as much prep as possible to make it a success.

Thank you again for your advice; I really appreciate it!

I find for my self not really 100% on the DAS works great and it sounds like this is something you are doing too with RD, paying for Uber/ Minnie van, Make sure you bring anything he might need to help him with the parks like if he has problems with light sunglasses or a hoodie, would having a wheelchair help him to give him some extra space? where he could sit and focus on something like a game on the phone ( and no you do not have to use it all the time) just an idea for you

I find for my self not really 100% on the DAS works great and it sounds like this is something you are doing too with RD, paying for Uber/ Minnie van, Make sure you bring anything he might need to help him with the parks like if he has problems with light sunglasses or a hoodie, would having a wheelchair help him to give him some extra space? where he could sit and focus on something like a game on the phone ( and no you do not have to use it all the time) just an idea for you

I really appreciate this, thank you.

One of the things he learned in hospital was to listen to music and play a game on his phone when he is overwhelmed, so he’s pretty good at doing that in day to day life. I’m not sure whether he would be ok in a wheelchair, but it’s interesting that you suggest it as it’s something I had wondered about. I have a few months to keep working on him, but I suspect that a wheelchair or ECV might make life easier for him, and he may feel less self-conscious once he is there and sees how many other people use them.

It’s hard to strike a balance between preparing him and not making him worry for the next 6 months, so I really appreciate your input. Thank you!

With a wheelchair someone else can push him while he looks at his phone and this way he can be focused on this and not everyone around him with an ECV he will have to keep his eyes open to those around him

I really appreciate this, thank you.

One of the things he learned in hospital was to listen to music and play a game on his phone when he is overwhelmed, so he’s pretty good at doing that in day to day life. I’m not sure whether he would be ok in a wheelchair, but it’s interesting that you suggest it as it’s something I had wondered about. I have a few months to keep working on him, but I suspect that a wheelchair or ECV might make life easier for him, and he may feel less self-conscious once he is there and sees how many other people use them.

It’s hard to strike a balance between preparing him and not making him worry for the next 6 months, so I really appreciate your input. Thank you!
with the ECV he will really have to pay attention all the time when driving as other people do walk right in front of you when you leave a space so you can stop without hitting people, have had it happen a number of times to me. if he does not use one in normal life make sure he tries one at places that have them before you head to Disney

With a wheelchair someone else can push him while he looks at his phone and this way he can be focused on this and not everyone around him with an ECV he will have to keep his eyes open to those around him

with the ECV he will really have to pay attention all the time when driving as other people do walk right in front of you when you leave a space so you can stop without hitting people, have had it happen a number of times to me. if he does not use one in normal life make sure he tries one at places that have them before you head to Disney

These are both excellent points, thank you. He has never used an ECV, and if he does have to take Valium then he will have a hard time being safe on one. It sounds like an ECV is not going to be a good idea for him.

Speak to his doctor about your concerns. Do they have maintenance meds? Everyone is different, but if they aren't on maintenance meds maybe their doctor can prescribe some starting prior to and during the trip? I'd hate for them to wait too long and then take have to wait for the meds to take affect, which only adds more time to their distress.

I’m not the OP, so I’m not sure whether your reply was to them or me (since I appear to have hijacked the thread entirely!). If it was directed at me then my husband is well medicated already, as well as having Valium to use as needed.

If it was directed at the OP then I completely agree. Many doctors are not keen on prescribing Valium long-term as it is habit forming, but in an ideal world the family member in question would have daily medication, breakthrough/emergency medication, and also various coping tools and techniques, which are often taught through CBT (at least in the UK).

but since he also has epilepsy and stress can also bring on seizures, I’m hoping that he will get one.
Is this a general statement, or is it specific to your husband? A general statement ( "this causes that") probably won't have any effect on a CM decision.

Is this a general statement, or is it specific to your husband? A general statement ( "this causes that") probably won't have any effect on a CM decision.

I’m not sure I entirely understand what you mean. Stress is a very common seizure trigger in people with epilepsy, and is also one of things that triggers seizures in my husband. I understand that CMs may not look at medical evidence, so I’m not sure what they will and won’t take into account - can you suggest anything, please?

I’m not sure I entirely understand what you mean. Stress is a very common seizure trigger in people with epilepsy, and is also one of things that triggers seizures in my husband. I understand that CMs may not look at medical evidence, so I’m not sure what they will and won’t take into account - can you suggest anything, please?
Stress can be a seizure trigger, but saying that doesn’t really say anything about someone’s ability to wait in line.
The things you/he want to concentrate on in discussing with Guest Relations are what is it about the lines that are concerning. Since each person is different, your/his answers will be specific to him.

Also, keep in mind that each guest can pre-schedule up to 3 Fastpass experiences per day. Once all 3 have been used, you can schedule more, one at a time.
DAS works best when used with Fastpass and, if you don’t get DAS, you will have 3 already planned out.
Some people use their Fastpasses for attractions the DAS user won’t be going on. Since DAS can only be used for attractions the DAS user will be going on, other members of your group can use Fastpass to avoid long waits.

Some people use Fastpasses for the attractions with long waits that the DAS user wants to go on. Since DAS Return Times are based on the current Standby Wait time, using DAS for one of those attractions with long waits ties up the DAS.

Stress can be a seizure trigger, but saying that doesn’t really say anything about someone’s ability to wait in line.
The things you/he want to concentrate on in discussing with Guest Relations are what is it about the lines that are concerning. Since each person is different, your/his answers will be specific to him.

Also, keep in mind that each guest can pre-schedule up to 3 Fastpass experiences per day. Once all 3 have been used, you can schedule more, one at a time.
DAS works best when used with Fastpass and, if you don’t get DAS, you will have 3 already planned out.
Some people use their Fastpasses for attractions the DAS user won’t be going on. Since DAS can only be used for attractions the DAS user will be going on, other members of your group can use Fastpass to avoid long waits.

Some people use Fastpasses for the attractions with long waits that the DAS user wants to go on. Since DAS Return Times are based on the current Standby Wait time, using DAS for one of those attractions with long waits ties up the DAS.

Thanks very much, Sue - I definitely do need to learn more about the logistics of using DAS, so this was very useful.

The stress/epilepsy is a bit of a red herring. As I said in the first post, the big problem is his mental health problems and his inability to cope with crowds, and especially being in a situation where he can’t get out, like a contained queue. Unfortunately, for him it won’t just escalate into a panic attack, as it would for many people with anxiety and agoraphobia (which he has been hospitalised for twice) but is likely to end up tipping over into either a psychotic episode of auditory or visual hallucinations, or a seizure. The severe mental health issues are why he needs the DAS, as he really cannot wait in a long line. The fact that, if he becomes very distressed, he may have a seizure is secondary. If we can prevent the distress then we just manage his epilepsy as we do every other day. He does not need a DAS for his epilepsy.

I hope that makes sense. I know that it is difficult to explain because it’s a complex situation and CMs are not allowed to ask for medical evidence. I definitely need to make sure that I have a clear and concise explanation prepared before we go.

Yes - you want clear and concise - a few sentences, not a few paragraphs.
If the CMs have more questions they will ask. And, you/he can always go back and re-explain if he doesn’t get DAS.

Yes - you want clear and concise - a few sentences, not a few paragraphs.
If the CMs have more questions they will ask. And, you/he can always go back and re-explain if he doesn’t get DAS.

Thank you! We don’t go until October, so I have some time to get my thoughts together.

Thank you! We don’t go until October, so I have some time to get my thoughts together.
might help to write a sentence or 2 about what makes standing in line hard for him and take with you so you can look at it to help you at GS not so much as for GS to read. hope this makes it easier for you

My only thoughts here are to make sure that he can leave when he wants to leave. I have no input about how to manage when still there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter