Fantasmic questions

The best F! shows include both the Mark Twain and the Sailing Ship Columbia. When either or both of those are in refurb, it detracts from the show. SSC is supposed to be down next month.

It also includes "Murphy" - if you have not seen F! at DL then I will not spoil it, but Murphy is an animatronic character that really anchors the show. Sometimes Murphy is down.

:wizard:

Last edited:
The sailing ship Columbia is not showing being under refurbishment the day we are going. March 25. So are the odds good the full show will be playing? 🤞 should I cancel if it’s not the full show?

FYI, the last few times we've seen the show this month, a big part of the finale has been missing, and a video shown instead for it. Not sure if it's just been bad luck for us, or some extended downtime.
They don't say when this month that they watched the show so saying this was not the problem may or may not be accurate.

This quote from a popular update I read.

"The Mark Twain returned to operation this week, looking great as ever. The extra time in drydock means that the planned refurbishment for the Sailing Ship Columbia —which sorely needs some TLC— has been postponed. The Columbia’s refurbishment has been bumped until the first week of March." This update from 2/17

They don't say when this month that they watched the show so saying this was not the problem may or may not be accurate.
2/14 and 2/21. Both ships were there (and heck, would have been pretty disappointed if either of those would have been missing and the other item there. All are pretty integral to the experience IMHO.

I watched Fantasmic last night. The show was amazing as ever. Both ships were sailing and all the princess rafts were out. Murphy was still in hibernation (refurb). Murphy will hopefully emerge in Spring. I would not cancel plans for Fantasmic, but if you do not want to pay for an upcharge watching from the launch area for the rafts to Pirates Lair/Tom Sawyers Island is my go to spot.

Looking for input on this theoretical situation. Let's say you have a Hungry Bear Fantasmic dining time for 5pm, but you are stuck in line at ROTR or your boarding group gets called then. Does anyone know if you can show up late to pick up your food and Fantasmic pass? Or would you be considered a no show?
Also, what is the likelihood you could get a reservation for HB Fantasmic Dining Package the day of, instead of booking ahead?

Last edited:
Depends on how busy it was I've been there when that section had to stand.
When was this? I've asked F! CMs about this several times over the past year, and they've all agreed that no one has had to stand when they've been working over the past two+ years. I agree that the possibility exists and that HB guests should be aware of that, but the odds of being asked to stand are very small.

Looking for input on this theoretical situation. Let's say you have a Hungry Bear Fantasmic dining time for 5pm, but you are stuck in line at ROTR or your boarding group gets called then. Does anyone know if you can show up late to pick up your food and Fantasmic pass? Or would you be considered a no show?
Also, what is the likelihood you could get a reservation for HB Fantasmic Dining Package the day of, instead of booking ahead?
All restaurants have been very flexible and forgiving when it comes to ROTR BG conflicts. To be safe, if you think your BG return time might conflict with your pick up time, I would stop by HB on your way to SWGE to speak with someone about this. Confirm your reservation and let them know you have a BG return time. Ask how late you can be to pick up your food and F! FP. While there are days when HB accepts walk ups, I've been there on days when HB has sold out. If you know you want to see F! with the HB package during a peak crowd time, I'd reserve it to be safe.

When was this? I've asked F! CMs about this several times over the past year, and they've all agreed that no one has had to stand when they've been working over the past two+ years. I agree that the possibility exists and that HB guests should be aware of that, but the odds of being asked to stand are very small.

All restaurants have been very flexible and forgiving when it comes to ROTR BG conflicts. To be safe, if you think your BG return time might conflict with your pick up time, I would stop by HB on your way to SWGE to speak with someone about this. Confirm your reservation and let them know you have a BG return time. Ask how late you can be to pick up your food and F! FP. While there are days when HB accepts walk ups, I've been there on days when HB has sold out. If you know you want to see F! with the HB package during a peak crowd time, I'd reserve it to be safe.
Thanks so much! That's what I figured, but just over planning for every scenario! Lol

I've seen it happen once 2 years ago but all other times I've done it we sat.

How early you choose to line up for your section can depend on when you view the show. For example, we viewed the first show this past July 4th. All 3 reserved sections were sold out. We chose to line up 30-60 minutes early, knowing that there would be quite a crowd in each section. And because I am short, I like sitting right up at the railing. Sure enough, well before the show started, the sections were comfortably full -- then more full -- then about 10 minutes before the show, a few large families showed up for each section, only to find that there wasn't enough room for all of them to sit together, even in the very back. CMs made an announcement for everyone to move more closely together (move forward and move together!) to make more room -- but who wants to be squished when they've paid for a reserved package? -- so those families had to split up to find spots. As the pp said, if you are a party of 2, you aren't viewing on a super crowded day, and you don't want the front row, you don't have to line up super early. But if you will be needing more room and it is a holiday or high crowd time? Allow for more time to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your response! That's so crazy to me...they shouldn't sell that many tickets, if they don't have the room.

Thanks for your response! That's so crazy to me...they shouldn't sell that many tickets, if they don't have the room.
Not that I disbelieve the PP, I just do not think it is an issue to worry about. I have never seen anything like too crowded. I would worry about rain or something else before I would worry about this.

Not that I disbelieve the PP, I just do not think it is an issue to worry about. I have never seen anything like too crowded. I would worry about rain or something else before I would worry about this.

Does it not run when raining? And at what level of rain is "too much"? (Pouring? Sprinkling?)

Some people take up more space each than you'd expect for one person. And then they don't want to move closer together when CMs ask. There isn't much CMs can do if these people flat out refuse to take up less space. And on a major holiday when both shows are sold out, it really isn't wise to wait until the last few minutes before showtime to check in, expecting plenty of room to be available for a large family. That's like showing up right before fireworks, thinking that your large family could waltz up to a great spot right in front of the castle. Not likely...

Does it not run when raining? And at what level of rain is "too much"? (Pouring? Sprinkling?)
If it rains harder than a steady sprinkle, that can cancel the show. If the Columbia is too wet (slippery = dangerous!) for the CMs and the viewing area is too damp/wet and won't dry enough before the show, F! can be cancelled. If it's pouring, the show will definitely be cancelled. High winds at ground level can cancel the show because things become too dangerous for the CMs. F! doesn't get cancelled that often -- just keep an eye on the weather reports around your trip dates.

Some people take up more space each than you'd expect for one person. And then they don't want to move closer together when CMs ask. There isn't much CMs can do if these people flat out refuse to take up less space. And on a major holiday when both shows are sold out, it really isn't wise to wait until the last few minutes before showtime to check in, expecting plenty of room to be available for a large family. That's like showing up right before fireworks, thinking that your large family could waltz up to a great spot right in front of the castle. Not likely...

If it rains harder than a steady sprinkle, that can cancel the show. If the Columbia is too wet (slippery = dangerous!) for the CMs and the viewing area is too damp/wet and won't dry enough before the show, F! can be cancelled. If it's pouring, the show will definitely be cancelled. High winds at ground level can cancel the show because things become too dangerous for the CMs. F! doesn't get cancelled that often -- just keep an eye on the weather reports around your trip dates.

Thanks for this! I knew if it poured it would get cancelled, but wasn't sure beyond that. My next question was if this happens often, so thanks for pre-emptively answering that too!

Slightly off topic - does HB still let you order off the regular menu if you do the dining package? Thinking about switching from RBT, but I don’t think half our family would go for the dining package menu.

Slightly off topic - does HB still let you order off the regular menu if you do the dining package? Thinking about switching from RBT, but I don’t think half our family would go for the dining package menu.
Yes, but you still have to pay the dining package price, naturally.

I hope that Murphy isn't down for long. I booked for the end of March, but don't want to do Fantasmic if he isn't apart of the show.

I hope that Murphy isn't down for long. I booked for the end of March, but don't want to do Fantasmic if he isn't apart of the show.
Murphy is back! I haven't seen Fantasmic in months so can't speak to any details, but stunts were performed on the Columbia, Murphy seemed especially fluid, and the Mark Twain was present for the finale. If anyone has specific questions, ask away: I'm watching again tomorrow, so will keep an eye out!

Murphy is back! I haven't seen Fantasmic in months so can't speak to any details, but stunts were performed on the Columbia, Murphy seemed especially fluid, and the Mark Twain was present for the finale. If anyone has specific questions, ask away: I'm watching again tomorrow, so will keep an eye out!

Thank you!!! I hope you have an amazing time! I can't wait to hear about the show!
Did you do a dining package?

Thank you!!! I hope you have an amazing time! I can't wait to hear about the show!
Did you do a dining package?
Yes, I did HB yesterday and am doing RBT today (not the premium one with seats, the...normal one?). Was not impressed with HB food (dry chicken, too salty potatoes, though the cornbread was fluffy). I like the 10:30 show because I can watch the fireworks near Jolly Holiday, hightail it to RoA, and sit right next to the (central) BB section without waiting an hour like for the first show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!