FastPass & Galaxy's Edge Questions (Edit: Added New Question)

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I've got a trip planned for April 20-30, and I had a couple of questions:

1) So my FastPass options open up in a couple of days, and I plan on being there for when that happens... but I'm curious why it already says "Make a Selection" on my planning page on the DW site. When I click that, it just takes me to the "How FastPass works" page. Is that normal? It won't look like that when availability opens up, will it? Can anyone show me a screencap of what it's supposed to look like when you CAN actually make your selections? Even the YouTube tutorials don't seem to feature that part.

I've used FP+ before (only last year in fact), but last time there was a weird thing that happened where I was able to pick 63 days ahead instead of 60 and I don't think I used this route to pick them.

2) re: Rise of the Resistance- I've read up on how it works, but many plans suggest using your own data and not park WiFi for it, as that's faster. My issue is, since I'm Canadian, that isn't a very wise option (it'd cost a ton, most likely, though I suppose I could do it for a quick second). Is it really that important, since I'd be there for opening anyhow?

3) Also, how likely is someone to be able to check the Experience App right at opening and check, and still not get an early enough pass to ride? I know at Disneyland you can arrive at opening and still fail to get a spot.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
1. Your 60-day window will open at 60 days, so you’re fine here.

2. WiFi is OK. People have had success with both.

3. You will want to arrive BEFORE park open, especially if you have a bag.

1. Your 60-day window will open at 60 days, so you’re fine here.

2. WiFi is OK. People have had success with both.

3. You will want to arrive BEFORE park open, especially if you have a bag.
Okay, thanks for the responses!

1) I just found the page unfamiliar from what I last remember, so wanted to be sure.

2) That's good to know. I know DL is probably having more severe issues given the "AP" situation where locals are involved and just leave if they don't get in, but I wasn't sure about WDW.

3) Yeah, I usually arrive pretty early, though last year I got lazy and sometimes only showed up right around park opening. But for a hard-to-get experience, I'll hurry. My standard was to get there 30-60 minutes ahead of time no matter what.

2) Check out Touring Plans' blog, they did a post on using WiFi for ROTR today.

3) Just depends on the day. Holidays like this past weekend everything goes at park open. Random Wednesdays typically there's been some slack. I think over spring break that it will be tough; you're going right as that tapers off so I think you'll be OK, especially on the later weekdays in your trip

2) Check out Touring Plans' blog, they did a post on using WiFi for ROTR today.

3) Just depends on the day. Holidays like this past weekend everything goes at park open. Random Wednesdays typically there's been some slack. I think over spring break that it will be tough; you're going right as that tapers off so I think you'll be OK, especially on the later weekdays in your trip
Alright, I'll check that out!

That's good to know- I'll probably have a few days to check and see if I can get in. My planned day was Sunday, but I'll probably throw in some more.

Okay, additional question: It's less than an hour before my window opens up, but it's saying "Start Now!" and "Make a Selection". Yet every time I touch it... it's sending me right back to the "How FastPass Works" section of the site instead of the calendar. Since the "Start Now!" button is new, I was thinking it was letting me pick. Is it just glitching?

(Checking one attraction's specific page to get a FastPass, it did tell me I was early. But this whole thing was worrying me, lol)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Last edited:
Okay, additional question: It's less than an hour before my window opens up, but it's saying "Start Now!" and "Make a Selection". Yet every time I touch it... it's sending me right back to the "How FastPass Works" section of the site instead of the calendar. Since the "Start Now!" button is new, I was thinking it was letting me pick. Is it just glitching?

(Checking one attraction's specific page to get a FastPass, it did tell me I was early. But this whole thing was worrying me, lol)

FP booking opens at 7am ET. When the clock clicks over to 7, everything should work for FP booking.

Good news! It all worked out! LOL, it kept sending me on the endless loop right until it hit 7am EXACTLY, despite the main "My Plans" page never changing.

What's weird is that some days have hugely different times available. The Mickey/Minnie thing is available for 10am one day, and 3pm the next! I think I did well enough, though. Took my 35 minutes to pick all my FPs for each of my eight days (I didn't want to be at HS endlessly, but that's where the Resistance ride is, so I booked FPs across two days to maximize chances), but I got it done.

Glad it worked out! My FP day is tomorrow and we're only onsite for 4 nights then moving offsite, so I'm nervous we won't get any of the T1s at HS or FOP in those first few days. We'll see.

Glad it worked out! My FP day is tomorrow and we're only onsite for 4 nights then moving offsite, so I'm nervous we won't get any of the T1s at HS or FOP in those first few days. We'll see.
ah, I got an FOP for 9:05 on the 27th, so I don't think it's quite THAT packed right now- with 60 days in, you should get it pretty easily. Though I was curious as to how far back some other attractions were- I think a LOT of people must be planning 10-14 day trips, because some stuff well into my vacation also had FPs pushed back a bit.

FP booking opens at 7am ET. When the clock clicks over to 7, everything should work for FP booking.
So question, getting to DHS prior to opening for rise of resistance boarding pass, how does it conflict with prior fastpasses? Should you not have booked any for that day?

So question, getting to DHS prior to opening for rise of resistance boarding pass, how does it conflict with prior fastpasses? Should you not have booked any for that day?

Fastpasses have no effect on boarding passes.

Your regular FPs do not interact at all with getting a RotR boarding pass. Two completely different systems. You will be fine to have 3 prebooked FPs and still get a RotR boarding pass.

Whenever we travel to the US we use Roam Mobility; their rates are pretty good ($5/day for unlimited calls/data) and you can buy their sim cards at numerous stores or online. If you are looking for an option to use data, that may be helpful.

Whenever we travel to the US we use Roam Mobility; their rates are pretty good ($5/day for unlimited calls/data) and you can buy their sim cards at numerous stores or online. If you are looking for an option to use data, that may be helpful.
That sounds like it might be a good option. The ride will at least have been out for a while since then, allowing easier access as well.

Though I'm still curious as to how far back in the day some of my FastPasses were. When I went last May, I was able to handily book 9-12 am FPs each day. This time around, I had a handful of the popular rides make me wait until 3-4pm! And that's with most Crowd Calendars telling me that late April was a good time (though some had the 20-24 stretch as being in the "red"). I was able to book restaurants ages ago with little difficulty (even with a 3-day delay in the "6 month window", meaning others had a chance to book first). I'm a little curious as to how busy it'll end up being.

I arrive April 17th, you are right, slim pickings for FP and restaurants. I have tried to modify our ADRs since we booked our FP, but nothing available. I know things may open up 1-2 days ahead of the actual dates, but still frustrating having to pick restaurants 6 months out and then FP availability doesn’t mesh with it once the FP window opens. I expect 10/10 crowd levels based upon the current trend.

Try touring plans reservation finder to change your ADR times. They will search for availability and send you a notification when your desired time becomes available.

Try touring plans reservation finder to change your ADR times. They will search for availability and send you a notification when your desired time becomes available.
Yup. Done. Not much changing yet but hopefully when times gets closer. Thanks!

I arrive April 17th, you are right, slim pickings for FP and restaurants. I have tried to modify our ADRs since we booked our FP, but nothing available. I know things may open up 1-2 days ahead of the actual dates, but still frustrating having to pick restaurants 6 months out and then FP availability doesn’t mesh with it once the FP window opens. I expect 10/10 crowd levels based upon the current trend.
It's peculiar- 1 or 2 of the "Crowd Calendar" sites had this as being a pretty quiet time. The "Dad's" one had these days as all blue, with the final days of the month in green; another listed "the second half of April" as one of the best times. Though even the ones now listing April 20-24 as 7/10 or 8/10 have the remainder of the month as being much lighter.

So it's weird to see my ADRs easily booked (though I guess I had to go at 4 pm for dinner, since that was all that was available) and then FPs get snapped up this recently- having a 4pm FastPass for the Mine Train, when I started 60 days away, right at 7am, is peculiar. Last year in early May, I was EASILY snaring 9am FPs for the same ride in the same timeframe.

However, it's more reasonable later on. The next week, the Mine Train FP is for 10:40, and my Flight of Passage one for the 27th is at 9:05. I was wondering if there was some big convention/cheerleading thing Orlando right at that time or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter