Favorite Free Activities

InstImpres

DIS Veteran
In addition to regular park things, I am looking for suggestions of FREE, but a little more unique things. It was suggested we do the campfire at FW and see the torch lighting at Polynesian.

Anyone have other favorites to share.

Thanks
Sandy

One of my favorite free things to do at Disney World is the Electrical Light Parade from one of the monorail resorts, Fort Wilderness, or the Wilderness Lodge. You can find out what time it runs at Guest Services. It's a really neat show.

One of my other favorite free passtimes is to hotel hop, just check out the atmosphere and pools at the other resorts so I can decide if I want to stay there on a future trip.

Karen

Karen, those were the two I was going to mention. ANother would be viewing the MK fireworks from the observation deck on top of the Contemp.

Steve

Oh, i love the boat parade that TLiden16 mentioned. Others of our fav free things are...

Pressed pennie/quarter searching at the resorts. (i guess that isn't completely free now is it??!?!)

Hidden Mickey searching at the resorts, especially AKL. (they have a pre-printed sheet at the front desk that gives you clues in searching for them. - kind of like a scanvenger hunt.) While you are at AKL, another freebe, checking out the wildlife there.

As long as you are going to FW for the campfire sing along (free) you can check out the petting zoo and maybe snag a pony ride (not completely free, but cheap enough.) Grab a drink and catch a quiet moment on the front porch of Crocketts Tavern. The rocking chairs and soothing music can't be beat. You can chill there while waiting for the boat parade mentioned above. During the day there, you can rent the kids a cane pole, again not free, but cheap enough, (or bring your own if you are camping) and go fishing from the beach or dock. (Can you tell FW is my fav resort?)

- lori

One of our favorite free things to do at WDW is to go for a walk anlong the Boardwalk. Usually later in the evenings they have entertainers out. Last year, we walked the Boardwalk after our day at Disney MGM, and just kind of finished the evening out in a more relaxing way, other than standing in lines.

We where also able to catch some of the fireworks from Epcot while on the Boardwalk.

Of couse once you are there (the Boardwalk), you can't help but have the urge to spend money. With the smell of fresh pastries, coffee, and funnel cakes floating in the air, it'll hit you and your "free" adventure ends up costing you something. But it is really all worth it because our kids really remember the street entertainers and walking on the Boardwalk.

Enjoy:Pinkbounc

Have dinner at AKL and do the storytelling. It is usually at 6:30 I think. I guess thats not free because I think you can only go to AKL if you have a dinner reservation but you have to eat right?

Renee

Steve TLT-
I have heard recently that the CR top observation is now restricted to CG restaurant guest only. They opened up an observation deck by the shops in the concourse for anyone.

Have dinner at AKL and do the storytelling. It is usually at 6:30 I think. I guess thats not free because I think you can only go to AKL if you have a dinner reservation but you have to eat right

Actually, you can go to the other resorts by using Disney Transportation even if you aren't eating there. It is only when you want to park there that you need to either be a guest of that resort or have a PS.

As for the storytelling, we are planning on doing that in a couple of weeks. I called AKL to ask what time it takes place and was told that recently it has not always been held, due to cooler weather, but if they are going to have it, it will be a 7:30 pm.

Go over to the Wilderness Lodge and seach for the Hidden Mickey's... there are many of them, and you can divide up into teams and see who can find the most.

Also you might want to go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and hear the African Storyteller and watch the animals in the savannah.

There is a wonderful combo that plays in the lobby of the Grand Floridian at night. If your kids aren't into this, they play Disney movies in the lobby on one of the TVS so they can watch while you listen.

Go to Downtown Disney and stroll through the shops... maybe catch the boat from DTD to Port Orleans Riverside at night, listen to the piano player in the River Roost Lounge, then take the same boat back to DTD. You will have to catch the boat back by 10:30 pm, though.

Sit on the beach at the Polynesian, and watch the MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant.

Go to Boardwalk and people watch.

Swim in your resort pool, or go to the hottub at night.

There is plenty to do, you just have to look for it!

Thanks ukcatfan, you know I think I heard that a while ago. We usually have a PS for the CG anyway.

... I think you can only go to AKL if you have a dinner reservation ...
Just wanted to comment that I have never had a problem driving up to a resort and saying "I just want to look around for a while" and getting a three hour parking permit. The last time I did this was April 2002 (and the resort was AKL), so perhaps security is stricter since then?

You would have no problem driving to the Boardwalk resort area as they have parking for the shops/eateries (no parking permit required).

Sit in the front of the monorail on the TTC to Epcot loop.

Play at the Lego store. (OK if your kids are like mine this isn't free but buying legos is money well spent :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter