Favorite Non-Park Restaurants for Solo Travelers

bridgetz03

S.E.A. Member
Hi All!

I'm heading to Orlando next month for a long weekend and trying to plan for some Disney time. This is going to be the first trip that I'm staying off property and will be traveling for the first time solo.

I unfortunately will not have the time to go into the parks, but I'm hoping to spend time at Disney Springs (still have explored the whole area since the revamp) and do some resort hopping.

For those solo travelers, what are your favorite non-park restaurants to eat at?

I had a great meal at Art Smith's homecoming - also great conversation! Ragland Road is a go to for me as well and I can usually find a bar seat with a view of the stage.

eta - I did sit at the bar at homecoming as well!

Last edited:
Just full-service or also quick service restaurants? Also, would you include lounges?

Personally, I include all those categories but YMMV.

Disney Springs
1.Wholeheartedly 2nd Homecomin. If you don't snag a reservation, you can sit at the bar first come-first serve and order off the full menu.
2.The Edison, food is decent and there's fun entertainment in the evening. Also a good place to people watch.
3.The Polite Pig- Good food in a quick service setting

Honorable mention: Raglan Road. I love some of the acts they host, but wasn't blown away by the food (to be fair, it was a late night menu at the time).

Resorts
1. Trader Sam's- I love their lounge food menu just as much as I love the environment. I can very happily go in and order a couple of appetizers and that's dinner.
2. Boma - Buffet with a really fun variety to try lots of different things.
3.O'Hana/Tambu Lounge - Mostly the same food, two different environments

Honorable Mention: California Grill, honorable mention since I haven't been there but I've heard good things!

Homecomin' is BANANAS the food there is just so, so good. Nothing in particular about it to recommend to a solo traveller, but worth it for the food for sure. If you like sitting at a bar, Boathouse (also Disney Springs) would be nice. The upstairs patio at Paddlefish too - great view to take the place of a dinner companion.

Homecomin' is BANANAS the food there is just so, so good. Nothing in particular about it to recommend to a solo traveller, but worth it for the food for sure. If you like sitting at a bar, Boathouse (also Disney Springs) would be nice. The upstairs patio at Paddlefish too - great view to take the place of a dinner companion.

So many recommendations for Homecomin'....definitely need to add it to my list for dinner one night!

I'm heading to Orlando next month for a long weekend and trying to plan for some Disney time.
If I wanted some "Disney Time", I wouldn't head to Disney Springs (though I have heard that Homecomin' is quite good). I would head to a resort:
  • The Wave at the CR--do a spin on the monorail afterwards. Then head upstairs for the fireworks. Or do a monorail-crawl. Alternative: the bar at Kona in the Poly. Splurge alternatives: California Grill or Citricos.
  • I've heard Ale & Compass is good for solo dining. Maybe you could take a ride on the Skyliner and have a drink at the Riviera.
  • Sanaa--'nuff said. Or Boma. Check out the animals before/after.
Something like this would feel more "Disney" to me.

Forgot about the Boathouse but honestly as good as the atmosphere was I wasn't happy with the service or the food when I sat at the bar. Could have been an off day as I have had a few excellent meals here with family and friends.

Another add is the Hangar bar - sat solo at a high top table and my server was fantastic as was the food!

I agree with the ale & compass suggestion as well, ate here with my kids twice in December and would feel completely comfortable here solo.

Sanaa, AK lodge is defiantly worth checking out while you're there and if you can get a window seat you can watch the animals while you eat which is great when you're solo, plus the food is delicious.

I enjoy buffet's solo since you don't have to wait for your food (no akward sitting around waiting wondering what to do) and you can try little bits of everything, my favourites are trails end and cape may café dinner

I ate at the bar at the Boathouse and had a great meal. I have always enjoyed Narcoossee's, Ale & Compass, Jiko chef's table, and Shula's as a solo. I have also had a good meal at The Wave. O'hana has been hit or miss.

Wine Bar George was nice for an early lunch. Food was delicious and the service was awesome! The Basket at Wine Bar George was good too for a quick bite. Ale and Compass was a great breakfast. Lots of great reviews for Homecomin', definitely trying it my next solo visit.

For quick service I like Polite Pig and Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs and Captain Cooks at the Polynesian. It is nice to be able to sit outside at the Polynesian and have them bring you your food.

My favorite non-park restaurant solo is GFC. They always give me a nice window seat if I ask, so I can watch the "goings-on" outside. And the servers have always been so nice. I also enjoyed Narcoose's and Sanaa solo-I always like somewhere I can look outside. My LEAST favorite, by far, was Ale and Compass at Yacht Club. Oh, I just remembered-I enjoy B&C too, no window seat, but I love sitting at the counter and watching them making the food.

When I'm solo I usually don't want a big sit-down meal, so I'll go to a lounge and get an appetizer and a cocktail.

Jock Lindsay's has some delicious and substantial appetizers, and it's nice to sit outside by the water if the weather is nice. The decor and atmosphere are nice inside as well. It's typically my first choice at Disney Springs.

The bar at Homecomin' was nice. The chicken biscuits are delicious and filling. I prefer sitting out by the lake, but the food at Homecomin' is awesome.

I also like the Frontera Cocina walk-up window. Not quite as nice as sitting by the lake at Jock Lindsay's or The Boathouse, but you can sit outside by the springs. Give me some chips and guac, a good taco, and a margarita, and I'm happy.

I also really like the Geyser Point Grill if I'm around the Magic Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge. Great food and really nice place to sit and relax near the lake.

My solo favorites are (random order): Boathouse - specifically the dockside bar (weather permitting), Wine Bar George, Jiko - can easily make a whole night of exploring the resort, Crews Cup lounge, bar at Flying Fish. The latter hasn't been mentioned yet - full menu is available and the bartenders are incredible. I also really enjoy a self-directed monorail crawl - exploring the resorts and hitting the various bars/lounges. Could do the same crawl approach at Boardwalk or in Disney Springs. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter