Favreau Enters Negotiations for Lucasfilm President

I myself struggle thinking of a cohesive land/story. Sure you can have Tatooine or Hoth or whatever but you really can’t have both. Also then once inside what would the attractions be like? I suppose a Falcon ride would work but what else?

The problem with building a land for Star Wars is that nothing is consistent. The story is completely transient. People recognize the music, the spaceships, lightsabers, the costumes, the general architecture and the characters. The most consistent backdrop is inside the Falcon. Each movie has a different planet(s).

What makes Harrpy Potter a great foundation as a land is that the settings is consistent through every single movie. You recognize where you are instantly.

There are places inside the SW universe that are instantly recognizable but they are too small to make a full land out of them. The Cantina is great, but do you really want a Mos Eisley land? Eh. You really want around a snow planet like Hoth? Each great for a single attraction, but probably not good for a land.

The following locations will not only bring star wars fans in droves, they'll bring non fans because its just beautiful (like pandora). Instead you have a pretty barron looking land with the prettiest aspect being the millenium falcon. I recently took my mother and brother for the first time to galaxys edge (they havnt seen any of the movies except my brother who saw the last jedi and really enjoyed it). They both were pretty disappointed and said they dont need to visit it again. And I as a huge star wars fan dont feel the need to visit. Their favorite part was the cantina actually lol.

Just a quick comment, do we really need two embedded videos in your signature?

The idea that people are taking this as fact, or even as a rumor, is laughable. This is entirely unsourced, and people must keep in mind that this is the film industry - there are countless reporters that often land scoops like this one, and there is radio silence about Favreau’s involvement save one site that doesn’t seem to have any kind of reputation, which actually seems to have misinterpreted a Hollywood Reporter article.

There has been no mention of Kennedy being ousted, nor of Favreau being named President. The only sources out there have said Favreau will likely have a larger role as a producer, whether Kennedy is there or not.

Also keep in mind that this user is the same one who stated there was terrible drama at LucasFilm and that the sequel trilogy will no longer be canon, citing sources from YouTube channels that do nothing but foam at the mouth whenever Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson are mentioned.

The problem with building a land for Star Wars is that nothing is consistent. The story is completely transient. People recognize the music, the spaceships, lightsabers, the costumes, the general architecture and the characters. The most consistent backdrop is inside the Falcon. Each movie has a different planet(s).

What makes Harrpy Potter a great foundation as a land is that the settings is consistent through every single movie. You recognize where you are instantly.

There are places inside the SW universe that are instantly recognizable but they are too small to make a full land out of them. The Cantina is great, but do you really want a Mos Eisley land? Eh. You really want around a snow planet like Hoth? Each great for a single attraction, but probably not good for a land.
Thats true. But why would 1 location have to be a full land? How about multiple show buildings where the outside could be a cohesive theme but inside the building is a miniland/attraction? or multiple outdoor areas but the size of say big thunder mountain?

Thats true. But why would 1 location have to be a full land? How about multiple show buildings where the outside could be a cohesive theme but inside the building is a miniland/attraction? or multiple outdoor areas but the size of say big thunder mountain?

I can kind of agree here. I don't feel that it had to be a "known location" but I'm fine with it also having a mix of things too. It is a theme park and I think they overemphasized "immersiveness" such as it is. I mean, I don't envision picture The Beast's Castle overlooking the Seven Dwarfs mine, which is just on the outskirts of the Hundred-Acre Wood. It's just the way it is layed out in the park. I think some people overthink it a bit, though my only real complaints are the lack of music and such. Really, Batuu was a good idea for a neutral location, but it could have more going on in it for sure.

Exactly, which is why I think Batuu was a great way to go about it. No it may not be recognizable but it’s consistent throughout and it puts you in that universe. I’d love to see other places from the movies but like you said you can’t do a place from here and a place from there in one land.

That’s not how they build lands these days. Maybe 20 years ago that’s how it would’ve been but Potter changed everything.

That’s not how they build lands these days. Maybe 20 years ago that’s how it would’ve been but Potter changed everything.

Thats true, but Potter created the lands that people knew from the books and movies which is why its successful. If Disney wanted to respond based on what Potter changed,than they shouldve either made a land from the movies or if they deemed it impossible because of the size or what have you, they should've not done it as a cohesive land but many little areas like mentioned by others (fantasyland, frontierland etc).

Thats true, but Potter created the lands that people knew from the books and movies which is why its successful. If Disney wanted to respond based on what Potter changed,than they shouldve either made a land from the movies or if they deemed it impossible because of the size or what have you, they should've not done it as a cohesive land but many little areas like mentioned by others (fantasyland, frontierland etc).
I wholeheartedly agree we need a Star Wars park :D
Disney took a huge risk with GE, and the argument has been around since it was announced. It's here now and as with anything there are people that enjoy it and those who don't. Funny enough the same lead imagineer that created both Wizarding worlds created GE. Also LucasFilm had a huge influence on the land so if anyone needs to fault make sure to also fault LucasFilm.
LucasFilm had so much influence that the little red "earning my ears" that new cm use cannot be used at GE and they can't wear their 1 year pin or trainer pin, also the reason why there are no fuelrod kiosks in the land, and other details

I wholeheartedly agree we need a Star Wars park :D
Disney took a huge risk with GE, and the argument has been around since it was announced. It's here now and as with anything there are people that enjoy it ands those who don't. Funny enough the same lead imagineer that created both Wizarding worlds created GE. Also LucasFilm had a huge influence on the land so if anyone needs to fault make sure to also fault LucasFilm.
Doug Chiang and the Lucasfilm story group were heavily involved. I watched all of them talk at Celebration.

Doug Chiang and the Lucasfilm story group were heavily involved. I watched all of them talk at Celebration.
He also talked during one of the Star Wars Nights, he's so thoughtful, every little and large detail in the land has a purpose, either blatant, like the falcon or small like the pottery inside the RotR queue. It's all pretty amazing when you take the time but of course, not everyone will do that and that's fine. I've always said the land is like an onion. Anyways i had a lovely 5 minute convo with him and got one of my most prized pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200819-180803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200819-180803_Gallery.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 12
He also talked during one of the Star Wars Nights, he's so thoughtful, every little and large detail in the land has a purpose, either blatant, like the falcon or small like the pottery inside the RotR queue. It's all pretty amazing when you take the time but of course, not everyone will do that and that's fine. I've always said the land is like an onion. Anyways i had a lovely 5 minute convo with him and got one of my most prized pics
Thats awsome. They are the right people for the job. Unfortunately they were managed by the wrong person (Kathleen Kennedy) and overridden to make a new land instead of their original vision of recreating said places. I can't imagine with their craftsmanship and attention to detail, how amazing the places I grew up with would've been a joy to explore. I really can't wait to see what happens with the Star Wars universe when Favreau takes the helm.

The idea that people are taking this as fact, or even as a rumor, is laughable. This is entirely unsourced, and people must keep in mind that this is the film industry - there are countless reporters that often land scoops like this one, and there is radio silence about Favreau’s involvement save one site that doesn’t seem to have any kind of reputation, which actually seems to have misinterpreted a Hollywood Reporter article.

There has been no mention of Kennedy being ousted, nor of Favreau being named President. The only sources out there have said Favreau will likely have a larger role as a producer, whether Kennedy is there or not.

Also keep in mind that this user is the same one who stated there was terrible drama at LucasFilm and that the sequel trilogy will no longer be canon, citing sources from YouTube channels that do nothing but foam at the mouth whenever Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson are mentioned.

He also was the one who had inside info saying Frozen 2 wouldn’t hit a billion and wouldn’t come close to the original....

A swing and a miss.

Not going to put much stock on any future movie insider knowledge....

Last edited:
I dunno, I don't fully buy in to all these rumors, but where there is smoke there is sometimes fire.

We'll see.

I don't think Disney would ever outright fire Kennedy anyway.

That's what I thought of as well. They managed to have multiple attractions at The Land pavilion while also having multiple dining experiences (including a TS).

I dunno, I don't fully buy in to all these rumors, but where there is smoke there is sometimes fire.

We'll see.

I don't think Disney would ever outright fire Kennedy anyway.

Yeah, I mean, people can hate her all they want, but she has a very successful track record. What I think will happen is that she will want to move on at the end of her contract, possibly to get a different production deal, and that Disney won't fight it or anything. That's not to say that they are dissatisfied with her specifically, but they will see the oppotunity to make big announcements.

Last edited:
Kennedy was never a creative talent. More of a management, budget person. So it is easy to pile on her, but really she is not the one who wrote or directed the movies. I guess we can blame her for green lighting the projects. As I said before, I just hope the rumors are true and we get a true creative person in charge (it sure has not hurt having Kevin Feige as the head of Marvel Studios).

There are plenty of reports she was active in oversight of the movies from a creative standpoint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter