February 2020 "Travel Disney" Exercise Challenge

Good morning from WDW!
My Fitbit says I broke 10000 steps yesterday. Airports, an evening at Disney Springs, and a room that’s practically as far from the lobby as you can get in Kidani - I’ll add 90 minutes walking. I’m a little disappointed that our room doesn’t face the savanna with the giraffes.
(170/600)

BonnieF, have a wonderful time at WDW!

105 minutes - horses, walking, and ballet sculpt youtube video

The ballet sculpt class was new to me, but so far I LOVE it and can see the use of these muscles really helping when it comes to riding. It came about because I was watching a Jay Swanson Paris vlog, and he tried a ballet sculpt class. I thought it looked like a lot of fun, so I searched for a video class to try on my own. It really was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I started feeling the effects in the middle of the night and am still a little sore today. I plan to stick with it and see what happens. If anyone else uses youtube videos for this, please send me your recommendations. It looks like there are lots of options.

420/1740

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith and piglet1979 for turning Beckoning Blue and to BonnieF and ljcrochet for turning Onward Orange! Everyone is on the board, and the TEAM is getting really close to Onward Orange as well.

Coincidentally, today's movie features Kirk Douglas, who passed away this morning at age 103.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

According to Wikipedia, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was filmed at various locations in The Bahamas and Jamaica, with the cave scenes filmed beneath what is now the Xtabi Resort on the cliffs of Negril." Looking at the website, the Xtabi Resort looks like it would be a nice winter getaway!

Yesterday was moving day- to Old Key West! We took the day to get settled, so car rental and food shopping 🙄
Got my walking in after dinner - a lovely stroll around the lake at the Boardwalk.
The weather isn’t great today - there’s a storm coming and while it’s warm, it’s also dark and breezy so no pool today. I’m going to try to get to Epcot to see the new movies 🤞🏻
(200/600)

I worked out at lunch and then walked the track with a few friends at DS's basketball practice.
That's my favorite kind of exercise! So pleasant when you get to do it with friends!
According to Wikipedia, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was filmed at various locations in The Bahamas and Jamaica, with the cave scenes filmed beneath what is now the Xtabi Resort on the cliffs of Negril." Looking at the website, the Xtabi Resort looks like it would be a nice winter getaway!
Whoa. I checked out the resort... it's definitely not the most modern-looking resort I've ever seen! Looks like several of the rooms don't have air conditioning. Hahaha. But for the price... not bad!

Adding 60 minutes from yesterday and today!
150/750

Congratulations to the TEAM for turning Onward Orange! Everyone's having a great beginning to the month!

Conveniently, the airline magazine on my just-completed trip had a story about sites that inspired scenes in Frozen II (2019). Since the movie is pretty recent, I'll put this discussion under a spoiler warning.

Icelandair's Stopover magazine, Winter 2020, has an article about Icelandic sites that inspired scenes in Frozen II (starts on page 24). According to the article, titled "The Disney Iceland Experience," "the storytelling team behind Frozen II describes Norway's fairytale landscape as being particularly well suited to the strong and optimistic nature of Anna. Iceland, on the other hand, feels mythical and extreme--its landscapes match Elsa's supernatural characer."

The article notes that:

Before Elsa crosses the Dark Sea, she is on a black-sand beach with a rock pillar. This scene resembles Reynisfjara beach near Vik on Iceland's south coast.

Once Elsa reaches Ahtohallan, she realizes it's a glacier. Vatnajokull, Europe's largest ice cap that is part of Vatnajokull National Park, has numerous glaciers running from it.

Meanwhile, Anna and Olaf visit a large cavern inspired by Prihnukagigur volcano, not far from Reykjavik.

We finally hit Epcot yesterday. The weather was a bit loony - quite hot (85!), very windy - blew my bag right off the table!! I was too busy saving my pear cider to grab it ☺☺
The sun came and went so it wasn’t great walking. But we looked at some of the art booths around the lake. I have to say, I was expecting more than DIsney-inspired pieces. There are a couple of make-your-own booths. Both involve spin art. You can make a picture at one and a silk scarf at another. I might do that one. The effect is like marbling. Very pretty.
We were both felt very overheated so we decided to head home the pool. The walk from England to the bus felt like crossing the Sahara! The construction has you go in such a convoluted path to get around the golf ball - I thought we’d never get there. It took over 20 minutes ! The pool felt wonderful after that!
I’ll add 60 minutes yesterday. (260/600)

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for turning Onward Orange (and to BonnieF for saving her drink!).

Today's movie is Coco (2017). Pixar's team spent time in Mexico gathering inspiration. Here's an article about 11 real-life places that inspired scenes from the movie.

Friday was still chilly and very windy, so we were off to Disney Springs for lunch. We are appreciating having a car on this trip - it’s a pleasure not to have to walk out to the busses. We always seem to just miss one! So it’s a quick ride over from OKW. Lunch was at Maria and Enzo’s which is decorated for Carnevale. It looks beautiful! Lunch was delicious, too! As part of the celebration, they bring a few extras to your table- crudités for starters, meatballs with your entree, and a fried dough cookie for dessert. It was lovely! I’ll try to put up some pix. Hopefully I can get them right side up 🥴
We took a good walk all around. DH hasn’t been since it was redone. I did a little shopping, and we headed back for a relaxing afternoon and evening. Our DD is on the plane down as I write, so we’ll be hitting the parks for the next few days.
Adding 40 minutes for yesterday. (300/600)

Friday was still chilly and very windy, so we were off to Disney Springs for lunch. We are appreciating having a car on this trip - it’s a pleasure not to have to walk out to the busses. We always seem to just miss one! So it’s a quick ride over from OKW. Lunch was at Maria and Enzo’s which is decorated for Carnevale. It looks beautiful! Lunch was delicious, too! As part of the celebration, they bring a few extras to your table- crudités for starters, meatballs with your entree, and a fried dough cookie for dessert. It was lovely! I’ll try to put up some pix. Hopefully I can get them right side up 🥴
We took a good walk all around. DH hasn’t been since it was redone. I did a little shopping, and we headed back for a relaxing afternoon and evening. Our DD is on the plane down as I write, so we’ll be hitting the parks for the next few days.

@sophy1996, thank you for the trip down memory lane! I love Coco, and we had part of our honeymoon in Mexico City. And, we were there for Day of the Dead, too! It was fascinating to see the families having huge picnics in the cemetery and celebrating their loved ones. It wasn’t as well known in the States then and I found it a wonderful sentiment. Another place thats familiar is Teotehuacan. It was amazing to see! I actually climbed the Pyramid of the Moon! Wearing 4 inch heels 😂😂😂😂. Ahhh, the old days! so many memories!
Adding 40 minutes for yesterday. (300/600)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!